Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carolina girl and Travlingirl04, I think I've surprised myself! Of course you never know when you'll have a setback, but I'm trying to stay positive. I really think our minds tell us the worst-case scenario and when that doesn't happen we are pleasantly surprised. I also feel that since I went through with the surgery, I darned well better follow through with the rehab so it's not all for nothing!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: pdx
You are so right! Attitude is everything! I was telling my husband tonight that it took me years to get to this point, my decision is made and I am praying for a good outcome. I am so thankful that I have the guidance of so many veterans on this board!
 
Of course you're nervous! Last Monday I had lunch with friends, ran last-minute errands and just tried to keep busy. Do you know what time yet?? Oddly, last Tuesday on the way to the hospital and once we were there, I felt very calm and peaceful. It was basically out of my hands at that point. Just think, in a matter of hours, you'll be on the road to recovery! Just remember, you've wanted this for so long! I'll say it again, the pain you currently have will be gone. The "healing pain" you will experience will get better, whereas your arthritic pain was not ever going to get better!
 
I've noticed the last few days since I've finally had the nerve to actually touch my incision, that the area around the incision feels a little warm. Not burning up, just a little warm. I don't notice any redness or swelling, other than the knee still being a little swollen from last Tuesday's surgery. I'm going to assume this is normal since everything else seems fine??? I knew before the surgery that there would be numb spots on the knee, so that I'm not worried about. Any advice or reassurance is welcome! :what:
 
Hi Lovestoread Don't worry about your knee feeling warm. I will be 11 weeks post op tomorrow and my knee still gets warm. Think that is completely normal. I too have numb spots on and around my knee. My OS said that was completely normal as certain nerves were cut and it takes time for them to heal. He said some areas may remain slightly numb permanently. Glad to read that you are doing so well--keep it up!!!!
 
Thanks for the reply! I knew there would be numb spots, but couldn't remember about the incision site being warm. Since the area wasn't red or swollen or anything and not actually "hot" I was assuming it was ok. Thanks for allaying my fears!
 
Ok, time for me to "fess up." Two weeks ago I started complaining that I would have to wear the thigh-high TED hose for three weeks. It's summer, they'll be hot, etc. Well, I've been wearing them for 8 days now and after I put them on in the morning I hardly give them a thought. The hospital gave me a little plastic Baggie-type thing with a handle on one end. You put that on over your foot and lower leg. Then you start putting the stocking on and simply pull the handle out the bottom and voila! The stockings are halfway on! The first few days my husband helped, but as of Monday I was on my own. They actually feel rather nice, almost like a leg massage. The weather has been cool, and that's helping, too. Guess I shouldn't have been complaining before I actually had to use them.
 
Has anyone had lower back problems after TKR? For several years I have suffered from low back pain on and off. It's the old "degenerative disc disease" with a couple of disc bulges that flares up now and then. I work in a school and will notice on days that I'm limping more, the back will naturally act up. I've been able to manage the pain with heat, muscle relaxers, massage, etc. I also have the same issues with my cervical spine and deal with it the same way. I have also had a couple of epidural steroid injections and trigger point injections in the cervical spine.

About a week after my surgery, my lower back started giving me fits. Had a touch of sciatica for a few days, but that has gone away. I'm guessing that keeping my leg elevated and doing my exercises has put more of a strain on my lower back. I know I have the old limp going again, but I'm trying to be very conscious of that. I did call my doctor's office last week and was advised to continue the Norco (two every four hours) but that didn't make a bit of difference. The pain has gotten almost unbearable. Hurts to stand and sit. I just want to lay down and curl up in a ball....which I can't because of my knee. It feels good to have heat on it and when I'm in bed. Phoned the doctor's office again yesterday and was prescribed a muscle relaxer, but that hasn't done much yet. In the past I've needed either cortisone shots or the Medrol dose pack...sometimes two back to back. The nurse said they hesitate to prescribe that after surgery, but if it's still bothering me by Friday to call back and they would probably have me contact my GP to prescribe it.

Guess I'm just wondering if this bothers anyone else. I'm at my wits end. My knee is virtually pain free. It's by stupid back that's killing me!
 
I had some lower back pain about two weeks after my surgery. I was sleeping in my recliner because I could not get comfortable in bed. I discussed this with my physical therapist and he suggested some exercises for me to do. I did those exercises along with a heating pad and my back quit hurting. You may want to discuss this with your pt person. Hope it gets better-when your back hurts, you just hurt all over!
 
I will definitely mention to my PT on Friday. I started the muscle relaxers yesterday at noon, and have been trying not to sit much today. That seems to make it worse. Trying to lay on the couch a lot today. So far, not too much better. This is not a first-time occurrence for me as I have had this as a result of my disc problems. Medrol dose pack usually works well, but apparently they don't want to use that after knee replacement. I've also had cortisone shots in both hips, and that has helped. Will they allow that after TKR?? Maybe Josephine will know??
 
I have the same problem. On any given day, my lower back hurts but it hurts more since TKR. I am sitting more than usual, walking favoring the operated side, and sleeping in a new position. It is like my back saying, " hey, don't forget about me"! It does seem that you will need some help with the back to go forward with the Knee recovery. I wonder if your knee OS could ask PT to include back in treatment plan?

B
 
I have had some seepage showing up on bandage along the incision site. PT called doc and he wants his PA to see me today.
 
I made my first car trip to see the PA. Very draining although it was good to put clothes on and go out on such a pretty summer day. PA said he saw no signs of infection. As soon as I got home OS called which is the third time in a week. He wants me to try harder on bending the knee. The thought of that makes me want to cry!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!
Carolina girl, no crying allowed---so that means no forcing your knee to bend. Good grief! you're only a week post op. Just follow the mantra---take your pain meds on a schedule, rest a lot, elevate that leg (toes above nose), and ice, ice, and ice some more. Exercise should be limited to walking from bedroom to bathroom to kitchen to your daytime nesting spot and only gentle easy bending and stretching several times a day. Your knee needs TIME to heal---it has been severely traumatized by the surgery. So have the PATIENCE to give it TIME to let the swelling go down---way down and bending will come naturally.

Your OS means well, but the truth of the matter is that although he replaces knees and does that very well, he know NOTHING about recovery. He, himself, has not been through this. If you follow the mantra for the next couple of weeks, I really believe you'll find starting week four that you can start walking more and increasing your exercises and pushing, but only to discomfort (no pain) your knee a bit more to gain more flex.

You have plenty of time to increase ROM. I am almost 2 years post op and if I wanted to be able to really squat down, I could slowly work on stretching and be able to---however, since this has no appeal for me, I'm happy with what ROM I have and can do all the things I want to do. So try and relax, follow the mantra, and the next time you see your OS, you'll probably have enough bend to make him happy (although it's your happiness that really counts here).

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!
 
Bottomshollow is right! You are only one week out of surgery for cryin' out loud! Glad you at least had a little outing, even though it wasn't a "fun" trip. Also glad there's no sign of infection....just ordinary drainage??
 
Not great, to be honest. Called dr's office again this morning and wonderful nurse Jenny said to increase my anti-inflammatory to three times a day, as well as muscle relaxer and continue the Norco, which I had stopped taking. Thought it was overkill with the muscle relaxer. Therapist this morning said she has another TKR patient with the same problem. She watched me walk, and said my left ip is much higher than the right. Also, at the hospital before administering the epidural, the anesthesiologist said I have scoliosis. All of these things combined certainly add up to low back issues! I am going for a massage on Sunday...to a therapist I have been going to for 4 years, so I hope she can help me! After therapy I went to Starbucks and went through the drive up and got myself a Grande Frappacino! Thought I deserved it after the last few weeks! By the way, pretty decent bm today!! Sure, just when I go back on the Norco, which was probably the cause of all the problems to begin with! Absolutely beautiful day here today...hope to sit outside for a bit. maybe even fire up the Kindle for the first time in three weeks!
 
At P/T my flexion was 112, but extension was -12. No doubt due to the back issues. She gave me some more exercises to do. Hopefully the doctor won't mind too much next Thursday. He wants me to be at 100 and 0 at three weeks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom