Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR May 25, 2021 Done!

Day 6 and the dreaded no sleep came back with a vengeance. Has anyone experienced sciatic pain on operated side? This pain is almost worse than the knee pain because it’s in my left butt cheek and goes down my whole leg to my ankle and seems to come in waves like what I can only describe as throbbing labor pains in your butt and leg. When it starts it lasts for anywhere from 5-10 minutes and brings me to tears. I don’t have to be walking in fact it’s starting as I speak about it as I sit. I will mention it tomorrow as I have my 1 week appt with the surgeon.
Any feedback greatly appreciated!
 
@Gramalita98 I am so sorry you are having sciatic pain on top of trying to recover from replacement surgery. I really have no advice, but just wanted you to know I hope the problem is solved.
 
Are your pain meds strong enough, I wonder? That and ice should help with the sciatica.
Take care!
 
I have had sciatica but I don't remember if it was during recovery of TKR. definitely speak to your surgeon tomorrow and also your p.t. to see if there are some exercises you can do. My dr. prescribed me Gabapentin and that worked for me along with certain exercises. Feel better soon.
 
Thank you @liam2015 I plan on it I had my last home pt today and she said try leaning against the counter with my back if it helps it’s coming from the spine I tried that a few minutes ago while having an episode and it seemed to help but as often as it’s occurring I’d be doing it most of the day. I plan on speaking to the surgeon and will also speak to my outpatient therapist on Wednesday at my eval.
 
Hello everyone I got out the shower the wrong way and extended my left leg outward and felt something painful on my outer thigh when putting my leg down to the point of crying. I go to surgeon today for bandage change hoping he can take an X-ray to make sure I didn’t screw anything up
Also I believe he useD cement this time because of osteopenia which I had at the time of my RTKR but I don’t think he actually looked at the dexa scan he ordered before the right knee was done as he acted surprised-after I mentioned it after a post op visit. Any thoughts on thos?
 
I doubt you did any harm to your new knee other than aggravating it.
If your OS took x-rays of your R knee and there is no problem or loosening, then I think you will be fine. You can mention that to him today for his opinion.
 
Thank you sister Pat I have a feeling he won’t be there as he usually does surgery on Tuesday’s but I hope you’re right! You made me feel more hopeful! I’ll update after.
 
Well my days are all screwed up got all ready and went my appt and it’s actually tomorrow which I should have known since he operates on Tuesday’s stay tuned. …
 
I’m so sorry you went to that appointment for nothing. :console2:Consider that effort your PT for the day!
 
Update Day 8
Went to surgeon to get my bandage changed and told him about my stepping out of the tub with the wrong leg and the pain I’m getting from it (in fact my knee got stuck walking into the hallway of his office) but he did not think I need an X-ray and thinks it’s sciatic but I can’t say that I believe that) I start outpatient therapy today so hopefully it won’t be too hard on me. He said the wound looks good so at least that’s one worry I can get rid of.
I will see how things go and if this keeps up I will insist on an X-ray.
 
I just wish he would have done an X-ray for my peace of mind!
 
It does take awhile to recover from those mis-steps, sometimes a setback of a couple weeks with the pain. 4 weeks after I had ORIF surgery for a broken elbow, I fell on the incision and it became very painful. When we got home, I went for an x-ray and everything was fine, other than the pain, and I recovered from that.
Recently I broke my femur, right above my knee replacement and I was very worried I had damaged my knee. Once again, the knee replacement was fine and solid, but oh the pain from a broken femur and then surgery. 5 months later and I'm still having some pain in my thigh.
Having said that, I hope your knee replacement is still solid and the pain doesn't last too long. Maybe they will do an x-ray at your next surgeon follow-up to give you peace of mind.
 
Oh wow that sounds terrible! Wishing you healing and getting to pain free! I I got my bandage changed and he said everything looks good he thinks it sciatic and didn’t do an X-ray. I also went for my outpatient therapy and she said in all the years she’s been a therapist never had anyone do any damage to the knee. She also said I probably stretched something and that things are lined up differently now so it will be an adjustment. She massaged around the knee and had me do some stretches and gait walking and some other things and my ROM is 76/-4 she was happy with that. Said put heating pad on my butt/back and of course ice the knee. Came home took norco, ate and icing and heat as we speak. I’m feeling pretty good right now. Take care and we can share our progress with each other.
 
Well it seems I’m going backwards as I keep on hurting myself. I moved the wrong way during the night and had severe pain. Now I can barely put any weight on leg it feels like it did before the surgery like it wants to crack which is restricting everything I do. I was making good progress and started using my cane and maneuvering around the kitchen and doing some things on my own. I had outpatient therapy this morning and she could see that my knee was bent. She massaged me and proceeded to push my leg back while I was sitting on the end of the table and measured my rom to 88 which was 10 more than on Wednesday also had to do stretches and do a step up and down and some other stuff. I know what the Bonesmart way is but I felt like I would never make any progress by not doing the exercises. I have done more crying the last few days than I care to admit. I have basically been in my recliner icing elevating taking meds and napping. I dread getting up for anything because it’s so hard to walk. I spoke to the nurse and she said to baby it this weekend and if it gets worse to go to an urgent care or ER to possibly get an X-ray. I won’t do that I’d rather get one at the Ortho office on Monday if this persists. So I’m dealing with knee replacement, sciatica and pulled muscle or something all on my operated leg. Any advice from the moderators would be greatly appreciated.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom