Guest viewing is limited

THR Lower back pain/sleeping on my back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you are having sleep problems. Unfortunately it is all a part of this recovery. Here's an article from our Library on it Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it? Don't fight it. Just sleep during the day when you can.
I'm still using the pain pills, I'm a wimp, but am tapering off of them.
I hope you aren't tapering off your meds at night. This can be a part of your sleep issues. Any discomfort can disrupt your sleep.

If you are nervous about getting about on your own, come here to share your concerns. Our members come up with some great tips for coping with recovery on your own. Many of us spent most of our days alone. You are moving around on your own now - just keep it slow and steady. You'll be fine!
 
Me too, i woke up last night around 2 with groin pain, maybe level 3. I walked outside for the first time yesterday, once with the PT and the second time with Nancy. PT man had me do one stair step- going up was fine, but down really hurt. As you said, the extra activity probalby set off the night time issue, or a wrong turn in bed, who knows?

i understand what you are saying about not wanting to let on you are nervous. You will be fine and you'll have all your basic stuff planned out like food and clothes within easy reach! And lots of reading/writing/netflix activities planned!
 
Sorry you are having sleep problems. Unfortunately it is all a part of this recovery. Here's an article from our Library on it Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it? Don't fight it. Just sleep during the day when you can.
I hope you aren't tapering off your meds at night. This can be a part of your sleep issues. Any discomfort can disrupt your sleep.

If you are nervous about getting about on your own, come here to share your concerns. Our members come up with some great tips for coping with recovery on your own. Many of us spent most of our days alone. You are moving around on your own now - just keep it slow and steady. You'll be fine!

Hi Jaycey, thanks for the wonderful information. I am not stopping my night time pain meds. I take a Hydroxyzine Pamoate 25mg and a Oxycodone 5mg along with 1 each Tylenol and Aspirin. I'm only tapering during the day as I feel comfortable doing it.

My mobility has been great, no cane in a week, so no concerns or worries about getting up during the night. Honestly I think after 6-8 hours without a pain pill and pretty much sleeping in 1 position my body is just sore and stiff. I am resting during the day, my energy level is still pretty low, but hopefully that will return soon.
 
Me too, i woke up last night around 2 with groin pain, maybe level 3. I walked outside for the first time yesterday, once with the PT and the second time with Nancy. PT man had me do one stair step- going up was fine, but down really hurt. As you said, the extra activity probalby set off the night time issue, or a wrong turn in bed, who knows?

i understand what you are saying about not wanting to let on you are nervous. You will be fine and you'll have all your basic stuff planned out like food and clothes within easy reach! And lots of reading/writing/netflix activities planned!


Thanks Lore, food is ready and am set to be solo (if you don't count the 2 dogs and 3 cats) till Friday. I know I'll be just fine.

Sorry the stairs were so painful, that stepping down is hard. Just remember soon this will all be over. Yay!!
 
Thanks Lore, food is ready and am set to be solo (if you don't count the 2 dogs and 3 cats) till Friday. I know I'll be just fine.

Sorry the stairs were so painful, that stepping down is hard. Just remember soon this will all be over. Yay!!

Your 4 legged pals will keep you busy! Rudy the cat is loving all the pillows and cushions everywhere
walking now with cane more! everyday gets better, doesnt it? will try stair step again today w PT
 
Laying here with my 4th night of insomnia, searched with insomnia as keyword and found ya'll on this thread. Clearly I'm not the only one, but Im not sure why I can't sleep. Maybe a combo of cutting back on meds, doing more, neck & back aching, not able to sleep on side, stressing about work, listening to my husband snoring next to me, hot then cold, etc. At this point, I'm going a lil' crazy. No naps, no nighttime sleep, just awake, in pain and frustrated. Grrrrrrrr. In the past, once I get in an insomnia streak it is very difficult to get back to normal sleep patterns.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Maybe a combo of cutting back on meds, doing more
This does not make sense. Why would you cut down on your pain meds and expect to be able to do more? You are still very early out of major surgery. Take your pain meds as prescribed, around the clock until you start forgetting doses. I'll bet you get a better sleep if you try this.
 
@Tweefishy
I've mentioned this before on a different thread and I'm not familiar with this cocktail for sleeping and any drug interactions while taking pain meds, but I'll mention it again here for you...

I used to live with chronic insomnia for years. I tried all the sleeping pills available, only to find I would build up a tolerance to them within a couple of weeks. About 4 or 5 years ago, my PCP prescribed 100mg of Trazadone(a very low dosage and no addiction worries) and .10mg of Xanax at bedtime. The doc explained the Xanax will get me sleepy and the Trazadone will KEEP me asleep. This cocktail completely cured my insomnia and I sleep like a baby. I have never needed to up the dosage and once I was used to the medication (about 2 weeks), I had no lingering sleepiness during the day. If I'm not mistaken, I think I started with .5mg of the Xanax.

Hopefully this might help...at least you can ask your PCP if this is something you can take while on the pain meds. I'm sure I will REALLY need it once on Vicodin (or whichever pain meds I'm given), as pain meds hype me up, which isn't the best thing for sleeping.
 
@Tweefishy@Cynthia777 I have Xanax .5 also and cut them in half. In this recovery we need to use what works! Call that kaiser doc and get an rx before the weekend if you can.
 
@donor my main problem wasn't falling asleep really (a boring book put me to sleep every time), my problem was waking at 3:00 am or 4:00 am every single morning (no matter what time I went to sleep)! EXHAUSTING!
 
@Cynthia777 I understand that feeling in the middle of the night when you must be the only person on earth awake... argggg.
 
My Doc prescribed Trazadone for sleep for me. That was a huge mistake for me. Lol. It made me want to literally run people over and then back over them! Fits of rage. And..I am a very mellow person. It's crazy. Prednisone does the same thing as well. I also suffer from insomnia. I take 10mg of Ambien and Tramadol every night. The Tramadol helps with my back. I have chronic pain issues. On a positive note my right hip is doing great. I'm 8 weeks out and very happy I had it done.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom