TKR LTKR May 3

newmect

Country
United States United States
I’m glad I read this thread. I also feel no decrease in pain and oxy isn’t helping at all. I’m stopping it because I‘m sick of the nausea and grogginess and lack of effectiveness with my pain. It’s day 8 post TLKR for me. I wish I knew when the pain would lessen. This is VERY discourging. I’m a 72 year old female. My physical therapist told me today that my surgical pain is over and now my pain is from swelling. I’m resting, icing, and elevating practically all day!

Try not to be discouraged, newmect! It’s a long process, this rehab. Not sure surgical pain is over in 8 days! Yes, swelling is uncomfortable, but there is real pain with nerves, muscles, etc trying to heal from surgery. It just can’t be rushed. I’m almost 6 weeks with my 2nd knee and I still have pain.

I’m glad I read this thread. I also feel no decrease in pain and oxy isn’t helping at all. I’m stopping it because I‘m sick of the nausea and grogginess and lack of effectiveness with my pain. It’s day 8 post TLKR for me. I wish I knew when the pain would lessen. This is VERY discourging. I’m a 72 year old female. My physical therapist told me today that my surgical pain is over and now my pain is from swelling. I’m resting, icing, and elevating practically all day!

I definitely agree about wishing I knew when the pain would decrease. Not having any point of reference does make it more difficult.

I wish I could take ibuprofen, but obviously that doesn’t work with the blood thinners.
We will get through this…somehow. I am trying to take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time.

I am finally getting back here, and I apologize for the length of this post. I'm a 72 year old female. My decision to have knee replacement was complicated since I was having barely any knee pain. My pain was in my left butt area (duration 8 months) and I thought I needed a hip replacement on the left hip (felt like what I only imagine is bone-on-bone pain, when bending or after sitting). Well, the pain from recovery of knee surgery has made me forget all about any butt pain. When I'm not in pain, I'm fighting nausea from the oxycodone. I thought the oxy wasn't helping me at all, so yesterday I decided to stop it. But I was completely unable to sleep last night due to knee pain, so I took 5 mg at midnight. Took another 5 mg at 1:30. Another 5 mg at 4:45. Maybe got some sleep. So now the payback is wondering when I'm going to lose my breakfast. My plan is to take oxy only for sleeping. And try to only take 5 mg at bedtime, and maybe another 5 if I can't go back to sleep after the wake-up nightly pee-time.

I've gone to my knee surgeon for several years, getting cortisone injections here and there. No cortisone from Aug. 2018 until February 2021 when I injured my knee carrying a heavy log carrier into the house. At the time, my husband was newly diagnosed with Hodgkins's Lymphoma (transformed from CLL) and there was NO time for me to have any physical issues. So this knee surgeon gave me a cortisone injection but took new x-rays which showed extreme bone-on-bone arthritis. So why did I never feel it? I told him about the hip pain (I had a right hip replacement in November 2020, and that hip didn't show arthritis in the x-rays, it was necessary to do an MRI). His hip doc had refused to order an MRI so the hip surgery was done at a different hospital with a different ortho practice.

He said we would get through this with cortisone every 3 months. I was doing care for my husband round-the-clock - taking him several days a week for blood draws, him incontinent in a wheelchair, learning the ropes of navigating all that, having palliative care, helping him several times during the night. Then he came home from another hospitalization on hospice so family could finally have in-person visits after the past cold winter months of isolation. The hope of him getting a port for chemo/antibody treatment was over. His blood was not improving, no matter how many infusions he got. He passed away peacefully March 18. He never had pain, just extreme shortness of breath from his anemia.

On March 26, amongst myriad appointments with lawyers, banks, probate, etc., I had my surgery consultation and once again, the knee doc said no to any investigation into my hip pain. He thinks it is related to the knee and once the knee is strong the hip pain will resolve. Maybe he's right. Either way, the knee looked horrible in his x-ray, so I also thought "well, maybe if I need another hip replacement, the strong new knee will offer the new hip a better support for it's recovery if I need it done."

So here I am. I took the earliest surgery date he could give me, which happened to fall on my birthday! The hospital brought he chocolate cake on my lunch tray! And up it came a few hours later, I assumed my nausea then was due to general anesthesia, which I had never had before. I stayed in the hospital one night due to the nausea and urinary retention. My dear son is living with me until I don't need his help any longer. He is able to work from home. It is a major blessing having him here.

So as I said in my earlier post, my physical therapist thinks I can stop the oxy and don't need a walker either. She is happy with my progress with ROM but is concerned about the nausea. No fevers, vitals are always fine. I took hydrocodone with my hip replacement and had no problem with nausea. So I wonder if now is the right time to tough things out with just tylenol during the day and oxy at night only. Or should I call my doc and see if they recommend another drug strategy.

I have a wonderful ice machine thing that works great and I'm spending time every day laying in bed with more elevation. The swelling has noticeably decreased in the last day or so.

I'm glad you all are here. I've learned a lot from the sticky messages and topics. And now it's time for my shower! Yes, a highlight of the day!

I had nausea for a few weeks while taking Norco (hydrocodeine) only with my 2nd knee, not my first. Once I was able to cut down the pain meds and substitute Tylenol, my stomach settled down. Ginger is very good in helping this problem - I take a liquid extract available on Amazon.
So sorry about your husband. You have a lot on your plate. Be easy with yourself. Prayers coming.

Hello @newmect - and :welome: to recovery.

My sympathy on the passing of your husband. :console2:

I'm sorry you still have nausea. Since it's being so persistent and it's probably too soon to stop the Oxycodone, phone you surgeon or your own doctor and ask for a prescription for an anti-nausea medication, such as Zofran.

Here are our recovery guidelines - lots of information to help you with recovery:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi @ newmect ,
I've moved some posts from LateRainNYC's thread and started a recovery thread for you.

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in this thread from now on . We will see them here, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts .

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle

My physical therapist told me today that my surgical pain is over and now my pain is from swelling.
Your Physical Therapist (PT) told you wrong. You've recently had a very major operation, during which all the components inside and outside your knee were affected. There's absolutely no way that all the surgical pain could be over in just 5 days.
If your PT genuinely believes that, she/he needs more training and experience.

Knee replacement is not a surgery you can recover from in just a few weeks. It's a long, slow recovery, taking as long as a full year before all you tissues have recovered. You will be able to do most things by about 3 months, though.

If you were expecting a fast recovery, try to re-set your expectations or you're going to feel very concerned and frustrated .

I'll give you our recovery guidelines in my next post.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I didn't see this new thread when I started my own recovery thread with a boring title. Is there any way to combine them?

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread as requested. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Thanks for letting us know you threads needed to be merged,
Chris

Last edited:
If you want a new title just tell us what it is and we’ll change it for you. :flwrysmile:

Thank you all for merging my posts. I'm not getting here often because sitting at my computer is only doable for short periods. When I try to log in on any other device, it says my password is wrong. I'm wondering if perhaps that's because I haven't logged out on my laptop.

I'm doing better now that I got the oxy changed to hydrocodone and started taking more of it!!

The short articles are VERY helpful!! I knew this would not be a fast recovery, but I didn't know the pain meds would be so ineffective. Better now that I'm not trying to take such a small amount. I need to plan for the weekend and make sure the meds last. If not I must reorder tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help here!!

If you want to, you can reset your password to one you’ll remember better, then you can use another device to log in. I don’t use a computer at all, just my iphone or iPad. That way you can stay in touch with us more often.

So am I supposed to stay only on this thread when talking about myself, or start a new topic if I want more input from other members?

Stay on this thread and just ask your question. We can change your title for you, if you want, to reflect your new question. Just post here and tell us what new title you would like. :flwrysmile:

I still can't log in on any other devices. Not sure why.

My pain is lessening somewhat and I'm able to take less hydrocodone. The incision and the skin above and below it look just awful - red and blistered, and very itchy. I'm taking Benedryl every 4 hours just so I won't scratch it. I wonder if anyone else here has experienced this.

The PA I spoke to last week prescribed Keflex for a week. He saw me today and took pictures and x-rays. Says the knee joint looks great in the x-rays. He wants me to be seen again on Friday and see if I need the Keflex for a longer time. He doesn't feel this is an infection, just some kind of dermatitis, possibly a reaction from the surgical cleansing stuff they used.

I've discontinued using the ice machine because the incision isn't totally dry. With an ice pack, I can wrap it in a clean dish towel.

Last edited:
Thank you, Merlin! Today marks 2 weeks out for me and I was hoping for less pain. I tried to get by with just Tylenol but just broke down and took one hydrocodone. The nausea side effect is gone now. Maybe the body just has to get used to it.

I’m definitely lacking in the patience department!
I stopped using the ice wrap machine because of the blisters. Using an ice pack wrapped in a clean dish towel and have to time it rather than use continuously. I also spend some time every afternoon on my bed with 2 pillows under my swollen leg.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Hi Newmect!
I too had a terrible time with TKR knee #1 in 2016, and it turns out I am allergic to Oxycodone. This time I took Tramadol and Tylenol only, initially every 3 hours alternating (so each drug once every 6 hours). I did so much better! I was able to eliminate the Tramadol on day 12, so now just on Tylenol every 6 hours. The Hydrocodone didn’t work at all for me, much like Oxycodone; oddly, they did not touch the pain.

I’m so glad to hear your meds were changed and that your son can be with you! Bless him that he is able to be there!

What a tough year for you! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband! I helped my husband battle AML two years ago and he was fortunate to have a rare kind that is curable...with the toughest chemo! He lost most of his eyesight and his balance, but his feisty attitude, blind luck, and strength allowed him to beat it. He has a goofy sense of humor, too, which his doc said made a big difference, and was fortunate to still be with us.

I’m so glad your threads were merged and I can now follow your progress each day to encourage you!

I also had left butt pain, but it’s funny: it’s way better already! So maybe our “pains in the butt” were really about our knees!?!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dkhip1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom