Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posted a picture of my knee (taken yesterday...two days after surgery)) in the picture section. I don't think it looks bad at all. My friends and kids think it looks terrible.
 
I too have been working out almost daily- swimming, sculpting class , yoga and walking. It's been getting harder almost daily on everything except swimming and a couple of weeks ago I decided I was done with Yoga. Any recommendations to make the most of my last 3 weeks? Thank
 
Towards the end I wasn't able to do much even on the recumbent bike. The rowing machine didn't bother my knee, which surprised me. The last few weeks I tried to focus on weight machines that would strengthen my quads, hamstrings, abductors and adductors. I also tried some for upper body, but since I have a couple of bulging discs in my cervical spine I had to be careful not to overdo.
 
Ok, here's a question for the experts. I had my TKR last Tuesday and have had absolutely no appetite since then. I do make sure I eat something when I'm taking my meds, but I'm really forcing myself. This is certainly a new experience for me since I love to eat! I could stand to lose 20 lbs or so, but not this way. I want to be able to keep my strength up. Any suggestions?
 
A lot of people loose their appetite. I wanted to make sure I kept my protein levels up, so here are a few things that I did. I drank a protein drink with 20 grams of protein for breakfast---I think they were from naked Juice.

I kept peanut butter or almond butter and grahamn crackers beside my bed. I would eat two of them whenever I took my meds.

I had my husband buy me some of the little cheese ===Baby Bel--and I would eat one or two of them a day with an apple.

Mostly, the opiods suppress your appetite and it will return when you cut back on them. Until them, I feel it is important to eat well--this is not a good time to loose weight.
 
Thanks for the input. Actually I do eat one of those little cheese's every day, as well as a carton of yogurt. I drink about half of my fruit smoothie (which I used to be able to drink just fine). Guess I'll have to force myself to eat a protein bar now and then during the day. I'll be off the opiads on Tuesday, so that's good to know that they are a contributing factor. I appreciate your suggestions!
 
Hello fellow Chicagoans! I'm up for TKR on July 10 and live in Homewood. (I know just where Orland Park is.) My surgery will be at the James Lovell Federal Health Care Center since my hubby is 100% service connected disabled. They do a lot of TKR's there, and my husband's health care there has been exceptional (they literally saved his life from some former poor VA care in another state, so I feel good about it.) I stand in awe of Lovestoread's remarkable short stay. They told me 2 1/2 days, so I'm hoping to be home Friday or Saturday after the surgery.
 
Welcome! Wow! We do live close to one another. I'm about a block from the mall, so you probably have been pastmy house lots of times! Where is the James Lovell Federal Health Care Center?? I had my surgery at Rush. You must remember I had such a short stay because I had an epidural and quad-sparing surgery. By not having muscles, tendons and ligaments cut I was able to do things a little faster. I will still have just as many weeks of physical therapy as everyone else. Be sure to read all the wonderful information here. I'm so glad I found this site. Ask any question and it will be answered quickly. So much good advice! I'm sure you are at the stage where you are wondering if you really need to have this done. All of us ask ourselves this right before the surgery. Do it and get on with your life. I had read that the pain wasn't bad and I didn't believe it. Guess what? My pain has been managed very well. It is a different type of pain, too. This pain will get better. The old knee pain wasn't going to get better. I liken this pain to how my knee felt after arthroscopic surgery. I can handle it!
 
The Lovell FHCC is north of Chicago at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. It's 70 miles one way, but worth the trip because of the great care given there, and we can get there with no traffic in about 70 minutes on the tri-state. Not bad for Chicagoland! You are so right about questioning the procedure. Two things keep me from cancelling. One - I wussed out on a hysterectomy and opted for drug treatment instead. I wound up having the hystectomy four years later, only this time, it was worse because I had waited. Second - my leg is getting more and more crooked, and I'm afraid of permanent damage. I'm going through with this! Tired of having so much trouble getting up and down, of not trusting my knee since it sometimes gives out with no warning etc. etc. Things I 'm sure so many on this forum have gone through as well.
I was a high school theatre teacher, and a professional actress. At one time in my life, I was a dancer! I'm not going back to teaching, but hoping to get back into acting when all of this is over.
Best of luck of your remarkable recovery. Hope to imitate it!
 
I kind of figured that's where it would be. Believe it or not, I "wussed out" on a hysterectomy six years ago. Finally had it done four years ago. You think we'd learn, right? Our knees will not get better on their own. We are only prolonging the agony and wasting precious time and not living the life we want to live. My legs had become so bowed I didn't want to wear any shorts or anything that would show my knees. I want to be able to wear a shoe that has something other than a totally flat heel, too! I was never a dancer, but I called myself a walker. I walked 4-5 miles a day for 20 years. People would meet me and say, "Oh, you're that lady who walks!" I want to be able to walk and hike in the National Parks again!
 
The National Parks are so great! My husband and I traveled the US in an RV for six years, and were able to visit many of the National Parks. Unfortunately did not hike as he has Charcot's Foot and cannot walk long distances, and of course, my knees give out at a certain point. My favorite NP is Yosemite with Grand Canyon and Yellowstone right behind, but there are so many yet to see.
 
I can't wait to get back to hiking the parks! I have a friend who lives in Estes Park in Rocky Mt. national park and want to get back out there. When our kids were in high school, we hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back out the next day. I figure its good to have a goal in mind for after your recovery. My husband and I are already discussing where to go next summer. (I work in a school and have to vacation in the summer). I'm like a kid in a candy shop....giddy with the possibilities!
 
hi Brithael,
Loves to read is so right...this site is so awesome...my RTKR will be three weeks from today and I imagine I'd be in quite a panic withbout the info and support I've gotten here....and I've certainly had days when my knee is not to bad and I think I'm crazy to be doing this now...but then a day or two later my knee will give me a clear reminder. I used to live in the north Chicagoland area, about 15 miles from Great Lakes NS. Now were in Northern AZ near Grand Canyon. I'd love to get a small motor home and travel the parks for a couple of years after I retire. I look forward to keeping in touch as we both get to the other side this month.
 
I was born at Little Company of Mary! I didn't do pre-op because I try to go to the gym every day and have been lots of machines to strengthen my quads, hamstrings, adductors and abductors and the doc said that was good enough. I'll do out-patient p/t the same place I go to the gym. It's affiliated with the local hospital and I've been there before. It's about a mile from home.

I was born at Little Company too. I have enjoyed reading your posts as they help calm me down; so glad things are going well for you. What the heck hospital did you go to that you got out in one day; how wonderful!!
 
Today was my first day home alone....and I did it! Hubby went back to work, and I was a little nervous about how I'd manage. I even put my TED hose on by myself, worked with my therapist, made myself a little lunch. I have to say that maybe my appetite is making a comeback! I posted yesterday that I've been forcing myself to eat something when I take my meds. This afternoon I think I felt a teeny bit hungry. I've been tapering off my OxyContin, so that may have been the reason for not wanting to eat. Thanks to those who clued me in to that possibility! I was beginning to worry.
 
You are rockin!!! You are really helping me to feel more relaxed and hearing how well you are doing and how quickly you are recovering is Awesome....thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom