TKR LTKR April 1 - bending knee hurts

My new goal is to become the President of the Overdid It Club (ODIC) and I think it would have many members!

Hahaha!

The mission of the ODIC would be to coax our members off the ledge of doing too much; to reinforcing the notion that a “rest” day is an OK day; and we just need to be patient.

As simple as it sounds I could actually benefit from having ODIC Bonesmarties cheering me on when I do less! :yahoo:
 
You have tough competition for President of the ODIC! I saw my PT today and he didn't think the stationary biking hurt me but he did suggest I not reinstall another faucet and drain pipes on a bathroom sink that involves crawling into a base cabinet again until my knee is farther along. Haha. Oops.

That is good news for me as I like to bike a whole lot more than I like plumbing repairs.
 
You can add my hubby into that ODIC competition; back to riding bike outside (only 20 minutes), walking the dog and now with the nice weather and golf courses allowed to open, he went back today to hit balls. I said he should take a day off in between and he said "have to get out there while the weather is good". (It was back in December he was taken to e.r. by ambulance with his knee injury relapse ~ MRI June 16).

SkiBikeHikeDude ~ I'm glad you were able to get up off the floor after your plumbing repairs. :sos: You're doing incredibly well for just 8 weeks post op.:SUNsmile:
 
Had my best PT session yet - motion was improved, swelling was down. My PT was really pleased. He even suggested I walk around the block tomorrow to see how it goes!

i'm looking for suggestions on what stupid thing I should try today or tomorrow to make sure I keep my membership in the ODIC? Haha. Just kidding.

It is nice to finally see improvement.
 
I have been doing really well with my left knee. Tonight I have some swelling below my knee shuck is kind of frustrating. Not sure if I have been overdoing it or not. It’s kind of painful. I am glad your knee is better!! I still have restless legs at night and I have some nights where sleep is impossible. But I’m hoping that too shall pass!!
 
Emelbee, don’t get discouraged! My first TKR was 1 day before yours and there are still days and nights when I experience pain/discomfort. I still cannot sleep at night, not sure which TKR is responsible at this point, probably both. Since you are having your 2nd knee done later this month, you will have an extended challenge. But then they will both be done and over with! Hang in there. This will eventually get better and you’ll be on here cheering on the newbies who are struggling with their recoveries.
 
ODIC...played 9 holes of golf on Tuesday, was a little sore yesterday, but today I am having some swelling. I had another 9 holes planned for today, which I canceled, but I am going shopping tomorrow with my daughter...first time since Covid! It will be fun, and I won't be overdoing it!
Learning the hard way!
 
This recovery is such a bizarre journey. I didn't do a lot yesterday, although we added a few gentle exercises at PT (all focused on gentle stretches, not strengthening). Then last evening my knee started to ache, and it woke me up once in the night (not to rub it on on those you struggling to sleep but I usually sleep well). Then this morning it is achy, yet walking around the house I can tell my ROM is probably the best it's been and I don't think it is more swollen. It is just bizarre to me how this recovery goes. Why better ROM and less swelling but more pain? I'm sure I'll never know. And when I say pain, it isn't bad. It is worse than the ever constant low-level nagging pain/annoying feeling in my knee, but not bad enough to take any pain meds.

Emelbee, I'm happy to hear your knee has been doing really well mostly. I'm hoping you get the sleep under control so you are fully rested for the next one.
 
Feeling the same as you, SBHDude. I’m about 3 weeks ahead of you. Less swelling, ROM doing well, so why the aching and discomfort. Some days I do a lot, including some minor strength training, and I’m fine both that evening and the next day. Then after a reasonably quiet day, sore as hell. Never know what’s coming!
 
I had a big weekend - 3 1/2 hours in a car Saturday and then again Sunday, and lots of crawling around putting furniture together. I didn't have an ice machine with me and barely iced and didn't get to elevate --- but my knee did great. I slept great, and this morning I did a short bike ride outside (2 miles, slooooowww but it didn't hurt at all). At PT today my ROM had improved to 120/0, even after doing way more than normal over the weekend and not taking care of my knee! Woohoo!!!! I feel like my knee has gone from extremely fragile (lots of tissue trauma) to really starting to heal.

I'm very aware it is still early and I shouldn't push, but I finally feel like I'm out of the acute stage and in the improving every week stage. I'm even going to dinner at a friends house this week (previously I couldn't sit with my foot down long enough for that), so things are looking good!
 
That’s great, SBHDude! It’s such a good feeling when things start to finally move on. That first evening out will be a real occasion, back to a social life! Have a good time.
 
Ps you mentioned crawling around, are you kneeling? If so, how did it feel? I’ve tried a few times, but got up mighty quickly!
 
Ps you mentioned crawling around, are you kneeling? If so, how did it feel? I’ve tried a few times, but got up mighty quickly!
Ghostpipe, crawling around was probably not the right way to describe what I was doing as I was not kneeling. I have not tried kneeling yet as it does not seem like it would feel ok.

I love to paddle board and want to try paddle boarding again soon, but it often requires a bit of kneeling to get away from shore into deeper water before standing up and I don't feel ready for that yet. When you tried kneeling, did it hurt? I certainly hope it is something we can do again, but I think it would really hurt if I tried now.
 
I tried at about 6 weeks, just because I needed some shoes that were under a cupboard. It did hurt, but seemed to be just a burning in the scar. Twice since, once not too bad, and a few days ago it was downright sore. It seems as though the less swelling I have to cushion them, the more it hurts. Have now gone all squeamish about it, so won’t try again for a while. Another challenge to conquer!
 
Hi SkibikeHikeDu i love your recovery thread Its like a mirror image of mine i had a right medial PKR on April 19 and my recovery has been quite a shock to me. The minute a feel good i do way to much and then wham my knee rebels. I have gone back to work part time half days and boy is it tough, i keep expecting my knee to be suddenly good again and it is frustrating. This forum is the best. One concession i have made at work i have bought a second hand table top freezer and filled it with ice packs, every hour or so i prop my leg up on my desk and apply my ice packs, its like my knee has gone to heaven:heehee:. My surgeon has encouraged me to return to work but you definitely have to listen to your knee.
 
Am so glad to hear things are looking up SkiBikeHikeDude! I'm now at the 6 week mark and driving is now easy, have definitely not kneeled yet, but with my "old" new knee, I was kneeling by about the 3 month mark I think... gently, on lots of padding! I'm anxious to get back to doing a self-care modality called Melt, which requires being on the floor using a soft-ish 4" diam. roller to move around on to release tension and achiness... so kneeling is something I'd like to be able to do again soon!

I have a long car drive coming up in a couple of weeks for a family trip to the Oregon coast. The drive is about 2 hours but I'll want to stop to ice and elevate at a picnic table or something on the way, so looking for best route to allow that and make timing the least it can be. But, I'm not too worried because I've had to run errands and get in and out of the car over a 3 hour period this past week, so I think I'll be okay.
 
Of course now I'm back in the ODIC, as my knee aches and is a bit more swollen after a bit more activity the past two days. The good news is my ROM has not been affected.

What is sad is that I didn't do a lot, at least by my standards, but it was still quite a bit more than I have been doing. Not all that many years ago I wouldn't bother to ride my bike if I didn't have time to do at least 20 miles. Now if I ride 2 miles as slowly as I can I'm ok, but if I try to go 4 miles I upset my knee.

I am still pleased with my ROM as being able to bend more really helps with function such as sitting in chairs or getting in and out of the car. I learned today at PT that some of my knee pain is from a tight IT band. Hopefully I can get that loosened up a bit to relieve some knee pain.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom