THR LTHR Dec 7th. Looking for post op helpful ideas

Hi @smstok
Thought I'd stop by, say Hi and see how you're doing?
You're almost three weeks already! Time goes by faster in recovery than you'd imagine.
Hope all is well and you're feeling great progress.
Want to wish you a great holiday weekend and a happy healthy 2018!

@Layla. So sorry for not responding to you. Ive been busy reading all the various posts that I forgot about my own thread. I’m now in my 6th week and things are still going well for me. Progress is going GREAT! I still have numbness in my thigh area but that is slowly dissipating each week. I have to remind myself not to over do it just because I feel so good. I will return to work at the end of the week so hopefully all goes well with that since I do still get tired faster than usual for me.
Thanks for asking [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi @smstok
No worries on answering me ever, sweetie. Was just checking to see how you're doing.
I know the feeling of getting lost in BoneSmart early in recovery. It is interesting reading
of others thoughts, concerns, advice, progress etc. Especially because you don't have to engage
unless you want to.

It's great to hear your recovery is going well. Six weeks already....time sure does fly.
That numbness can last for awhile. I recall certain areas surrounding my incision being numb
for a time post op.

You're wise in talking it slow. Gradually adding more activity, saving yourself any setbacks.
Good news on returning to work. I hope you feel ready and are looking forward to your return.
Please read the link below as a little re-fresher. If you do feel a bit more fatigued upon returning to work you'll know why. A great week to you!
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/

It’s back to work I go..... [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]. Hoping this goes well. 10 hour shifts aren’t looking so advantageous right now [emoji30][emoji30]

Hi @smstok
Wow! Back to work already, time sure flies!
Wishing you a great nights sleep, an alarm that doesn't fail you, a yummy breakfast,
a good hair day, a safe trip to work, hugs, compassion and help if you're struggling,
comfort, lots of breaks and a safe return home.
If you're not too wiped out, let us know how it went.
Hugs to you and wishes for a great week!

Wishing you well as you head back to work. Hopefully you can leave a bit early the first few days if it gets to be too much. It seems a bit early to be able to do 10hr days but then again, everyone is different. Hopefully you’ll check back in on a day off and let us know how you are doing. Hang in there!

Sooooooo..... I’m nearing the end of week 2 back at work (8 wks post op) and this week is much better so far. Week one was ROUGH! Mainly due to brain fog and feeling tired.
I am a shift supervisor in a 911 center (police n fire). I’ve been a dispatcher for 23 yeArs and 15 years at this agency. The very day prior to my surgery we moved into a newly built multimillion dollar building (18,000 sq ft) after being housed in a basement/dungeon the size of a 2 car garage. Talk about busting out our seams. It was such tight quarters and actually aided in making our job much more stressful due to noise volume. Now we are on the second floor with beautiful windows all Around AND FINALLY AN ELEVATOR! YAY FOR ME! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]. I’ve been dragging myself up n down 2 flights of stairs for years [emoji53][emoji53]. Thank God for the handrails. The building transition was supposed to take place in September but didn’t happen until Dec 6 which I was originally upset about since I didn’t get to be a direct part of the crossover. However, I worked til 3 am in the old building and was at the new building on the 6th by about 11 am to see it all before my surgery. It’s like living in a shack all your life and suddenly you step up to a brand new large home. Tear worthy moment indeed. I now feel fortunate it did not take place prior to surgery since there is so much more walking involved. I’m loving all the extra walking now but my first day back was a little crazy. Everyday items are now in different places on the floor and many things have changed in just 6 short weeks. I’m still working on almost 500 emails announcing most of the changes somewhere in the haystack of emails. Such an insecure moment for me when I’m the “go to” person yet I felt like I knew nothing. I had to start asking for help and where to find things. Not to mention.....when we moved our computers were updated to windows 10. Omg! Could they test me anymore? Not that it’s a super huge change but when your working with emergencies and your computer stuff is different....NOT FUN! it’s sorta like driving an automatic car and then your given a stick shift to drive and have to figure it out as you go. I was shifting gears a little rough during week one. [emoji51][emoji51] But I made it through. Things are a little easier this week but i am still on the tired side

Glad this week was better. For me, each week was a bit better and less tiring (at least until I got sick). Brain fog/surgery brain was hard to deal with. I'd be ok in the minute but had to make lots of notes and reminders for myself because I seemed to have little short term memory.

It definitely wasn't fair for them to even change the computer program on you while you were gone (I hate Windows 10 myself and dread the day they decide to install on our system). Only 2 more days to the weekend!

@SaraK. Thanks SaraK. I can’t imagine getting this flu while recovering. I so feared getting sick and still trying to dodge it. Hopefully I’m lucky and don’t get it. Yeah....I’m not happy with windows 10 but I’m getting it figured out. Hopefully you don’t switch to it anytime soon. I too had to pull out all my notes because I couldn’t recall simple commands. It’s all coming back slowly. Unfortunately we also switched our old computer (CAD) system last year as well. So all the functions are still fairly new for me/us. People are still struggling with it and having a hard time retaining since the functions are more complex. Go figure!

So far (knock wood) I've escaped the flu. I have had strep 3 times since first THR in April - each time accompanied by an upper respiratory bug and, the first time, a double ear infection. It will just take some time to build the immunity back up I guess (especially since I do seem to have the tendency to burn the candles at both ends and the middle).

EEEEK! That sounds horrible! I’m fully guilty at burning that candle the same wAy. Knowing my bad habits I fully dedicated myself to recovery. I did NOT want to mess around and create my own bad situation. Hence the 500 emails. Typically I can retrieve those at home but I cut myself off so I could recover without the added stress.

I wish I could have done that but it wasn't possible. I did several hours of work from home during the first week and went back to the office, basically full-time, after 1 week. I would have liked another week and then ramp up like I did the first time!

Oh my goodness! You are superwoman! I can’t even imagine. I was constantly tired during the first two weeks and I’m not one to sleep a whole lot. The first week I did respond to 2 or 3 emails but then had to force myself to stop it. I felt I owed to myself and my coworkers to recover properly so that I could get back in a timely manner.

Glad you are surviving the changes @smstok. I can relate to the 500 emails. I went through mine at home and deleted the unnecessary ones, dealt with ones I felt like, and forwarded a lot to my assistant director. Will most likely do something similar with right hip-once I’m not taking narcotics!

Hi @smstok
You had a whole lot of excitement going on. New hip, new digs.
How exciting.....out with the old, in with the new!
Hope your week runs smoothly as you continue to heal and adjust to all.

Hi @smstok, I've just been reading your thread and have found it truly inspirational. You had a long journey to even get to your surgery but seem to have thrived since. I don't know how you got back to 10 hour shifts at 6 weeks post op. I had my op at the end of October and will be returning to work as a ward nurse in a couple of weeks and am terrified at the prospect!
Hope everything is going well with you. Will continue to follow your thread with interest.

Hey @smstok
Two months post op already. Wondering how your recovery is coming along.
Have you settled in to your new work space yet?
You seemed pretty excited about it in one of your last posts.
Hope all is going well. Update us when you're able.
A great weekend to you!

@gillycat11 so glad you are able to find some inspiration in my thread. Just out of curiosity Which surgery did you have (anterior or posterior)?
It is definitely a little daunting going back but it hasn’t been bad at all. In fact!! I purposely do much more walking and go outside on a break and do a little more walking. It’s my primary physical therapy. I’m so excited to be able to walk like a normal person once again. My surgeon is truly my hero. I had another follow up appointment yesterday and expressed exactly that to him. My Dr and a few nurses were amazed how great I look. I truly was a mess prior to surgery. The pain really sucked the life out of me. So they were seeing the real me for the first time.
Stay positive! Your first day will probably the most difficult but it’s all down hill from there. Let me know how it goes. [emoji4][emoji4]

@pkuznets.. I had my follow up appt yesterday and we talked about going back to the gym and which workouts I should or should not do. There isn’t much I can’t do according to him but he did advise to stay away from deep lunges for a few more months and no yoga. He doesn’t want me doing too much stretching at this point. I found that a bit interesting and thought I would share. Hope all is going well for you

@Layla. You must have been tuned in to me because I just posted a little update. All is going well. Getting ready to get back to the gym and get back to getting fit.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom