Guest viewing is limited

THR Lower back pain/sleeping on my back

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of rant here, proceed at your own caution.

Waking up crying in pain sucks! I've started sleeping some on my side during the night, I let my body dictate for how long, so far it had been doing pretty good. For some reason early this morning 5ish I woke myself up crying as I couldn't get turned from my side to my back. Within a few minutes I was able to get turned and after some deep breathing I got myself up and took my pills. Now you get to put up with me until my pills kick in. lol

Most days I'm doing very well post op. Once I realized that this is slow paced marathon my mind set was good. However yesterday I was in a huge funk, tired of the discomfort, tired of the tightness around the incision, tired of no appetiate, you see the pattern here. I allowed myself a funk day, told myself that tomorrow I will pull up my big girl pants and have a great day. So here it is tomorrow and the day is starting off with a bang. sigh

What I'm so grateful for is a safe place to vent, a place where others get it. Thank you for giving us this little section of cyberspace to join together.

Now I'm going to walk a bit till these meds kick in.
 
Its certainly good to have a rant now and again @Julie_MN. I do hope your pain meds kick in soon and you start to feel better. I too wake up in the night crying due to pain, a different pain to yours but I do know how you are feeling. I've not tried sleeping on my side yet, I have a hospital check up tomorrow I think I will ask then if its allowed so I can hopefully get some relief on my back.

Take care.
 
It know exactly what you are feeling. Keeping yourself in the marathon not the sprint frame of mind is incredibly difficult. The real key, as Josephine said, is staying ahead of pain and stiffness, soreness, anything that hurts. I took to setting my alarm to get my pain meds in me in the early days. I generally had to go to the bathroom then anyway, and I felt SO much better if I got those pills every three or four hours all night long. You sleep deeper, even if you wake up to take a pill.
I was not the queen of patience, believe you me, but your body is going to do what it's going to do in its own time.
Thank you Lynn, it is so nice to see I'm not the only one lacking in the patience department.
How are you doing now?
 
I was the same as you @Julie_MN taking 1 pill every 4 or 5 hours, unless I could feel any pain, then I would take two. Hospital prescribed pills run out yesterday, so I am trying normal paracetamol, which seems to be working so far, taking two every 6 hours
Liz, how are you feeling now?
 
Its certainly good to have a rant now and again @Julie_MN. I do hope your pain meds kick in soon and you start to feel better. I too wake up in the night crying due to pain, a different pain to yours but I do know how you are feeling. I've not tried sleeping on my side yet, I have a hospital check up tomorrow I think I will ask then if its allowed so I can hopefully get some relief on my back.

Take care.
Good thing about taking the meds on an empty stomach they sure kick in quickly. I hope all goes well at your appointment tomorrow.
 
@Julie_MN could not have described night time any better. Right with you! Fell asleep last night without cpap on. Woke up at 2:00, in pain, lights and TV on. Hubby sound asleep. Turned everything off, 20 minute activity, put Cpap on and tried to sleep. Woke up an hour later, forgot to turn cpap on but had the mask on, throat sore from snoring and back is out of whack. Go to the bathroom and ankle hurts too. Then hip starts throbbing. Going be a great day! Just add a hot flash to the mix. Recovery sure is fun. Thank you for listening to my rant too. Actually reading yours makes me feel less alone in this fish pond. Starting to dislike night time greatly. Hugs, good thoughts and a good day to you.
 
@sunbunny @Liznwiz @Julie_MN I called these episodes my toddler times. I was tired, tired of hurting, tired of not being able to put my underwear on like a human being, tired of feeling like a raw nerve... You get the idea.
Allow yourselves as much toddler time as you need. This surgery can give you that feeling, and you just have to ride it out, I found.
We're here for you all, and we get it.
Take good care
 
@LibraryLynn you are right certainly feels like toddler time, I just want to throw a tantrum, especially when my hubby tells me the pain in my left leg is just psychological!!!
Night times are definately the worst part.
As for underwear I sometimes feel like its a fishing game. Grab the undies with a grabber, make sure the right hole is in the right place and then pray your foot goes through the hole first time. What a palaver it all is. Its a good job its summer, I've given up wearing socks, but of course I do have the dellightful pressure stockings to wear.
 
@JulieMN

The last two mornings, I've woken with mild back pain from sleeping flat on my back. Did you try a pillow under your knees, and, if so, did it provide you with relief?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco
 
@JulieJF Sleeping on back has been an issue for me as well. I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond a back pillow with arm rests ( like we used in college ...think it is sometimes called a husband.) I also use an assortment of pillows until I find a comfy combo. Starting week three I practiced lying on the non operated side for five minutes or so with a king pillow between my legs. I was always a side sleeper prior to surgery. I can now comfortably lie on nonoperated side for an hour or so. Good luck with the sleeping thing. I still dread the night time.
 
@Julie_MN could not have described night time any better. Right with you! Fell asleep last night without cpap on. Woke up at 2:00, in pain, lights and TV on. Hubby sound asleep. Turned everything off, 20 minute activity, put Cpap on and tried to sleep. Woke up an hour later, forgot to turn cpap on but had the mask on, throat sore from snoring and back is out of whack. Go to the bathroom and ankle hurts too. Then hip starts throbbing. Going be a great day! Just add a hot flash to the mix. Recovery sure is fun. Thank you for listening to my rant too. Actually reading yours makes me feel less alone in this fish pond. Starting to dislike night time greatly. Hugs, good thoughts and a good day to you.

That is what I love about coming to this forum is reading that others have the not so good nights/days, but that the good days/nights are right around the corner. Sunbunny, we can do this and in a few months time we will look back on this and pat each other on the back for a job well done!

I hope that you are able to rest better this evening.
 
@JulieMN

The last two mornings, I've woken with mild back pain from sleeping flat on my back. Did you try a pillow under your knees, and, if so, did it provide you with relief?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco

Hi Julie, I have rolled up a small blanket and that helps a bit. But I think this will hang around until we are able to move around at night.
How is your recovery coming along, you are almost at week 1!
 
@sunbunny @Liznwiz @Julie_MN I called these episodes my toddler times. I was tired, tired of hurting, tired of not being able to put my underwear on like a human being, tired of feeling like a raw nerve... You get the idea.
Allow yourselves as much toddler time as you need. This surgery can give you that feeling, and you just have to ride it out, I found.
We're here for you all, and we get it.
Take good care

Toddler time, I LOVE it!
 
@Julie_MN
Recovery is coming along. I walked in the corridor of my apartment building today...and I'm looking forward to showering in the near future. Woot woot!
 
It must have been some kind of hippy moon last night. I too have a hard time sleeping on my back. I wake up every night after being asleep for 2-3 hours. Ugh. I want to sleep through the night. I had to read for about 1/2 hour last night before I fell back to sleep.

Sleeping on my back is not a good position for my sleep apnea. I normally alternative between my sides. On my back I tend to get leaks when my lips fall open even though my jaw/mouth is shut. It just does not make for a restful sleep.

I have gotten the OK to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs but it is just not that comfortable.

Here's hoping we all sleep like babies tonight rather than having toddler moments in the middle of the night.
 
Julie_MN

I had my second hip done onMay 4th. Granted this time around is easier but ...I had my left one done 10 months ago. I am a side sleeper. I am miserable at night. I am 10 days out from surgery and I can't get comfortable I have such pain on the outside part of my leg and my right knee is bugging me. Does anyone ever have knee issues after a THR?
I remember from the first surgery I was exhausted all the time. I find that to be the same. I can't lay on my first surgery side very well. Well I can't at all now. I wish I could get a good few hours of sleep. At least here in MN it's still cool at night.

Good luck and happy healing hippies

Fearbox


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Julie_MN
Recovery is coming along. I walked in the corridor of my apartment building today...and I'm looking forward to showering in the near future. Woot woot!

Great job Julie!

I love taking showers, the warm water feels so good on my lower back. When do you get to take one?

BTW it is so funny seeing your name because my initials are JF (Julie Frances) Small world huh?
 
Julie_MN

I had my second hip done onMay 4th. Granted this time around is easier but ...I had my left one done 10 months ago. I am a side sleeper. I am miserable at night. I am 10 days out from surgery and I can't get comfortable I have such pain on the outside part of my leg and my right knee is bugging me. Does anyone ever have knee issues after a THR?
I remember from the first surgery I was exhausted all the time. I find that to be the same. I can't lay on my first surgery side very well. Well I can't at all now. I wish I could get a good few hours of sleep. At least here in MN it's still cool at night.

Good luck and happy healing hippies

Fearbox


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum


Awww Fearbox, your 2nd surgery! You are a much braver person than I am.

I haven't had pain on the outside part of my leg, but at times my knee will be sore. I think mine is from PT. Of course I have decided to blame everything on the evil PT.

So you are a fellow MN? Yes the weather has been cooler, but i could do without the rain.

Good luck to you Fearbox, and hoping to sound sleeping for us all soon.
 
Julie_MN Yes u am a fellow Minnesotan. We live in Prior Lake, Southern Metro Area. We needed the rain. At least today is going to be nice out.
I feel like an old pro with my second hip replacement. I was in quite a bit of pain pre surgery. I not longer have that pain. I think all my pain is just surgical pain. I'm still using crutches. I tried to walk already today without them. Definitely not there yet. I know the recovery process is definitely a marathon. I will eventually get some sleep. I'm looking forward to getting my bandage off. Then I'm sure I will start some pool PT. I'm looking forward to that
Hope you are doing well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom