TKR Low back pain after TKR

While we were in the General Dollar Store, we saw our new neighbors who moved into our neighborhood during the summer. The woman had had knee replacement just a few months before they moved in, she and I had the same OS, she told me it's almost a year now and she still has discomfort and pain but she never limped or had to use a cane much at all.
 
Everyone's recovery is different. That's why we advise you not to compare.
Your knee must have had a lot of work done to it during surgery and it needed you to use a cane. So, you do what's necessary to keep your knee happy.
 
Seems like it doesn’t take much activity to bring on the pain and discomfort
 
I really pray this limp goes away and the pain. Today my lower back hurts so trying to take it easier.
 
Our neighbors husband said he had had heart valve replacement and he believes his wifes knee replacement surgery was much worse and harder to go through than his valve replacement was. I was amazed he said that.
 
I am finding myself very frustrated, tomorrow will be three months since my tkr and I'm still limping and the knee is sore a lot. I am doing all I know to do to work on these issues. Should I go back into theraphy or go see my surgeon to see if something is wrong? I am really down over this.
 
I have been trying to do more and getting out more but didn't really think it's been too much. I don't feel like I'm doing much at all and that is even frustrating.
 
Hi @Softtail am 5weeks thr and low back really not happy. Curious to know what back exercises you are doing ?
If my back no better after xmas might see private physio as my nhs physio not till 14th.
Thanks
 
I have a recumbent bike I ride almost every day, plus do some stretches. The back pain is better but totally gone. I did get new shoes as well. I hope you can find relief.
 
Cathippy, around that same amount of time period, after my tkr, was when my back pain started too. It may be our bodies readjusting.
 
Roy Gardener, if it's not better after Christmas, I am going to make an appointment to see my OS's assistant and have him check my knee out.
 
Hi @MEPil , That low back pain is so annoying, I still have it too, and doesn’t take much activity to make it flare up. But the knee still hurts a lot too, so the back and the knee appear to be partners in crime.
Like you, I feel I’m not doing too much, but we probably are doing much more than we did a few weeks ago. If my iPad is telling the truth my surfing time is down 46%, so it seems my activity level has risen considerably. :)
Whoever said this recovery is a marathon and not a sprint is so correct.:console2:
 
I guess we are up and getting around more than we think. It just feels like this recovery is going up hill all the way and I just can't reach the top to get to the other side. I hope you start feeling better soon. My back pain is better, not totally gone but better. It's mostly the limp and pain and soreness that's giving me so much trouble. I am trying to watch my walking, heal to toe but can't seem to get off the cane without limping.
 
Just an update on progress.
I just reached 4 months post op and starting to feel progress, still not where I'd like, but better. Still limping some and using crutch when needed but doing hip stregthening exercises. Lower back pain there but just enough to let me know it. Doing back exercises. If nothing else, I am learning to move ahead and be patient, it takes time, not easy for me to do.
Hope you all are recovering well
 
If you’re feeling progress (finally) at four months, you’re on the right track. Some people see earlier results, but most of us need three to four months to feel we’re getting to the other side of this surgery. It’s certainly not any easier when you’re dealing with back pain! As you are able to do more walking and just moving around, including more back exercises, your back should give you some relief.

Patience is the hardest part of this recovery. I wish I could bottle it!
 
Yes, Susieshoes you are so right. This is my second knee surgery. My left knee was 10 years ago and went so well, back to work in 6 weeks, this right knee and challenges it has brought me is taking much longer. This right one must have been much worse. When did you have yours done and how are you doing now?
 
My left knee was 10 years ago and went so well, back to work in 6 weeks, this right knee and challenges it has brought me is taking much longer. This right one must have been much worse.
This is why we shouldn’t compare, but it’s so hard not to! We don’t always know what went on during surgery that can affect recovery.

I’m glad you are coming along. I have back issues also, and some arthritis in my other knee. I tend to consider my whole body when doing things for this knee recovery. I will slack off on knee things if its going be a problem on my other areas. For instance, riding a bike bothers my other knee and also affects nerve damage in my foot (when pedaling) so even though the bike is good for my new knee, I don’t do it.
 
Jockette, you do have your challenges too. It sure is a learn as you go experience. I am learning that but it's not easy. I have had back problems through the years and a limp before the surgery, compensation for the knee, seems like my body is relearning how to work right. They told me in PT my right hip was very weak and I'd have to work on it with the exercises they gave me. I am, just wish the back pain would go away, seems like the Periformis Muscle to me. Trying to do exercises for it too, every problem is on the same side.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom