Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

@karol723 I'm so glad you're feeling so well-it's always great to hear when others do well! Thanks for your caring words.
I don't know that I'll hear from my OS on Tuesday, just that the cultures hit 3 weeks that day. He may contact me right away or he may take a few days, depending on his schedule.

I took another shower this evening-without a shower chair! It felt soooooo good to get under the water totally this time instead of using the hand held spray. But was I tired after! I also sat outside for a few minutes this evening-only 10 minutes at most, but better than zero minutes. I also ate a little more today-still not more than maybe 500 calories total all day, which isn't enough, I know, but it's coming. I looked at my legs together evenly on my pillows and realized for the first time just how swollen my knee is right now-ugh. I'll attach the picture.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    knee6416.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 216
Sounds like things are coming along for you. I know it's so hard to be patient at this point. Keep icing & elevating for that swelling. I tried to keep my salt intake down too so I wouldn't retain more fluid. Some soups have a ton of sodium in them, just a thought.

Great news about not needing the shower chair. It took !e awhile to accomplish that. I have a really deep tub, it was a job getting out of it, had to get the good leg out, hang onto something and pivot the good leg while trying to lift & drag the surgical leg out, I was pooped the time I got out-but clean !!!

Glad to hear you are able to eat a little more too. Hope that keeps improving every day.
 
Yay! I am going to try a quick trip to the local store-hubby will drive and I'll use a cart. I couldn't fit my longer scar-covering capris the other day to go to my OS appointment, even without the bandages on, (I tried them after I got home again with the bandages removed) but today they fit over my knee easily! The swelling is apparently going down, even though it's still a lot.
 
Made it to the store, bought a few needed things (since I was so prepared pre-surgery, we really need very little). And, since I've been sick for a week and not eating, we are just beginning to use the pre-made meals. Today we're having the BBQ chicken I made for the slow cooker....I actually have some appetite today and it sounds good. Home from the store-but totally tired and ready for a nice nap with my ice machine, but daughter and grandchildren are on their way for a welcome visit so I'll rest later. But I am slowly returning to the land of the living.
 
Good for you, enjoy the BBQ chicken dinner. I'm sure it will be good for you to see your daughter and grandchildren too. Grandkids are the best medicine !!!
 
Thanks, @karol723 Grandchildren are great, I agree. I'll admit to being overtired from a long visit today, though. I think we should have suggested short visits, instead of the usual long visits we usually enjoy, for the time being as I realized I am really weak and need a lot of rest yet. But it was so nice to see the family. I recommend grandchildren therapy in short bursts to remove the post surgery blues, and lift spirits!
 
Looks like I did a bit much yesterday and today am pretty wiped. My stomach is also a bit upset again. So, today and as long as needed I'll start over and go slowly. My knee was pretty painful last night, but I had the ice machine on all night, and today it's sore, but not horribly painful. I am still mystified why I have had zero pain in the Carpal Tunnel wrist this time around, considering the other one was really painful for a long time. But, I am grateful for that.
 
Thank-you, Marian! I just have to realize I'm still recovering from a pretty big surgery, added to that the problems with the meds, so I just need to take it a tad slow. My mind wants to go, but my body says, "NO!".
 
Boy, do I know about the mind saying yes and the knee and leg saying no! Wow, another 2-3 months of this! God will certainly be teaching me patience.
 
I have been craving a Starbuck's caramel frap light for a couple of days. Since I have the ingredients in my house, I just made a mocha frap....yum! I needed that! I can't drive so I am so glad my pre-planning list included my homemade frap ingredients.
 
@sistersinhim No kidding! I am a very impatient person in certain areas, and in other areas I am very patient. My impatience includes sitting around healing while my house collects dust, dirt, etc. I am glad I super cleaned pre-surgery and hubby has done quite a bit of up-keep, but it's not the same as I like it, bless his heart. He does try and I overlook the differences, but I have to admit it is frustrating opening kitchen drawers and having to look for things that are misplaced. I'm a neat freak, and everything in my house has a place, (partly because we have a small home and partly because just I like clean and organized spaces) so it's going to be a bit of a chore when I take over again to get things back where they belong. But he is a big help, so I'll never tell him, I'll just do it...lol.
 
Yes, I know what you mean. Two years ago I bought myself a Roomba that is helping to keep the cat hair down, but it doesn't dust. For my meals I bought a bunch of microwaveable meals and all I have to do is add fruit and veggies. My roommate comes home and puts my meals in, but doesn't fix any veggies to go with it. I try and remind her that we need veggies, but don't want to complain, so I just fix them myself. But, I'm thankful for the help I have! Being alone all the time would have been so much harder.
 
@sistersinhim For my TKR two years ago, we used some homemade pre-made meals, but also some frozen microwave meals from the store, some from one of those food truck companies and some fast food. We both decided this time none of those choices were for us, other than the homemade frozen meals, especially considering neither of us really liked any of the outside meals that were pre-made and bought frozen. They truly were mostly pretty bad, even the fast foods, and so full of unhealthy ingredients! So this time I made more than a month's worth to make sure I am fed good healthy food while recovering. Not to mention the cost factor-I can't believe how expensive it was for all those other options! I made meals we like that freeze well, froze them with complete instructions attached, and made lists on the freezer doors to keep track of what we have inside. Overly organized? Yes, but so worth it! I am happy for you that you're not alone-I think that would be so much harder after a major surgery!
 
I can't remember if I have recommended this before as something I suggest you add to your list of useful items for after surgery, so am going to do so now. I bought a mug (kind of like a thermos) that keeps drinks cold or hot for hours and hours. I hate lukewarm, tepid drinks so bought this to keep them the correct temperature. I was amazed at how well this particular one works. Just for fun I placed both hot and cold drinks (at different times) in it for a couple of days and to my utter shock the drinks were still quite hot and/or cold 48 hours later! I don't recommend doing that, just that I did it to see how it did. Anyway, this has been invaluable the last 3 weeks (I've had it for a while, and love it, but after surgery it's been even more useful) and is something I suggest you buy if you like your drinks to stay at a good temp until you finish them, and not risk getting all kinds of flotsam and jetsom in them. It's also quite easy to drink directly from it so you don't need a glass. It doesn't leak at all, and locks closed if you need to, and it's easy to transport in your walker without spiiling a drop. It's a Zojirushi Stainless Steeel Mug, and the link is.....

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-SA60-RW-Stainless-Steel-20-Ounce/dp/B00HYOGUOA?tag=ate362da-20

I also recommend the 20 ounce size rather than the smaller.
 
I have to admit, I'm envious of your freezer space :snork:. I don't have any room for a bunch of meals, will have to get creative. We don't eat fast food or take-out very often, so pre-making meals is brilliant.

I do absolutely hear you on being organized—makes life so much easier.
 
@LoveGiants I am very grateful to have two full size upright freezers and two refrigerator freezers. Because we have a huge garden every year, I really need the space. As a matter of fact, I am considering a third full size freezer to use for part of the summer into late fall when I begin to use a lot of the frozen bounty as I am getting very full each year. I like to also buy on sale in bulk for year round use of meats, etc, and my freezers tend to get too full at times. I have some of my children in the area and I do like to share, so may freeze more each year if they'd like me to for them also. What I don't dehydrate, I freeze. I quit canning years ago-it's too dang hot here in the summer, it's too much work and I really prefer frozen over canned veggies anyway. I freeze a ton of fruits, vegetables and sauces, etc., in vacuum seal bags every summer; luckily at this time of year most of last summer's produce is just a memory so I had lots of space for pre-made meals, although most of the containers fit on one shelf with just a few things needing to go elsewhere.

If you have a freezer at all, even just a refrigerator freezer, you can fit a lot of pre-made meals in it if you use small foil pans and vacuum seal bags; if you have a vacuum machine or can borrow one. I recommend you thoroughly label every container with the name of the contents, full cooking instructions, full defrosting instructions, etc. I have a husband who only cooks eggs and pancakes, so I made sure he didn't need to think at all, just follow directions on when to take out of freezer, how to heat, etc. The hardest thing he had to do was grate some cheese for the top of the pasta casserole....and even he can do that....lol. I used the vacuum seal bags for things he just needs to dump in the crock pot and the foil pans for casseroles, pastas, enchiladas, stuffed peppers etc, that need to go in the oven.
 
Ugh, my OS just e-mailed me in response to my asking him when I can drive, that I need to wait 6 weeks to drive. I don't think that's going to happen as I am about a week from when I think I'll be able to drive, at least short trips to the store, library, etc. I haven't taken any narcotic pain meds in over a week and as soon as my strength is fairly back, I'm going to be raring to go. He had also told me to transition from walker to cane at 4 weeks but that has already happened as the walker is more dangerous on my carpets and my knee does well with a cane. I did let him know both these things so we shall see what he has to say. If he really wants me to wait to drive, I will, but it'll be extremely difficult.
 
I just got in the car and drove after two and half months. My bf is just three blocks away, so I drove to her house. Then when I drove to PT and announced this they asked who gave the OK.
 
We have a side-by-side counter-depth fridge—small and just enough space for Costco. But when the time comes, I'll figure it out. I'm looking forward to a real garden someday! My sweet husband surprised me with a small raised bed garden planter (from Green Acres—what a fun place!) and I'm growing some herbs. Baby steps .

I'm glad you're feeling better!
 
Back
Top Bottom