Guest viewing is limited

THR Lucy's Recovery

Thanks for the anniversary wishes @Layla. I have a little more pain than usual today, and I know it's not ODIC related. The pain is at the top of my thigh toward the back. It's only when I'm walking (i.e., putting weight on my leg). It's discouraging, because I really was beginning to feel good. I guess I'll just ice and elevate, but would love to know what's going on.
 
You're welcome! Please try not to worry. It seems we experience so many different sensations and migrating discomfort as we're in the early weeks of healing, which you still are. Your body is adjusting to the prosthetic and your gait is changing as a result of the surgery. You may be favoring, or you may be feeling the result of a misstep you took yesterday, without even realizing. I think your idea of ice and rest is a good one.

I recall many times being concerned about something I was feeling and it was soon gone, replaced by some other annoying or questionable discomfort. Unless it's increasing in intensity, or duration, I'd try not to be concerned. As always, if you're truly concerned about something, don't hesitate to call the office of your surgeon. I'm sure a member of his care team could offer the reassurance you're seeking through conversation in regard to your concerns.

Wishing you comfort. :console2:
@HipLucy
 
Very comforting @Layla and so true. One strange sensation or pain is quickly replaced by another. It's just so hard not to find them worrisome. All I know is I'm no Al Roker. I was watching him scoot around the weather map yesterday on the evening news, only one month ahead of me with posterior THR. Of course who knows how many painkillers he's taking to my zero medications. I know, I know, don't compare. Easier said than done.
 
It is hard to not let all the little weird aches, pains, niggles, zips and zaps that pop up bother us. We really have to use the patience muscle, a lot! :snork:

And none of us are Al Roker nor have access to the medical assistance that he has. I get he's trying to promote the benefits of the surgery but think he may be causing folks to feel that they aren't recovering well.
 
Love your take on Al Roker, @Elf1. I do think his promotion does more harm than good. But I may be guilty of that myself. Yesterday my son and his longtime girlfriend got married at the DC courthouse. The Uber driver asked if it was a shotgun wedding. I don't think so, but time will tell. At a little over 9 weeks, I put on my dress and tights, took a Celebrex, and off I went. No cane, no limp, no evidence of surgery. I hadn't taken Celebrex since the early weeks after surgery and don't intend to take again for a while. But wow! Zero pain throughout the day. I looked better than Al Roker.
 
Absolutely, @FCBayern. Now that I can reach below the top shelf of the oven there's no stopping me. I usually make three pies for Christmas: mince, pecan, and eggnog. My sister does the prime rib and potatoes, and I do the Brussels sprouts and salad. Done!
 
Week 10: Shortly after my surgery on Oct. 14 my colleagues sent me a huge bouquet and a helium balloon with the words "Get Well." Not "Get Well Soon," but simply "Get Well." It was like a direct order. I have watched that balloon cling tenaciously to the ceiling. A few weeks ago it began a gradual, very gradual descent. It has become the symbol of my recovery, a beacon of sorts. Today it's almost at the floor. Despite some pretty grim weeks I actually am beginning to be amazed at what I can do. I am still under hip precautions, but I am reaching behind the foot of my operated leg to pull up a sock, loading the bottom rack of the dishwasher, stepping over the rim of the tub to take my shower without much thought. And despite some stiffness, I have very little pain. Lots of recovery still to come, but what a change. I also have the energy and desire to bake and prepare for Christmas. Around week 6 or so, I remember feeling blue and unmotivated. So if you're earlier on in your recovery, take heart! I expected too much too soon.
 
Great update! You're doing well @HipLucy
I love the balloon story. You're taking it slow without unrealistic expectations and making wonderful progress. Thanks for sharing and reassuring those following behind to be patient, good things will come. May it only get better for you.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Wonderful progress report and very encouraging for those of us still in process. Thank you and have a wonderful Christmas season. :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::carols:
 
Thanks for the update. I am at 6 weeks and feeling blue and unmotivated like you were. I am not healing as fast as I did with hip#1. I have outside thigh pain on both legs and have taken some pain meds to give myself a day off. Feel like I have a brick on the outside of my leg where it's numb( anterior) and I'll never get better. Glad to hear there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I guess I'll have to buy a balloon.
 
@leejaa Thanks for the good wishes and Merry Christmas to you!
@ritabell I know we're not supposed to compare our recovery to others' or even to our own. But we do, don't we? And the well-meaning inquiries from friends and family don't help. But I thought 6 weeks was the pits. Every day seemed to bring a different worry. But let me hand you a balloon . Can't wait to hear you report that the brick is gone and you're feeling optimistic.
 
Thank you @VSlowLife and Merry Christmas to you! Last Christmas I had just received my diagnosis of arthritis, which came on me very suddenly. I was really depressed and worried. What a difference this year.
 
Thank you @HipLucy!

I am so glad this Christmas will be a more joyful Christmas for you. Enjoy those cookies!

Yes, getting that first diagnosis certainly takes the wind out of our sails. So much to learn about and understand to prepare for a successful surgery/recovery. Thank you for contributing to the forum for the rest of us newbies!
 
Great update and reality check reminder...I'm bookmarking your poignant balloon story...:roseshwr:

Yes, we need to Get Well.
Soon is subjective....
Lots of improvements to come and you are going great, so keep the faith.
[Bonesmart.org] Lucy's Recovery
 
@HipLucy

I am so relieved to hear your 6 week story about every day bringing a new worry because I have started to feel like I'm not psychologically adept at this recovery or the last one and I become embarrassed that I'm not "taking things in my stride" or "going with the flow". I go for massage and stretching at PT and every day I ask him the same questions about why this or that hurts and feel so insecure. He's very patient but What must he think?

Heeding your advice, I am looking forward to my recovery improving in the upcoming weeks as this has been a year too since my symptoms started and I had the 2 surgeries. Sometimes I think Im still in shock that this has happened to me out of the blue at all and I am still angry about it. I haven't gotten to that point where I'm happy about it yet but when I read these posts I know I will get there. That's why I keep reading all these encouraging stories every AM.

ENJOY this pain free holiday season!!!!
 
Week 11
My sister in London has stage 4 colon cancer. I was over there helping her last year when my hip arthritis first showed up. Now she's in a nursing home. I am going over there Jan. 29 and expect to stay two months. Just when I was looking forward to going back to the office after working so much from home. Any advice on airline travel? I guess it's time to get rid of the raised toilet seat and learn how to sit on a regular toilet.
 
Good Evening @HipLucy
I'm sorry to hear about your sister. What a loving gesture for you to travel and spend that amount of time with her. I'm sure she's looking forward to your visit and will love the time spent with you.

Our Admin, Jamie, posted some helpful hints for another member (onestepatatime) who was traveling about three months post op just as you will be. You'll find a copy of it below. Some may pertain, some may not.

* Pack light. One medium size bag you can check and a carry-on. Make sure the bag has good, sturdy wheels. Be sure and pack pain medications in your carry on luggage.

* Have someone take you to the airport and pick you up after you're back home. They can drop you at your terminal gate. Find out which airlines have curbside check in. You might want to book with that airline.

* When you book your tickets, ask for handicapped assistance. This should be a wheelchair and a porter to wheel you and your bag. You just sit. The porter will check your bag in for you and take you to the gate. You'll board first and can take the wheelchair all the way down the ramp if needed.

* Try to book an aisle seat so you can stretch out into the aisle if needed.

* Try to book a direct flight so you don't have to change planes. Otherwise you'll need wheelchair assistance at every airport where you must change to another airplane.

* Aboard the plane, ask your flight attendant to make sure you have a wheelchair waiting at the gate when you arrive. Take some zip lock bags and ask the flight attendant for ice to use in flight if that would make you more comfortable.

* Once you arrive and get your wheelchair at the start of the ramp, the porter will take you to pick up your luggage and to whatever point where you'll be picked up (do have someone pick you up at the airport).

Don't go if you think it's going to be too much. Really take stock of how you feel before you decide.

In addition, following is an article on flying from the BoneSmart Library -


I hope this helps. Have a great week!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom