Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually surprised that not more people are having it done this way!
Yes, Sandy, it seems that Rush Ortho does it's own thing. Sounds like you're happy with your choice in the end, so really, that's what matters. Although "minimally invasive" does seem to be the way it's done these days with regards to length of incision, I guess I need to clarify and say that mine was not only "minimally invasive," it was "quad-sparing," and I think that is where much confusion lies when talking about TKR's. As Tennis Nut says, people I talk to about it seem to assume it was a partial TKR, when in fact, it wasn't. I was even told that it was probably a full TKR, but the implant was smaller?? Not sure how that would work when my knee is the same size as anyone else's. I guess until it becomes more mainstream, quad-sparing, minimally invasive TKR will just remain misunderstood.
 
Sorry I hit the post button too soon.I believe the fact is that not too many orthopedic surgeons specialize in this approach, and not to many patients even had any knowledge about this procedure. Some doctors even said that the traditional TKR procedure is safer and that after 6 months, there is no difference with regard to the function. However, from your experience as well as those who had MisTKR procedure showed that less pain, and faster recovery. Thus why I have decided to go to a surgeon who is 500 miles from my home because he has used this procedure for over 10 years and operated over 5000 knees. It should be pointed out that you do want to find a surgeon who has a lot of experience in this procedures. My operation has not been scheduled because I cracked my wrist bone, and I need to wait my wrist is fully recovered. When I have my operation, I will post my experience to inform everyone if I also have a fast recovery.
 
You are absolutely correct....many aren't even aware that the surgery can be done this way. I did lots of research before choosing a surgeon, and found one who pretty much it this way exclusively. I know that at six months there won't be much difference between me or those who have it done the way it is traditionally, but I don't have the luxury of taking months off from work. I work in a school, so having them both done in the summer was perfect for me. Can I ask where you are having your surgery done?? Hope your wrist is feeling better! There always seems to be some sort of stumbling block when we make plans, doesn't it? Hope you don't have to wait too long!
 
Hi Love, I read your whole thread yesterday and was so happy to find you. I too am having both knees replaced by Dr. Berger 6 wks. apart- 1st one 9/5/13 and 2nd one 10/17/13. I'm so glad to read that you're doing well and that your 2nd TKR is behind you. All the best to you during your recovery and thanks for all the great posts! Cathy
 
Trueblue, welcome--glad to find another Chicagoan here! Rush (especially since the complete redesign) is an amazing hospital--had many a stay there. Had its ortho dept. been covered by my insurer, and had I qualified for the truly MIS technique, I might have gone the Berger route as well. (As it turned out, I'm happy with both knees I had done by Dr. Wixson at NorthShore-affiliated hospitals). When we're all up, about, & driving again we Chitown Bonesmarties ought to get together for lunch or at least coffee!

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend--whoop it up, eat & drink well (and may I suggest the Fox Valley Folk Festival)? :angel:
 
Hi Trueblue!! So glad you found us! As Sandy said, there are several Chicagoans here, but I haven't seen a Dr. Berger patient here since my lurking days a year or so ago. I can't sing his praises enough. His staff is absolutely wonderful. I always call with questions and get a call back within minutes. You don't see much of the doc himself, but that was ok by me. As long as my questions were answered, I was good. I am so very pleased with the way everything has turned out and I hope you're able to say that soon. I did ask Jenny yesterday (one of his nurses) how many of us were gluttons for punishment and came back six weeks later to do it all over again. She said about a third. So we're not the only crazy ones out there! I can honestly say my pain level has been no more than a 1 or 2 today. My pain was yesterday when I only received one Norco at 8:15, and then didn't get anything midday since I had been discharged and waited forever for a wheelchair so I could leave. My the time I got home, my pain level was probably an 8. Once I was in control again I was fine. I got up this morning and was pain-free. I made sure I took two Norcos during the night, which I'm sure helped.

Like Sandy said, all of us local ladies should get together when we're all finished. In addition to us, we have Brithael and Lexismom, both of whom live in Homewood. I'm in Orland Park.

Let me know if you have any questions about the surgery!
 
And I'm a Northsider, living in Edgewater a couple of miles s. of Evanston. But not being a native Chicagoan, I gladly root for both the Cubs and Sox. (Please don't mention that in your neighborhood taverns)!
 
I've always been a Cubs fan even though I grew up on the south side. Other than my four years of college in Evanston and a couple of years in Iowa City, I've always lived down south.
 
You are absolutely correct....many aren't even aware that the surgery can be done this way. I did lots of research before choosing s surgeon, and found one who pretty much it this way exclusively. I know that at six months there won't be much difference between me or those who have it done the way it is traditionally, but I don't have the luxury of taking months off from work. I work in a school, so having them both done in the summer was perfect for me. Can I ask where you are having your surgery done?? Hope your wrist is feeling better! There always seems to be some sort of stumbling block when we make plans, doesn't it? Hope you don't have to wait too long!
My surgeon is I SF area, and I live in Orange County. Just like you, I did a lot of research. I believe we who have the knowledge about MISTKR should do our best to spread the words around, so more people can be benefit from this procedure.
 
I'm totally on board with getting together sometime after all are healed. There's three of us in the south, and one in the north, and wherever TruBlue is from, we could find a happy meeting point hopefully before we go from construction to winter!
BTW, I'm not a real Chicagoan, I just play one on TV. Seriously, although my husband and I were married in North Chicago - he's originally from Bristol, England, and I'm a native Texan.
 
Carolina girl, my daughter did fine. I knew she'd manage, but the mom in me wanted to be there. Guess it was pretty straightforward, no surprises. She already has her new driver's license and has applied for a new Soc. Security card. She's decided to take some more scuba classes for more advanced certifications and she's hoping to meet some new people in the dive club or on dives. Next week she's already doing a deep water dive in Lakr Michigan. I'm just glad she's not holing up in her apartment. Getting out and meeting new people is a good sign. Thanks for asking!
 
How did your surgery go, we have it on the same day, so far, I feel ok, But I think the worst is yet to come, it that correct?
 
Hey, we're on the other side, so it will only get better! I'm doing great...virtually no pain, but that may change when the physical therapist comes in a bit. Seriously, I don't think it will get worse. You will be uncomfortable at times, but just remember to stay ahead of the pain with your meds. Don't worry about becoming addicted! You have them for a reason, so be sure to take them. I had my left knee done six weeks ago and this one is very similar as far as recovery is going.
 
My surgeon is I SF area, and I live in Orange County. Just like you, I did a lot of research. I believe we who have the knowledge about MISTKR should do our best to spread the words around, so more people can be benefit from this procedure.

As I mentioned before, my doctor has patients from all over the country. There was a man from Georgia in my pre-op class, and he had been referred to Dr. Berger by another person in Georgia who had used him. I'm curious how it works for post-op visits though??? Do you have to go back to the surgeon or can you see someone local?
 
Jean, great that your daughter is out doing things. Activity will keep her from dwelling on things so much. Saw the PT this morning. He encouraged me to see the OS to get the missed staple out so I have an appointment for Monday. He is very pleased with my progress. Extension has been good from beginning. Flexion was 84 first day of therapy. Today it was 104. So he thinks I am a little ahead of the game. I think the ultimate is 120 which is what my good leg is. My husband is heading back to school in one more week so I hope to start driving then. Have a great day doing nothing! LOL!
 
That staple isn't going to get caught on anything is it?? Your progress is amazing! My extension was always pretty bad for some reason. Last Friiday it was finally a little better....3! My extension was coming along...two weeks ago it was 119, but I lost ground last week when I was off my meds and the inflammation started up ago. It was down to 111. Actually it was measured by a different person that day.....maybe that had something to do with it?? Anyway, keep up the good work! It can only get better, right?? Have a great weekend!
 
I know right where it is! There are a lot of us Chicago area people here! Four of us are south siders, too. But we will let Sandy (Dulcimer Diva) be in our "club."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom