TKR LTKR May 3

Thanks, BBCG! I can use all the encouragement I can get!

I don't really know what's going on with my meds. I thought hydrocodone helped with my hip replacement - it was great. Now it doesn't seem to do much. At least I must have gotten used to it, because I no longer have the nausea with it or the oxycodone. But I'm not sure Tylenol alone will do enough. I have enough hydrocodone for a few more days, and maybe, like you, Tylenol will be enough.

I'm so glad your husband survived his AML.
 
With my first TKR in 2016, I was on Oxycodone, pretty much alone. I could not get anyone to help devise an alternate drug because of a rigid gatekeeper there at my doctor’s surgery center until after 3 weeks of no improvement, no sleep, NO pain relief, major depression and horrible fogginess. It was horrible! I finally was put on Tramadol and meloxicam then transitioned to Tramadol and Tylenol. The bad drug reaction slowed my progress terribly, so the level of comfort, ROM and extension I have now, at 18 days is about the level I reached in 3 months then!

After I finally healed, I did a lot of research into side effects of the Oxycodone, talked to pharmacists and doctors, and concluded I was reacting badly to the drugs.

So I went back to the same surgeon (he was excellent!) and explained I did not want Oxy or Hydrocodone and he said they rarely use it now, that many patients have trouble with it, in many ways. Oh, and he was pretty sure that gatekeeper was gone!

I needed something and I knew I had done okay with Tramadol so I requested that this time. I more easily transitioned off of it this time, not taking any after day 12.

BUT! I am valiantly icing, elevating, not over exercising, not overdoing, not pushing myself, basically getting away with being a lazy-butt! But, for a GOOD reason!

By nature, I am always busy, doing, gardening (my yard is a mess this year!
1621317666176.png
But I learned to limit what to let PTs do, I don’t let them push my leg at all, I tell them I will work as hard as I can, but if I can not meet their numbers, it’s because the knee is not ready, that eventually it will be fine, just not on their timeline!
 
Last edited:
So am I supposed to stay only on this thread when talking about myself, or start a new topic if I want more input from other members?
You stay on this thread, because this is your recovery thread.

This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this one thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle
 
So tomorrow starts my fifth week of recovery. The knee pain has lessened some, FINALLY!! I still have a deep achy feeling behind my knee that interferes with getting to sleep, and restless leg syndrome in the operated leg only. Haven’t been bothered with that in quite some time but the surgery has made it reappear. I’ve tried using methocarbamol for that with no success. I got a tiny refill of oxycodone and it will be gone this week - seems it’s the only thing that helps me sleep. I’ve never used melatonin so maybe I should, but it’s pain that’s keeping me awake. My doc said it’s because I’m doing too much during the day, so I’m cutting back my walking and standing. And using a cane more. The rash I had is all cleared up - the doc says he will send me to an allergist if I need surgery again. He thinks it was probably allergy to the glue.

My older son moved out and younger son and his Malaysian wife arrived last week. They are completely content staying here and spoiling me. I hadn’t seen them since October 2019 so it’s been awesome having them here. They went through my husbands hospice period virtually which was the next best thing to being here. They both got vaccines the next day after arriving.

I drove last week to drop off my PT order at the therapy office and pick up my script. Will start twice a week PT with a therapist I’ve used before for elbow tendinitis and my hip replacement - she’s wonderful!!

This forum has been soooo helpful! Thank you all for sharing and coming together here.
 
I have restless legs syndrome and take ropinirole daily. You might ask your doctor for a low dose to get you through this period. I found it worsened after my surgery and now cut the tablet in half and take it every 12 hours to k it in my system because I was having terrible muscle spasm.
 
I have restless legs syndrome and take ropinirole daily. You might ask your doctor for a low dose to get you through this period. I found it worsened after my surgery and now cut the tablet in half and take it every 12 hours to k it in my system because I was having terrible muscle spasm.

I asked my doctor’s PA about this drug but she said they recommend methocarbamol, taking 2 pills before bed. So I’m trying that since it was on hand since my surgery. The label said it was for muscle spasms, which I‘ve not had. I’m not sure if it’s helping yet. Some nights I go to sleep fine but then wake up with jumpy legs again - well, only the operated leg. Just hoping it’ll go away as I get further along with healing. I really look forward to being able to sleep on that side, too!
 
I’m also wondering if others have had hip pain on their non-operated side, similar to hamstring tendonitis? This makes sitting painful for me, as well as bending over. Sitting on an ice pack helps. My physical therapist says that is fairly common after TKR, as the opposite leg is doing a lot more work compensating for the new knee. I haven’t read about it here. I will work harder on the glute squeezes and I also find it helps to sit on a memory foam cushion. Any other ideas out there? I need some tips and also to know it will go away!!
 
Newmect: Last September, my husband and I began downsizing our "starter" home (lived there 39 years). We sold it in late December, moved to another state, and then I had a LTKR on April 19th. All during COVID! I thought all of that was a lot but you have gone through even more. My heart goes out to you on the loss of your husband. I am glad that you've got your son with you. Hang in there! It does get better.
 
Newmect, I’m 6 weeks out and just started having thigh pain in my non operated leg. Been alternating ice and heat. I noticed it last 4 days and the only thing different is I’ve just started trying to sleep on my side. I felt it pulling a little this morning so think that’s what’s causing mine. I was having back issues last week. I think that the change in sleeping position (unless your a back sleeper) can really effect other muscles. Plus now I’ve been sleeping on my back for 6 weeks and trying to transition back to my sides. I think my muscles are confused, lol. I remember having these issues with my last TKR 8 years ago. Not that this is why your having issues but another possibility.
 
Thank you so much, MonarchMama. Yes it is a lot - taking over managing all the things around the house that my husband did and being hindered by the recovery process! Ugh. I keep telling myself it will get better. Thank you for your post.
 
@newmect I cannot take muscle relaxers because of the antidepressant I take. I will be interested to hear if it helps you with the restless legs. If you didn’t have RLS prior to your surgery, I hope it will go away as you recover.
 
I think, from my own experience and from reading others’ stories here, we can expect different pains in different places for quite a while after this major surgery. We are sitting different, sleeping different, walking different from what we did for years before our surgery, always trying to compensate for the pain. Now the knee, the leg are in different alignment and everything seems thrown off! You are still very early in your recovery. Things will improve.
You might want to consider joining the One Step program which analyzes and helps with your gait which could be a factor in helping your hip discomfort.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom