Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR May 25, 2021 Done!

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time and experiencing pain. I think you’re doing the right thing babying your new knee over the weekend and checking back with your doctor for an x-ray on Monday. I hope things get better for you. :praying:
 
Day 12 and every day is another pain. I am dealing with sciatic on my surgical side and now the right side of my lower back is painful too. Yesterday I moved around a little more after my issue on Friday and had to fend for myself for a few hours. I even did some stretches and thigh tightening but I cannot bring my self to do the heel slides as my swelling is not going down even with icing all day. I slept slightly better with the Norco and a muscle relaxer but I still feel like something is off in my outer portion of my knee where before surgery my knee would lock up for a moment and then I’d feel a bone move and it would stop hurting. I am dreading pt tomorrow as I feel somewhat defeated since I still have to use the walker. I was doing so much better before all of these mishaps. Needless to say I know I need to be moving more but all of these pains inhibit it.
I am trying not to bother my other half because sometimes it seems like he acts like it’s such a chore to help me do something. I guess I am just reaching out to see if anyone else is experiencing any of these issues.
 
Still very early days for you @Gramalita98 ! Are you icing throughout the day?

I would give PT a miss. You need to focus on getting comfortable. No need for activity. Rest, ice, elevate and medication. Plenty of time for PT when you are healed.
 
Yes Jaycey I ice with the ice machine all day long and use a gel pack at night until it’s not cold anymore I am taking my meds faithfully also and trying the best to elevate in the correct way which is always a challenge. Thank you for replying it really helps to have such a supportive group here.
 
She massaged me and proceeded to push my leg back while I was sitting on the end of the table and measured my rom to 88 which was 10 more than on Wednesday
Please don't let your PT push your leg back to measure flexion. It's not good for your knee and it's not necessary. Besides which, any measurement she gets by doing that doesn't count. The only numbers that count are those you gain by using your own muscles.

It's still very early days in this year-long recovery and there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
.
I am dreading pt tomorrow as I feel somewhat defeated since I still have to use the walker. I was doing so much better before all of these mishaps. Needless to say I know I need to be moving more but all of these pains inhibit it.
First of all, it doesn't matter if you're still using the walker. If you need it, use it. It's only a tool and there are no prizes for giving it up early. Some people use a walker for months, until they can walk with a proper gait.

Those pains are a message from your knee, saying, "Ease off, I need to heal before you stress me with lots of exercise." Listen to your knee.
It's not even two weeks since you had major surgery. At this stage, just walking around your house every hour or so is all the moving your knee needs. Walking is exercise.

You are in charge at your PT sessions. It's your knee and you have the right to say what happens to it. You have the right to say NO to treatments that cause pain. If it hurts, at the time or later, don't do it.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Yes Celle I know you are right and my usual therapist listens to me even my Dr said not to let them push my knee down.

The therapist that I had Friday was bending my knee back while I was crying and then when she pushed it down was like “you’re really not going to like me now.”

I don’t know why I feel so intimidated when I am there. I guess I just feel judged or lazy if I don’t complete the exercises.

My surgeon is a big proponent of starting pt right away and that it’s the only way to get back to normal.

I try to bring up the Bonesmart way even to my fiancé’s daughter (who is an OT and works in nursing homes) and she said if you don’t do them you’ll have to get a MUA and you don’t want that.

I also re scheduled a trip to Colorado from June 26th to August 10th as my daughter and grandkids and son in law and her friend and kids were going and didn’t want to go if we weren’t going. They had to change all of their reservations and I guess I am worried that I won’t be in shape to go and I don’t want them to lose $.

As it is I have to have my surgeon fill out some paperwork so they can prove the reason they had to change their reservation to the travel insurance company. So that’s always in the back of my mind too which is probably why I let them push me.

I am hoping that I’ll be ok at 10 weeks out. We are going to drive instead of flying as the the rental car would be outrageous. I figured I can lay in back seat and ice and prop my leg up and take rest stops. I’m sorry for rambling and I understand that ROM doesn’t count if they force it.

Thank you for your response I will have a talk with my therapist tomorrow.
 
That’s pretty rough advice from your fiancé’s daughter! You are SO early in this recovery process. There are enough BoneSmart members who can attest to the opposite. The new mantra is “Pain brings no gain”! Be strong and hold your ground. And yes, at 10 weeks you will still be having some discomfort, but you will be better then than you are now. Good plan to lay in the back with your ice and elevation.
 
Sister Pat I think they all go “by the book” and seem pretty closed minded when you suggest other ways of doing things. I told the therapist I had on Friday that I wish there was a simulator that would let surgeons snd therapists feel what having a knee replacement feels like. Perhaps they would have a a better understanding of the pain. Thank you for your great advice maybe I will postpone my therapy for a week or two until my knee has time to heal more. Again I am thankful for this for I’m snd the great group of people here. I do feel better just hearing the advice so now I have to practice what you preach.
 
I have had sciatica but I don't remember if it was during recovery of TKR. definitely speak to your surgeon tomorrow and also your p.t. to see if there are some exercises you can do. My dr. prescribed me Gabapentin and that worked for me along with certain exercises. Feel better soon.
Hi, I sometimes get sciatica and use pressure point therapy on my self.If you google it, you can find it,.I have found it to be very effective.It usually takes a couple of days, then disappears.
 
Yes Celle I know you are right and my usual therapist listens to me even my Dr said not to let them push my knee down.
The therapist that I had Friday was bending my knee back while I was crying and then when she pushed it down was like “you’re really not going to like me now.”
If your therapist keeps on doing something when you have asked her not to, she is committing n assault on you. She has no right to do it.
If it should happen again, get off the table and walk out. Take your knee to a place of safety.

I don’t know why I feel so intimidated when I am there. I guess I just feel judged or lazy if I don’t complete the exercises.
It's because you see the PT as an authority figure. Actually, she's not. She works for you. You are paying her, either directly or indirectly, through your insurance. You are the boss and you are in charge of what happens to your knee.

Try not to feel that you have to justify what you do to anyone. It's your knee, your recovery, and your choice.

My surgeon is a big proponent of starting pt right away and that it’s the only way to get back to normal.
Your surgeon believes that because that's what he was taught. There are other ways and other surgeons who think differently.

My surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house. The walking is our exercise and we increase it a little each week.

After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home each day.

His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation (MUA) to help with ROM for the past 5 years. I think that speaks for itself.

I try to bring up the Bonesmart way even to my fiancé’s daughter (who is an OT and works in nursing homes) and she said if you don’t do them you’ll have to get a MUA and you don’t want that.
Here's a suggestion: Try not to discuss your knee with anyone. If they ask, just say something like "It's doing all right." If they ask if you're doing your exercises, say "Of course." After all, walking is exercise and you're walking, aren't you?

An OT is not trained in post-op care of a TKR. She's just picked up the general idea from the nursing homes (who often get it wrong anyway).

I also re scheduled a trip to Colorado from June 26th to August 10th as my daughter and grandkids and son in law and her friend and kids were going and didn’t want to go if we weren’t going. They had to change all of their reservations and I guess I am worried that I won’t be in shape to go and I don’t want them to lose $.
Well, they've all placed a guilt trip on you! They made their choices.

The most important thing is your knee and your recovery - not trying to please your family. If you feel your knee isn't ready for that August holiday, then don't go.
If you do go, make sure you schedule regular times to rest every day. This is the time to be selfish and insist that you need to take care of your knee. This summer you need to be less active than usual, but next summer you should be well up to speed again.
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

I think they all go “by the book” and seem pretty closed minded when you suggest other ways of doing things.
Don't bother suggesting other ways, it's a waste of time. You won't change their minds.
Just say something like "This is my knee and I am doing it this way." Then change the subject.
People who haven't had a knee replacement just don't understand.
 
Gramilita 98
Sorry for your discomfort driving home. I had my knee done on May 17. The nerve pain does get better and beware the meds can cause acid reflex. I had problems with that. Just make sure you eat before you take your pain meds and If you take acid reflex medication , make sure you take it an hour before your meds. Take it easy and you will fine.
 
@Gramalita98

I am one month into my 2nd TKR and I have made the decision to forego formal PT this time around. Every time I went to PT I would be in pain for several days after. I would regain some mobility and then backslide after another round of PT.

It is a leap of faith for me since all of my sports injury recoveries have been at the mercy of aggressive PT. Prior to finding Bonesmart I just didn’t know it was ok to say “no” and proceed at my comfort level.

I can only speak about my experience but the guidelines I’ve followed and the positive support I’ve received have resulted in a successful outcome for Knee #1 and good progress with Knee #2.

Take care.
 
@Gramalita98, Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances (miles!), scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.
 
@FCBayern thank you for another testimony for no formal PT it’s really giving me the courage to stop PT. I am going to go in today and let my therapist know that I am going to stop for now and see how I feel with no PT. They will most likely charge me today anyway since it’s not 24 hour notice. Did you do anything besides walking around the house? I had in home therapy the day after I got out of the hospital for 5 days. I honestly was so much better the first few days after getting home that I really thought this knee was going to be easier until I got out of the tub/shower the wrong way and felt some severe pain that is when I started going downhill. I tried to tell my OS when I went to get my bandage changed and he just blew it off as sciatic. I was already having sciatic pain and I definitely know the difference between that pain and the pain I was having every time I took a step it was the same feeling that I had pre surgery like something wanted to crack. I was hoping he would X-ray it but nope. Fast forward a few days later and during the night I moved the wrong way and felt another severe pain in my knee. I really would at least want to get an X-ray to rule out any damage that I did. Of course the therapists and my surgeons nurse reassured me that it would take a hard blow to knock anything out of whack but something is definitely different after these two episodes.
I also have osteopenia and I’m not sure if that factors in at all. Anyway I will report back after my visit and also see about getting an X-ray. Thanks again for your advice!
 
I had many scares early on by doing something that caused severe sudden pain as well @Gramalita98, thankfully BoneSmart was there for me. There are so many tissues that were severely traumatized that sometimes the smallest movement can cause pain that makes you wonder what you could have done to it. Unfortunately all part and parcel of this recovery. Pretty sure if you actually damaged the joint you would be in constant unrelenting pain. Hang in there, it really does get better. At your stage of recovery I was sure that bright light was a train coming, not the light at the end of the tunnel!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom