Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an epidural with sedation. Didn't see or hear anything after a voice said, "I'm going to put a tourniquet on your leg." Next thing I knew I was in recovery"
 
Wow!-- outpatient surgery! When I had my PKR, my OS mentioned that he was at a surgical conference and this was the topic of The Future of KR's. Much as I liKe Home Sweet Home and my own bed, etc. I have to admit, I don't think I would have wanted to go home that evening! :shocked:

I admit at first I wasn't sure I wanted to do it this way, but I was ready to go and feeling pretty good. Yesterday it was less painful than when I had arthroscopic surgery. Little worse today, but not bad.
 
Though we live on the far North Side (Edgewater Glen), all my husband's hospitals and both of his offices are out south: Advocate Christ in Oak Lawn, Little Co. of Mary in Evergreen Park, and Holy Cross in Marquette Park (the latter recently merged with Mt. Sinai on the near SW side). His offices are in the Midway area and Hickory Hills. It sorta just worked out that way: towards the end of his cardiology fellowship he began moonlighting for the then chairman of cardiology at Holy Cross (who lives in Orland Park) and then became his partner, eventually acquiring the practice. He knows the SW suburbs like the back of his hand, but is lost up here on the North Shore--whereas I'm just the opposite! We're transplants from NYC via Seattle. Go figure.

Our insurance covers Rush for only some services, orthopedic surgery not among them. Back when we had Anchor HMO (since morphed into Wellpoint/Unicare) Rush was its "home" system--the HMO was originally established and owned by Rush. I had my tibial plateau repair done at Rush by Dr Sheinkop of Midwest Orthopedics in '96. When Illinois Bone & Joint was established, it was originally most members of Midwest. Some, including Sheinkop, spun off retaining the Midwest Ortho name. When I needed my R mensicectomy, the IBJI surgeon who'd done my L meniscal repair/ACL debridement had retired from surgery but still practiced orthopedics; his associate who is a sports physician did it. But he does very few TKRs. As luck would have it, I've been in the Chicago Bar Assn. Show since 2002; one of my castmates is married to Dr. Wixson (NOI group) and when she saw me using braces and ice packs at rehearsals and after performances suggested I go see him. I really like his work, though he's "old school" when it comes to recovery (as are most surgeons around here).

Will you be going to outpatient PT? Did you have pre-op PT? I skipped the pre-op PT last year and did my post-op outpatient at ATI because they have free transportation. But they're now out of network, so I pre-opped at Athletico and will go there for outpatient PT. They have parking and will reimburse cab fare if I can't yet drive or get a lift.
 
I was born at Little Company of Mary! I didn't do pre-op because I try to go to the gym every day and have been lots of machines to strengthen my quads, hamstrings, adductors and abductors and the doc said that was good enough. I'll do out-patient p/t the same place I go to the gym. It's affiliated with the local hospital and I've been there before. It's about a mile from home.
 
Good gyms have all the equipment of a PT center and more (certainly more than the PT room of a hospital or reahb center). Little Company has long been known as "the Baby Hospital." Even the nurses at Holy Cross & Christ have their babies at Little Company!

I don't belong to a gym, but Athletico's Andersonville location is five minutes from my home. If I were to join a gym, I'd probably rejoin Galter at Swedish Covenant...which could get awkward if I run into my former OS there!
 
Going to buy lottery tickets so I can go to Rush for my other knee. Of course you still have to do the rehab, but boy, in-and-out? Sweet.
 
Actually since my gym is sponsored by a hospital, they have a separate area that they use for P/T. It has therapists from the hospital as staff. I won't be using the gym part for a while.
 
Going to buy lottery tickets so I can go to Rush for my other knee. Of course you still have to do the rehab, but boy, in-and-out? Sweet.

Yes, the rehab will be the same. Home based for two weeks then out-patient for 4-6 weeks.
 
Mine will be as it was last year: at-home 3-4x/week for 4-6 weeks then 2-3x/week for 4 weeks outpatient (I paid for an extra 2 weeks last year so I'd be in good shape both for the long walks on shore excursions on my Viking River Cruise and for rehearsals for the Bar Assn. show). My insurance will pay for Athletico or Evanston Athletic Club but not a regular gym, even if hospital-affiliated (heck, attached to the hospital) as is Galter Center. I'd like to rejoin Galter (to which I belonged before I broke my leg in '96) when I'm done with Athletico. But it's not easy for Bob & Gordy to reach when they need to work out, so if we join a gym as a family it'll have to be a different one. We have a couple of good independent ones (including one with an old-school pool) within walking distance, but without the amenities of Galter or the pricier Lakeshore or East Bank Club. Meanwhile, we have a good upright bike, treadmill, hand weights and fitness ball & elastic bands at home. (The bike & treadmill are getting plenty of use from Gordy at least twice a day--he dropped all the weight he'd gained when he quit smoking 2 yrs ago and then some).
 
Sounds like I have good insurance. My gym is pricier than places like Charter Fitness, but it's perfect for me. I like to go at 6:30 am during the summer when I'm off school and on weekends. At that time it's mostly people my age and nobody is trying to impress anyone else.
 
Home in 1 day and a shower! WOW!!! I thought you couldn't shower until after the staples were removed/stiches dissolved! You are quite the inspiration!!! Please take it easy and don't over do it so your recovery continues to be easy. Hugs Denise

I think I was able to shower because although there are stitches on the inside, they Superglued the outside. I thought that was crazy, but I know someone who had triple bypass surgery about 5 years ago and he was just glued together, too.
 
OMG! I didn't even go home that quick after knee arthroscopy. No way I could have done that. Good luck in your recovery.
 
My scopes were outpatient, too. Once again, I wonder why there is no consensus on treatment.
 
I'm amazed at how different treatment is around the world. I was in hospital for 5 days . I was constantly being monitored for 24 hrs (and I don't have any underlying problems, completely fit & healthy). I was given antibiotics intravenously a couple of times during that time. On the 3rd day had a blood test to make sure there was no sign of infection; also had an x-ray to make sure all was well with the knee. The duty of care shown toward me after a major operation was amazing and I'm very happy to have had it that way. :puppysmooze:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!
Lovestoread, I have merged your multiple recovery threads. We prefer that you keep everything about your recovery in one thread as we have all your information in one area. This makes it much easier to answer questions or discuss concerns about your situation. Thank you so much for your cooperation.​
​
And [Bonesmart.org] Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already! to the "other side" and the wonderful world of recovery. Follow the BoneSmart mantra for the best possible recovery.​
​
Take care and keep us posted. We care.​
 
Jean, as per discussion about differing approaches to this procedure and subsequent recovery: I asked my surgeon's P.A. about wound clue and he said, "No, we tried that and it didn't work very well." So, they use staples. Amazing, isn't it?
 
Yes,it is amazing. My friend had bypass surgery several years ago and they used the glue on his chest back then. Maybe because my incision is smaller than most??
 
Yes, I think that is the answer---I also have a 3 inch incision and both of mine were glued with absolutely no problems. I was adamant that I did not want staples--but my OS assued me that he never staples any of his incisions. He himself stitches them and then glues the outside. I also showered on day one---I had to get the lodicaine off my leg as it itched.

I think there is a lot of difference in treatment because of tradition. There is almost nothing in the US that would give you a 5 day hospital stay. I went home on day two, I could easily have gone home on the same day, but my doc wanted IV antibiotics. They tried to use the cpm machine in hospital, but I was not in the mood to stay in bed., I had to climb over the stupid thing when I went to the bathroom. Finally a nice nurse, said, here let me get that thing out of your way, you obviously do not need it!!

But, I also go to the gym every day, so am strong. If you get someone who does not exercise, has weak muscles, they cannot lift their leg after surgery.
 
That's probably it then. I know about 6 people that have had it done with the 8-10" incision and all of them were told to wait to shower. Most went ahead and showered anyway by day 10. Seems like the average length of stay around here is 3-4 days. I guess since I walked down the hall to use the bathroom and had gone up and down the stairs and hall, they felt I was ready. I knew going in that if I couldn't pass those tests or if my pain wasn't being controlled, I would be spending the night. Like you, I go to the gym almost daily and have been working hard to build up my quads and hamstrings as well as my upper arm strength.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom