Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your a champ!
Well done. You made it. Happy recovery.
And, I wish you home, eating non-hospital food soon.
In a few days, you should treat yourself :cheers:
Hugs.
From Jesse
 
Well done you are on the way to regaining your life back. :flwrysmile: I am five weeks post OP and very positive for the future and starting to make plans.
 
Congratulations!! So happy for you and I admire how strong you are! I have had a tough day anticipating July 1st when I get my new knees. It is the anticipation that kills you. Hope I feel as great after. Stay strong!

I am so glad I had found this forum. I have learned so much and don't feel so alone in my journey. Thanks to everyone for being there.
 
I was the same, I live in New Zealand and I was hardly told anything about what was to happen after the OP, we don't have PT for 6 weeks and I was even not told to ice and elevate so this forum has been a god send full of good advice and just knowing there is other people out there going through the same thing is fantastic, I have learnt a lot and feel I have coped much better with it all.
 
Luis's!!! I am so happy for you! Thought about you all day! Rest and let the wonderful people their do their job and take good care of you. You and I are headed to our new lives! :happydance:
 
Update for day 1: femoral block is slowly wearing off, sooooooo its slowly getting more painful. Not to worry, as I have dilaudid (SPELLING?) In my IV drip. Staff/nurses are lovely and helpful. Room is yukky but if I get good pain management, who cares!

Ii cant tell you how incredibly proud I am of myself. And I never really say things like that. I walked into the OR feeling confident and completely giving the surgeon and staff my trust. One tear ran down the side of my vace as I lay there but anesthesiologist quickly turned it to a chuckle. I woke upalmost 5 hours later feeling great! Of course reality is settling in with pain slowly coming, BUT it IS manageable and guess what.......I MADE IT THROUGH DAY 1 YIPPIEEEEEE
 
You are awesome to be able to post on day 1. Congratulations on making it through day 1 and now on to more recovery and getting your life back.
 
Fantastic - amazing that you were able to post so soon. :)
Hello to the other side. I'm anxiously waiting to join you in two weeks from today. :scare:
 
Gidem...even though my wait was very short it was nerve wracking. Try to keep your mind busy and it will help.

Its 1 am and I finally got a chunk of sleeptime...(about 3 hours). Its 24 hours since the start of recovery. Im feeling like my legs are cement logs!!! I am praying that standing time after breakfast will go smoothly. If hubby is here I will ask him to videotape my first "stand up " on the baby knees LOL
 
4:30 am.....Long night of on and off sleep. Waking up from pain in left leg, then falling out from button push. wonderful staff! I consider myself fortunate! My lovely nurse tells me Im doing better than most.
 
Congratulations :yay: I only had one knee done and I am amazed at those of you that have both :cheers: You are now on the other side. Wishing you good luck and praying for you as you begin this journey :angel:
 
Day 2 Longest day feel like ****. Hardest thing is getting extension...and people making me feellike I need to get it right NOW. Good news is I stood up onc e this morning and 5x this afternoon. I am still too numb to walk. I bouldnt videotape.. against hospital rules. forgive typos....highly medicated. I feel like im the only person against forcing extension. Please someone tell me I'm not crazy. I can get to 75 flexion and probably 5 or 7 extension.
 
Oh gosh, day 2? You're doing fine! That doesn't mean you don't need to let your knees straighten, gently, but you are ahead of where I was!
 
Can someone please tell me if its normal to NOT get 0 extension on day 2. It literally HURTS to put my left leg straight. Also I still feel numbness in my thighs from thr femoral block so I cant walk but can come to standing (very difficult go engage muscles,,, notpainful) I feel like a total loser :(
 
Oh Luisa you are NOT A LOSER! No no no, you are like a hero in my eyes. You marched in the OR and let them do what they do best. Now its time for you to relax and let your new knees heal from the trauma. Don't pay any attention to what other people think you should be doing.. You are fine Luisa, you came through a huge surgery and you were able to post on day 1...... Your knee has time to extend and it will when the swelling goes down.
Oh listen to me, the big knee expert:rotfl:. I haven't even had my surgery yet, but here I am telling you what to do. :egypdance: But hey I've been reading the posts here for so long that I almost have the mantra memorized. :yes!: I think you'll be going home soon, so just elevate, ice your knees, do your excercise and reat. Thats it. You are not a loser, you are a survivor of knee replacement surgery.:ok:
 
and apparently I'm not a speller either. I ment rest, not reat. :heehee:
 
Luisa you are doing fine :friends:

Your knee will be very swollen (remember the muscles/nerves have been cut and pulled about and the bones have been sawed and hammered) and it will be hard to get a great bend and stretch until the swelling has started to go down.

Just take it easy and rest :sleep: - do not let anyone bully you into doing things that are too painful :yes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom