TKR Low back pain after TKR

This right one must have been much worse. When did you have yours done and how are you doing now?

It's quite possible your right knee was worse off to begin with and needed more work done during surgery. Or it could just be that knee being idiosyncratic.

I had my knees done in May 2017, so not quite two years ago. My knees were done at the same time, but they recovered quite individually. My right knee was an angel, as maybe your left knee was. Not a lot of pain and got back up to speed quickly. And then there was Lefty... the laggard. Lefty hurt more and for longer, bent less, acted up for various reasons for several months. At this point, though, left and right are both pain-free and wonderful. It just took Lefty eight additional months to get there. :snork:

For what it's worth, my left knee was my worse knee going into surgery. My OS said he needed to "clean up a few things" in there. Bone spurs had done a bit of damage.

Anyway, comparing is pretty pointless. Each knee is going to recover as best it can. Oh, and my back issues before surgery? I'm knocking on wood right now, but my back hasn't been a problem since about five months post-BTKR. I walk daily now and I think the muscles getting stronger (hip, back, and belly) really helped give my back more support. So there's hope. No guarantees, of course, but lots of reason to hope.
 
I think sometimes we can do too much to help our body. It needs time to adjust to the new normal and sort itself out. I’m a big fan of letting that happen with the “less is more” theory.

Personally, I don’t agree that every issue needs an exercise to fix it. PTs are all about exercise this and exercise that. For me, wait and see and be careful works just as well.
 
And like Susie, I agree that walking is a wonderful thing for a body and can do more for it than we give it credit for!
 
It will probably be a slow process with the hip muscle. I know my PT said I had similar issues probably due to years of compensating for the knees.
 
It seems like certain times of the day is harder to just walk without the limp so here comes the cane again. Could the back pain be working against the limp and contributing to it?
 
I know my PT said I walked like someone with back problems and weak hip muscles. They can tell a lot by your gait.
 
Your hip muscles are responsible for lateral stability of your knee (I know - sounds weird but true). Between the weaker hips (from lack of movement from early recovery etc) and some of the flexibility/balance exercises from PT using our back muscles too, it's not surprising we end up with sore backs. Add in an occasional lift or twist movement when we're feeling better (could even be getting in or out of the car) and zing.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom