Guest viewing is limited

LTHR while recovering from RTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best wishes and good luck for you. Waiting to hear the good news
 
chisels1 I hope everything went well for you with your second hip replacement. Hope to be reading your recovery story soon.
 
I can tell you this though, no two hips are the same and the left is not happy. PT is so so important, they got me up twice today and its already more flexible, it really hurts, I'm hitting the pain meds more then the last time.
 
chisels1 I hope you soon get the pain under control. I don't remember having a lot of pain with either of my surgeries. Right after I got to my room with my second one I had pain but they worked to control it and once that was done I was good. Don't overdo it. You need rest to heal.
 
Sandybeach, the pain has subsided with me getting up and doing my PT also I'm in a chair which is better then the bed. Another session at 2 then some rest until tomorrow.
 
chisels1 that's good that the pain is gone. For me, once they had it under control it stayed there so I hope the same for you. How long are you in the hospital? What do they have you doing for PT?
 
Right now, I do ankle pumps, Knee presses, and butt crunches. It really did the trick but its twice a day under supervision, oh and I walk back to room with a walker and a special chair behind me just in case.
 
chisels1 definitely glad to see you out of surgery! I'm sorry about the pain-- perhaps by now your team has got this under control? I discovered while in the hospital that they gave me tylenol every 4 hours but I had to ask for the percocet! Once I understood that, things went better...
I hope you had as peaceful a night as can be expected, and will get some quiet rest today also. Maybe home tomorrow? :)
 
Long day, today at the Radiation/Cancer I was there for 5 hours, for a 20 minute procedure. My pain is very minimal and swelling is down. PT is helping and will be leaving for rehab tomorrow afternoon. I rested well last night with extra pain meds 4mg dilaudid instead of 2 plus my pain button. Actually slept at the Cancer building for 2 hours.
 
Left Hospital today for rehab. Last time was in for 6 days and so far it seems logical, Leg swollen sore but walking fairly well. Baystate Orthopedics heads for a brand new wing, each patient for joint replacement gets a private room 47" flat screen tv new state of the art electronic connections for each room private large bathrooms, with enough room for large beds and bariatric chairs. The whole works, including a radiation area, which I know first hand needs to be at the Hospital.
 
chisels1 great place, this rehab! I hope it's quieter so you can get some sleep! Glad to hear the pain is minimal, and hope you have a restful and productive (and well fed!) stay there!
 
Its really nice and quiet and the staff here are all trained in compassion and customer service, I swear they hire these people on their personalities, because no one leaves a patient's room without asking if everything is O.K. and whether you need something. I remember all the Nurses, TA?LPN's by name and could determine who went the extra mile and who didn't. In fact you could reward good and/or beyond good service by asking from them a patient card. On the card you could rate why you thought they were so deserving. Those healthcare givers would get a $50.00 gift card. Your health is directly linked to your well being.
 
My leg is swollen but looks like the ice, elevation and the compression boots are doing the trick. How much weight on average does one gain? They weighed me in at 243 that was last Thursday, its now Sunday and I weighed 232. I didn't weigh myself before going to the Hospital but I was 226 a few weeks ago. Has anyone else gained fluid weight and remember what they weighed? Sandybeach, how have you been recovering?
 
chisels1 good about the ice/elevation/compression helping with the swelling.
I'm almost 5 weeks out, and only gained about a pound in the first 2 1/2 weeks. However, my clothes and mirror tell e that I'd better not step on the scale again just yet. Time to cut back on the buffet-style living... Seems I read someplace, not here, that the average weight gain over the recovery period was 14 pounds. I did NOT want to read that. Time to cut back on the buffet....
 
Holy Cow!!! 14 lbs in weight gain? I assume most of that is due to not being as active and yet eating - not necessarily fluid retention. Sounds like your rehab facility is great chisels1! I am opting for home after surgery on Wednesday since the only rehab option is a nursing home. . . .

BTW, I have a celtic design tatoo on my inner forearm. Looks like the top of a celtic cross. My son and I got similar ones at the same time . . . kind of a bonding experience :friends: and a tribute to my heritage. I love it. I agree with the others though that I would ask your OS before having one done now and if you do, I think I would be taking antibiotics. I used a very reputable shop and had no problems.
 
chisels1 good about the ice/elevation/compression helping with the swelling.
I'm almost 5 weeks out, and only gained about a pound in the first 2 1/2 weeks. However, my clothes and mirror tell e that I'd better not step on the scale again just yet. Time to cut back on the buffet-style living... Seems I read someplace, not here, that the average weight gain over the recovery period was 14 pounds. I did NOT want to read that. Time to cut back on the buffet....


You'll do fine, just walk as much as possible. Its my plan, I love walking but was sidelined about a year ago and gain weight. In November of 2012 when I saw the surgeon he said loose weight or healing would be a problem and so would the surgery. I had lost 47 pounds for the first surgery.I added 5 pounds between that time and the June 17th left hip surgery which I was very pleased with.
 
Sounds like hip #2 recovery is progressing really well Chisels.. How long will you be in your five star hotel... Hmmm! Meant to say Rehab :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom