Guest viewing is limited

THR Made it... my random thoughts

I almost forgot.... when the surgeon came in to talk to me he told me that I kept waking myself up and smacking the white sheet that guards your face. He said, I kept saying "I want to go snorkeling" and then I would hit the sheet and pass out again lol
He also told me that my hip was much worse than the 2 MRI's showed. He said the ball was covered in bone spurs, and completely arthritic. AND it wasn't even shaped like a ball. It was oval!!!
 
Last edited:
Stay that extra night and get spoilt it won't do any harm. I tried snorkelling once could only either breathe and keep my eyes closed or open my eyes and hold my breath never have been big into water based sports mind you my 10 year old is a brilliant swimmer :swim: apparently people do say strange things don't know if I did but I did pull my iv line out as I came round :flabber: sounds like you are well rid of that bit of bone apparently mine was similar loads of spurs and a big loose bit of bone in the cup no wonder these things hurt ! Look after yourself don't rush anything :wave:
 
Aren’t you glad you got that nasty hip out @Mascaramom? Snorkeling during thr, interesting combination!

Don’t worry about staying the extra night or som what is important is that they, and you, feel you are ready to cope with your home set up. I only have two steps and a front threshold to get into my house. I won’t even think about going to basement until home pt thinks I am ready. For some reason feel no pressure to go down there to do laundry at the moment.

Keep resting and build up your strength.
 
You goof! Dreaming about snorkeling, haha!
I have to laugh because they always tell us how bad our hip looks afterward.
Like they're ever going to say "Actually, it wasn't too bad after all, maybe you could've got another
5 yrs out of it." I still want to SEE bad :heehee: I think it would be interesting....I think :shrug:
Hope you're comfy, cozy and relaxed. Have a good sleep :yawn: :sleep:
@Mascaramom
 
Snorkeling during Surgery
Name for an alternative band?

Hope today finds your pain managed and everyone is being good to you!
 
@Mascaramom I hope you'll be back to snorkeling soon :heehee:

@Layla I've had that same thought...does the surgeon ever say that it wasn't that bad and you had the surgery too early? My OS told me my hip was one of the worst he had seen and didn't know how I was still walking on it. I think they tell each of us some version of this lol!
 
Agree!! @jaydub63 I laugh every time I hear or read it. I mean C'mon, what else would they say?!!
You take comfort in hearing it about your own hip because it validates the pain you've suffered, it validates your sitting on the sidelines watching life blow past you, it validates all the pre-op stress and anxiety that you allowed to course through your body and mind.

I say I'd like to see it. Given the opportunity, I'm not 100% sure. A picture may suffice. But I'm an emotional weirdo who quietly cried myself to sleep the night before my op as I was able to sleep with my natural God given hip one last time. It was difficult for me. It was mine and served me well up until the last two years. I fell asleep trying to make peace with losing it and mourning that loss.....

Hey @Mascaramom
I hope you're doing well, your pain is well managed and you're getting lots of rest.
Hopefully you master the steps and they cut you loose. You'll really thrive at home.
I found steps to be easy after convincing myself they were insurmountable. We have a friend in the forum
@gaulsuerou who had bi-lateral hip surgery last summer. She was climbing 13 or 17....forget...steps to bed at night after a couple days but she turned out to be a phenom of sorts. Her recovery was / is amazing.
Check out her thread sometime.
Hope today is good!
 
Congratulations, @Mascaramom!!! Sounds as though you had an eventful operation... snorkling....:rotfl:. When I had my wisdom teeth surgically extracted, the doctor told me that I giggled every time the saw touched my jaw - it obviously tickled the anesthetized me (which SO wouldn't have been the casehad I been awake to experience it.:snork:). Here's hoping your healing goes well/quickly!!
 
Hi there @Mascaramom
Hope you're doing well today! Give us a report once you get settled in at home.
Curious what you thought about navigating the stairs at the hospital and whether
yours at home look overwhelming after practicing there. I found them easier than I imagined.
Wishing you a peaceful comfy day!
 
IM FINALLY HOME!!!! Today was Full of up's and down's. I woke up this morning with a headache like I have never had before and it pretty much controlled me all day. They said it was from the spinal block, and gave me migraine meds through IV. During one of my trips to the physical therapy room, I realized about halfway down the hallway, that although I had incredible pain in my side it wasn't hip pain.... It finally sunk in what everyone has been saying. I burst into tears, happy tears, but I think I freaked out my therapist lol . I haven't been able to eat much for fear I couldn't hold it down, that probably has a lot to do with the headache also. I have also found great comfort in knowing that my girls are home and happy and their routine hasn't really changed except they get to play with their aunties a little more than normal since mommy isn't home...

Because my steps only have a railing on one side and I have a landing in the middle, we had to practice going up-and-down the stairs on both sides. They even took me to the main stairs of the hospital for a final practice Instead of the wooden ones in the PT room...
@Layla I was a bit nervous but when I got home I got up those stairs like a champ lol it did seem easier.


So, in a few months, who's going snorkeling with me?
 
We southern hicks stateside would say
good job, girly girl!
And you will do wonderful sure as a froggy bumps his butt a-hoppin...good lord willing and the creeks don't rise.
Glad you are all done with that bad hip, and the temporary recovery stuff is what's left.
Healing hugs!

@Mojo333 where are you from? You have all the slang!!!
 
You goof! Dreaming about snorkeling, haha!
I have to laugh because they always tell us how bad our hip looks afterward.
Like they're ever going to say "Actually, it wasn't too bad after all, maybe you could've got another
5 yrs out of it." I still want to SEE bad :heehee: I think it would be interesting....I think :shrug:
Hope you're comfy, cozy and relaxed. Have a good sleep :yawn: :sleep:
@Mascaramom

@Layla. I asked my doctor first thing, “did I REALLY need it?!”
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom