Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did run it by the therapist yesterday and she asked if I had a knee that kneeling was allowed on???? I thought you could if it didn't bother you?? Anyway, I haven't knelt in years, but on the bed it didn't bother me in the least. It was for no more than 20 seconds each time and since it hasn't seemed to make anything worse, and felt good on my back, I don't thing there was any harm done. I certainly won't be down on my knees scrubbing floors or anything!
 
Amazing! I had a drain in for 48 hours, I think.
 
Hey, Love's, hope you had a great trip and are rested for your big day next week. I stand in awe of you.
 
Got home last night, so have been doing laundry, grocery shopping, gas station, dropped off post-op prescriptions at Walgreens, car wash, and, oh yes...eyebrows done at Nordstrom's! Gettin' my ducks in a row for Tuesday!
 
Glad you made it back okay. I have been thinking about you and hoping you we're having a good time on you mini-vacation.
 
We did have a nice time! Weather was mid 70's, but low 50's at night..."good sleeping weather." Tough 10 hour drive home yesterday though. I'm off my meds for the upcoming surgery, so my back was really feeling it. I got a little reading in, but my husband replaced shingles on the roof, fixed a leaking sink, etc. Ah, the joys of a vacation home!
 
I can sure tell I've been off my anti-inflammatory since Monday! Only taking Tylenol these days in preparation for Tuesday's surgery. I was starting to think my right knee wasn't really too bad after all, but this week has been an eye opener. Off to my last PT before round two....hope I can make it through. Almost cancelled since I'm hurtin' today!
 
Sure thinking positive thoughts for you as you head into the next surgery. Can't imagine having to go off pain meds so close to your original TKR.
 
Tuesday!! Can't believe that your new surgery date is almost here. Do you feel ready to get it over with? I will sure be thinking of you the next couple of days and praying for a positive recovery. Post when you can; I'm anxious to hear how you do.
Karyn
 
I'm very ready to get it over with and to start feeling "normal" again! It seems like my knees have been my focus for years, as I'm sure it has been for most of you. I see how far I've come in five short weeks and know I can do this. I've been lucky that much of my outpatient PT has been in the same location as the gym I belong to. The therapist has let me rehab on many of the machines I normally use (with much lighter weights, of course) and have been able to continue "pre-habbing" my right leg and knee while I've been rehabbing my left.

I had a different therapist today as my usual one is on vacation. I told her right off that I was hurting a bit today and she was so nice to me! As I thought, however, my flexion went down about 8 degrees from last week. I could tell yesterday that I was quite a bit stiffer since I've been off the meds. My extension improved by 4 degrees, though. I've been really working at it and feel it paid off.
 
Ok, having a major meltdown. Nurse just called and my surgery is scheduled for 3:00. I can deal with having to spend the night, although I know already I will get not a wink of sleep. I've been in the hospital before, and I truly don't sleep at all. To me it's the worst thing you can do to someone with pretty severe insomnia. What I'm the most upset about is that we just found out last Friday that the court date for our daughter's divorce is Wednesday. Since I can't be there with her, I was hoping my husband could be there for her. She is so incredibly sad and depressed...bereft would be a good word to describe her right now. Now he'll be with me instead and it just breaks my heart. The thought of canceling has crossed my mind, but don't think I'll actually do it.
 
Oh Jean, it's never one thing, is it? You know, of course, that oftentimes cases never get heard on their original date? So maybe it will be delayed. I am with you about the overnight in the hospital. They would have to give me something! Is your surgery is so late in the day, why do you have to stay overnight?
 
Apparently 3:00 is past the "magic hour" of letting you go home. My last one was scheduled for 7:45 , but didn't start until 8:30. I've been so upset about my daughter and the way she is being treated by her soon to be ex and his latest girlfriend that I just started crying on the phone when the nurse called. Felt so stupid, but couldn't help it. They darned well better give me something for sleep that night!! You gotta love the nothing to eat or drink after midnight rule even if your surgery is at 3:00. I asked about that and she said midnight is still the cut-off. One of my knee scopes was scheduled for noon and didn't happen until 3:00, but as the time got later and later, my hunger got less and less. Maybe I was just madder and madder! Hope that happens again this time!
 
Oh, Jean, I feel for you--it always seems to happen that our loved ones need us just when we need THEM the most. Only consolation is that if the court appearance is just for the signing of the decree and not a trial, the worst is already behind your daughter. If you weren't going to be holed up at Rush that day, I'd offer to play at the divorce party--maybe "Hit the Road, Jack, "Love Stinks," or "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover." (Everybody plays wedding receptions, so why not a divorce party)?

All kidding aside, I'll be thinking of you and hoping all goes well Tuesday. Rush is a much nicer place to spend the night than it was even a decade ago. (The orderlies will even make a Starbucks run for you).
 
You're right Sandy. It's just to make it official, but as her mom, it's killing me not to be there with her. Now that I think about it, your play list sounds great...I'll have to mention it to her. The way he's been lately, it's just making it easier and easier for her (and us). Thanks for telling me about the orderlies and Starbucks...are you serious? I am a "Gold " card Starbucks devotee!
 
Not sure if hospital kiosks honor the card--the ones at airports usually don't though those at tollway oases do. It's been awhile since I've been back at Rush--not sure if the lobby kiosk is still a Starbucks or an independent such as the one they have in the Prof. Bldg. lobby.But those orderlies will fetch you a latte anyway.
 
I haven't seen a Starbucks in my recent visits, but I love the thought of having someone fetch something for me!
 
Sorry about the convergence of all things. It does seem to happen like that, doesn't it. Try to get your mind off everything having to wait so long for surgery. I hated having to get to the hospital at 6:30 a.m., but was so happy to get it over early. I guess someone has to be in the afternoon, it just sucks that it's you!
 
Since I'm usually awake by 4:30, it's going to make for a long day! Just wish the timing was better in regards to what's going on with my daughter. Her court time is 9:30, so maybe hubby can do both?? Not sure how "on-time" Cook Co. courts are, but I'm guessing they're not great. I was told discharge time was usually around 11:00, so I can hang tight if I have to. Maybe have a delicious lunch served up by the hospital chefs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom