LTHR while recovering from RTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should not take 3 at a time. Maximum for each single dose is 1,000mg. If you want extra analgesic cover, either take one of your prescription meds or a couple of ibuprofen. But never take three ES Tylenol at the same time.
I'm not allowed to take any ibuprofen prior to surgery and this is within the window of time before my next Hip replacement. I've been taking ES Tylenol 2 to 3 at a time every time I feel the need and never had any adverse reaction or problems and I see Doctors on a regular basis. The pain meds I have are Dilaudid and its a narcotic and I hate taking any narcs unless I absolutely have to. My pain levels pre-op were far more sever then post-op.
 
chisels1 what are your exercises to stretch the flexor muscles? I didn't know where those are, I looked it up and that's where my problem is. The exercise my PT gave me is lay on the bed, bring one leg up my chest, bent at the knee and hold it in place with hands or use a towel and let the other leg hang down to the floor to feel the stretch in the joint. When I first did this with the PT the leg that hung to the floor was bent to the side instead of straight down. She worked the muscles and soon it came straight down.
Peaches I had compression socks that had a pump connected with long lines, it was easier in the first days home for me to use a walker. By about day 7 I went on to use a cane. My surgeries were 6 weeks apart and my first hip was strong enough to handle me using just a cane. I didn't have weight bearing restrictions so that wasn't an issue.

Sandybeach, For the flexor muscle, #1 stand at a kitchen counter, or any furnature of a height where you can support yourself while standing. Face the counter, take your right leg and kick out to the side as far as it can go without to much pain, breath in then out with the kick, start with a few with each leg, increase as you can, I do a max of 30 no more. #2 Same position, kick your leg straight back, do this until you feel that muscle work, do a few reps add as you can. #3 stand perpendicular to counter hold on to counter just to stabilize yourself. Bring your knee/leg bent up as far as you can then down, then up. a few reps at a time. Turn and face the other way and do the other leg. Remember if its hurts you are doing to much or pushing to early, you just want a mild stretching pain. I do this twice daily among other exercises but started doing it only once and only 5 reps. Remember this is not to build muscle but to give those muscles back their original memory which has been inhibited by the bad hips. Once you can walk freely with little pain then you can scale back the execises or stop.
 
chisels1 I do the side kick ones at the counter but the other two I haven't but I think I will start. I know I need to get that flexor muscle stretched out. After going to PT on Tuesday, I could tell on Wednesday the change it made by the PT stretching those muscles. Thanks for the exercise tip :thumb: How are you doing? I know that other hip inhibits the amount of activity you have. June 17th will here before you know it.

My pain levels pre-op were far more sever then post-op.
How true that statement is.........take care.
 
chisels1 I do the side kick ones at the counter but the other two I haven't but I think I will start. I know I need to get that flexor muscle stretched out. After going to PT on Tuesday, I could tell on Wednesday the change it made by the PT stretching those muscles. Thanks for the exercise tip :thumb: How are you doing? I know that other hip inhibits the amount of activity you have. June 17th will here before you know it.


How true that statement is.........take care.

Sandybeach, I'm as good as I'm going to get without the left hip being replaced yet. The bad hip has an effect on some of the exercises for the right hip as you know. I can't wait til June 17th to get this done Thanks for asking.
 
chisels1 I'm very excited for you to have two new hips in such a short time! :) You know the drill, and since both hips will be good, you'll recover quickly!
With the pain I had I started to walk stiff legged,
Oh my I do this too, just to support through the pain. I can walk more or less normally (more less than more...) when the pain meds have their planets aligned, but with surgery so soon, so no ibuprofen, equals very little planetary alignment in the pain department LOL
 
Thanks for clarifying, Littlejem. You'd think I've been living under a rock to not know that walking sticks plural are two canes. And I used to read a lot of British novels, and have always enjoyed the terminology. I guess I think of a walking stick (U.S. usage perhaps?) as a straight stick with no handle on the top save a knob, perhaps. Like something a country gentleman (in a novel) would use instead of an orthopedic-looking cane with the rounded top.

I can see where two sticks/canes would be much more comfortable perhaps than crutches. Crutches scare me as I am a huge klutz. I think it would take me a long time to master stairs with crutches.

Speaking of which, the cane I had pre-surgery had a short-ish horizontal thing at the top, which I'd thought was fine and dandy. But the hospital's PT staff picked out the more traditional cane for me to take home, with a big, rounded, padded curve at the top. It looks very orthopedic, but I love it. It is so comfyu in the hand, and also doubles as an "implement" for me around the apartment.

All of you are an inspiration to me. Someday I will have to have the other hip done, I think; I will face it better thanks to all of you.
 
It is so funny the difference in words across the water, a cane to me is something you have in the garden to grow plants up!! I did have a go on some crutches in the hospital when they couldn't find me some canes but I only used them a couple of times and could imagine they'd be really cumbersome and awkward to get along with. Ha i love the fact that you can use your cane to help with other jobs around the house, very handy!! :)
 
Started the process for getting my LTHR done. I had an ultrasound done on both legs to check for blood clots and today with my primary for medical clearance. I have two , maybe three more appointments before I get this finally done and I can't wait to fully recover with both hips being new.
 
chisels1 You're in good company here, with so many people who've had one hip replaced then the other a short time afterward. I had both of mine done at the same time, but am still in the healing phase. I don't have any LLD, though, and my gait seems steady. Yours will straighten out, just like sandybeach and Elosarabrab. It's great that you have two surgery buddies to share your post op experience with! Can't get any better than Littlejem and sqwerlie for help and maybe some laughs along the way. :)

I think the suggestion of using a cane to take some of the load off of the unoperated hip is a really good idea. Anything to ease the stress on it.

Josephine is right about the ES Tylenol, though. Please be careful with that as it can affect the liver. Maybe 1/2 dilaudid would help? Or a different, milder pain med from the OS? Just a suggestion, as we all try to look out for one another here!

Keep posting, everyone is here to support you and help in anyway we can.
 
Hi chisels1 I have gone back to using a cane if I'm doing much walking and I find it helps as I was waddling because of my LL difference. I'm totally agree that I just want this surgery done and over with so I can get on with the rest of my 'pain free' life! :)
 
Hi chisels1,

As you can see, I had my hips done a similar time apart as you. I found that after the first, my other was so bad that while I did my basic physical therapy, I couldn't do much walking and still had so much pain from the still-bad hip. Once the second was done I was off and running, so to speak. It made a huge difference, I think you will be so thrilled once both are done! (And absolutely no problem with the first hip healing correctly)
 
Two weeks from today I'll be in round 2 of Hip or consequences. I can't wait to get in shape walking more. I have a Maine Vacation in Rockland to enjoy as my reward and maybe my first tattoo.
 
@chisels in a few weeks you will be a new man:yes!: I like the idea of reward after you get healed and on your way to your new life. You will feel so much better once you get both hips replaced.
 
chisels1 Your surgery is coming up pretty soon which is good so you can get onto your much easier recovery with two new hips. You'll be a happy man once both hips are replaced and the bone on bone pain is gone. Rockland, Maine sounds perfect! I have a high school friend in Camden. It's a beautiful part of Maine, up there. Right along the rocky coast line, with all of those tall fur trees. You'll enjoy it and you deserve it, too! You've been an inspiration to a group of us here. When sandybeach mentioned the reward you've planned for yourself, now everyone is thinking up what their reward will be! Gives us all something to look forward to!
Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.
 
Good luck @chisels... Not long now...

Tattoo... Curious minds are wanting more information :)
 
Well, first off my son Tim is in the Coast Guard in Rockland, Maine and so going up there makes some sense as it would be a vacation with a purpose. With both hips good I could enjoy walking again and getting to tour his ship, the Abbie Burgess. With respect to the tattoo, I designed a celtic brotherhood tattoo for my four boys and all but one of them sports that design on their arms. I'd like one on my arm but something different, like a design that incorporates the boys initials in a celtic/scroll pattern and maybe something to do with my profession Goldsmith/Hand Engraver.
 
chisels1... How fascinating... Sounds wonderful.. You must post a photo if/when you get it designed... Like your profession also!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom