TKR Macknit's recovery thread

I do wish I had gotten a good PT. Mine were all about ROM. They were nice people, but they pushed me too far, literally and figuratively, causing me countless setbacks.
 
@Macknit you are sounding so positive and upbeat. Hopefulness is such an important piece of all this. Yes, you are sore because LOOK at all you are doing. I do not know how people return to work so soon after this surgery. I feel like such a wimp.

You have encouraged me to be more open-minded about PT. It sounds like you are having a positive experience. I hope I have a good experience, too. I do know that as hard as it is for me to do so, I am going to FORCE myself to speak up if the PT becomes too painful or aggressive.

Recovery is a very slow process, isn't it.

Hang in there.
 
@tlfiore ..."Hopeful" what a great word, I still whine and moan about the little aches and pains, but I think I am hopeful:yes:!!!

I am seeing progression too (yes, I remember the recovery drawing, it is the Truth, but I must be in one of those linear moments...only a moment, but I'm going to hold onto that!!)

The other positive for me is that I'm getting regular sleep most nights...only 6-7 hours, but that is definitely so helpful! You will definitely be there...it's just not as soon as we want.

I have to share though, one of my co-workers asked me how I was doing, and I was honest....I wish I could have waited until the week after Thanksgiving to start back. She is very sweet (age of my daughter) and said, but you look better this week!!:rotfl: It was so innocent and authentic, I could only think..."Wow...how bad did I look at week 10!?"
 
Oops it posted twice...I'll use this as my edit!
 
@tlfioreI have to share though, one of my co-workers asked me how I was doing, and I was honest....I wish I could have waited until the week after Thanksgiving to start back. She is very sweet (age of my daughter) and said, but you look better this week!!:rotfl: It was so innocent and authentic, I could only think..."Wow...how bad did I look at week 10!?"

Your posts make my day! You are doing well and I appreciate your comments to my posts. Thank you for always taking the time to care.

And YES...the above comment is hysterical!

:loveshwr:
 
I now need to work on embracing the fact that it does take a full year!
Amen. I'm having trouble with this one.

I'm so glad you are still getting a lot out of your PT. I like mine, but I don't get a massage!

it's just not as soon as we want.
The true story of joint replacement in one sentence!
 
Someone recently posted that once that saw improvement it started happening more frequently and they could see it again and again (maybe Tykey!?) I'm DEFINITELY seeing it and turning a much tighter corner! It is so-o refreshing...and encouraging to be at this point in recovery!!

I'm inching up in my daily walks and my weekend walks are now up to 2 miles....I have tender muscles, but nothing in the way of pain or even much sweling in the knee! I'm sticking to my recumbent bike every day in 5 minute stints and then walking at work for just 15 minutes. So far no increased knee pain!

It will be a low key week for me this year, as 3 of my daughters are going to in-laws, the sons are Navy and not getting away this year until Christmas, so the Thanksgiving feast is for 4 of us. The smallest we've ever had! Our oldest grandson and his aunt, our daughter #4 (child 5)! That's it!!
I'm really looking forward to it and to watching football
[Bonesmart.org] Macknit's recovery thread
while I knit
[Bonesmart.org] Macknit's recovery thread
!!!

l hope everyone is progressing nicely on this week to be grateful and recognize your progress!

[Bonesmart.org] Macknit's recovery thread

Happy Thanksgiving to all on this side of the pond !!!
 
Thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes. It is wonderful to hear you are improving.

I have adopted your practice of scheduling/incorporating movement by diligently getting up and moving/walking, even if just for a bit, every time I’m sitting. I feel and walk better since I started this.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
 
I'm glad to hear the regular movement helps. When I saw OS for my 12 weeks on Friday, he was so positive and I asked about distance for walking, his answer whatever feels good and just don't fall on snow and ice!?

Our first big snowstorm is predicted Tuesday :snow plough: ...at that point, I'll stop walking outside and move to inside and using the elliptical we have had for several years.... It still is in great shape and is a perfect way to get movement without risking even more than I already have to risk by going to work still!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving too!
 
@Macknit Where are you in Oregon?! My son and his sweetheart are flying in from Oregon on Tuesday! My surgery is Wednesday! I hope they aren’t delayed by snow! [so many exclation points, but yikes!!! I’d like to see them before I go under the knife!]
 
Wishing you a lovely Thankgiving such a lovely tradition sadly in Europe it's not celebrated which is a shame as nowadays families only seem to really get together just for Christmas and here in Portugal Christmas is basically just one and a half days they celebrate Christmas Eve after 8 pm (most work until 7pm,) as their main occasion with Santa and then Christmas day is equivalent to our (British) boxing day on the 26th - the Portuguese are all back to work as normal on the 26th so a very short holiday.
Fortunately as I am British my DH (Portuguese) has to conform to both so basically we get to enjoy the full 3 days and my daughter always takes the week to fly home x
I too am following your idea regarding movement as sometimes when I sit to long my knee gets so stiff so this way it's being gently exercised- on the other hand I'm drinking copious amounts of tea haha (not mentioning the biscuits....) :tantrum:
Anyway wishing you a good safe week at work and hope your forthcoming storm isn't too bad xx
 
@Helizabug Oh my! Surgery the day before Thanksgiving? That happened to me 3 years ago...different surgery, but all my kiddos handled Thanksgiving! Best of luck and hoping your recovery is good. The first weeks are rough, but BoneSmart was so helpful in getting through those early days and weeks!

So, I'm in Central Oregon, East of the Cascades. If they're flying out of PDX, they should be OK, they'll have rain but just a tad E the snow starts in the mountains and heads over to the Rockies!

Blessings for the week!
 
Thanks @Sara61, Tea and biscuits sounds lovely! I'm waiting on a healthy dinner and I'm hungry!

It will be interesting with the snow....so far every year since 2016 we have had a day or two where the office has closed... I'm really hoping the office closes with the storm :yes:
 
@Macknit They are flying out of Eugene, so that’s good. I hope the snow gives you some days off work and you’re all set for comfort food. Enjoy Thursday! I expect to be thankful to be on the road to recovery. And planning a knitting project to keep my hands busy as I get more alert.
 
Oh yay!!! @luvcats it's another knitter! Welcome again, @Helizabug and I'm glad it's on the W side of the state!!
Blessings on your busy Wednesday!!
 
Last edited:
Yay! Another knitter!
@Helizabug I actually took up knitting so I'd have something to keep me occupied while I had to sit around. I couldn't follow a plot in a good book, but I could just about keep rows straight. So don't pick too ambitious a project! lol Now, of course, I'm completely addicted.

Right before a holiday is tough, but it helps that more people have time off and can be supportive. I had surgery right before Xmas last year. I feel like I missed the whole thing.
 
I’m just going to knit a baby blanket for Project Linus. Simple to do and affirming that I can do something beyond myself. I hope the holiday goes well for you. Keep dividing the time between celebrating and resting appropriately! So you can keep celebrating for a long time.
 
Great idea for knitting! I've just been trying to finish projects I started over the past few years... one's a hat, one's a sweater. I'm hoping to get some knitting time in this holiday weekend!

Our location (higher elevation and closer to the mountains) started the snow storm with about 4" last night. It then picks up again at 10 AM today...so work is on, but I'm hoping that tomorrow is closed!:catdance:
 
Fingers crossed no work for you tomorrow far better to stay warm /safe and cosy indoors.
Such a difference in climate - I was just telling Tykey how I find 17 degrees ( at night jolly cold) yet the majority of tourists here are stil running around in shorts & t shirts Lol.
Hope all is well with your knees- keep them safe xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom