Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Hi all. I'm still really ill from the meds. Had to go to my OS app't this afternoon. Had to be wheeled in and almost passed out in the waiting room. He says knee looks good, hand scar had stitches removed and I can shower when I'm feeling better. I'm kind of glad he saw first hand what happens to me with pain meds....he was surprised at how ill I am.
 
I'm glad your surgeon saw how ill you are, but I'm really sorry you're still feeling dreadful. :console2:
 
Did he make any changes to meds to help you out? I hope you feel better soon.
 
Oh my I do hope you will feel better quickly. It's horrible when meds that are supposed to help end up hurting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
no med changes as I can't even keep food down yet so am not taking anything at all. I hope to take motrin and tylenol tomorrow but the pain isn't horrible so I'm okay for now. Thanks everyone.
 
Just be careful as motrin(ibuprofen) can be tough on a stomach that hadn't been too happy lately.
 
I can empathise with how you are feeling Kim. I hope and pray you will start to feel better before too long.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Thank-you all. I'm still fighting to feel better. Today I finally ate some broth with rice-first food since Saturday I think.
 
I managed to eat and keep down some tomato rice soup tonight. Hubby has been home all week but is going to work tomorrow so I'll be on my own. Daughter will help on Friday, so I just need to make it through the day tomorrow. I can't go through this again, the pain meds were working and I thought I was going to be okay until all heck broke loose on Sunday. OS is making new notes in my chart regarding the Dilaudid. But basically I have nothing left to take for pain long term if ever I need it more than a few days as it builds up in my system and does me in. Now I need to feed my starving body and get some strength back as I barely have enough to walk into the bathroom or kitchen. I start shaking and have to go back and rest. Tomorrow will be difficult but I am bound to do it.
 
I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time.They don't call these the 'dark days' for nothing, and not being able to tolerate pain meds that work makes it so much more difficult. It's good that you managed to eat something, I just lived on soup and bananas in the early days. I will be thinking about you tomorrow and hope it will not be as bad as you anticipate.
Sending love and hugs,
Tabby xxx
 
Today is the first day I've been home on my own since I came home from the hospital. I managed to heat and eat some soup and saltines. It took a lot of energy to do it, but I did it. I also managed to get frozen water bottles into my walker carry pouch for my ice machine. Later today I'm going to take my first shower since surgery-that will be wonderful. Right now I'm resting from the few things I did.
 
Kim, please don't shower until there is someone in the house with you, so you can call on them if you need help.
 
Glad to hear you're getting by but I ditto Celles remarks on the shower. I empathize with you on the nausea with pain meds. Take care and rest easy.
 
I had my first shower in over two weeks! It was short, and sitting down, but I was so tired of sponge baths. I finally feel clean again. I had a quiet day alone, and made it through unscathed. I actually put some clothes in the washer and folded a few things hubby had previously washed. I made myself an easy lunch and changed the frozen water bottles in my ice machine. It was nothing like a normal day as those few things took me all day and took all my energy, but I did it! I have a long ways to go to be myself again, but I am finally on that road. Thanks to all for all your advice, support and care! I am so grateful for this site!
 
I ate my first actual meal since the whole pain med reaction. It wasn't much, just some pasta and a vegetable. But it was finally some food other than rice soup and saltines which is basically all I've eaten in days until tonight. I need to start eating in order to get my strength back. I'm totally lacking energy....today I folded some laundry while sitting and I also unloaded the dishwasher after running it. I also put the pasta casserole in the oven so it was done when hubby came home. Those few things wore me out and took a while. Something that normally takes 2 minutes took a while and took every ounce of strength I had. Now I need to start eating 3 meals a day and soon I'll be my old self. Luckily, I have no pain in my hand and haven't this whole time, which is surprising since the other one when done last October was hurting a lot for quite a while. My knee has a little pain, but it's manageable with the ice machine as I'm trying not to take any pain meds at all; at least until my eating is back to normal and my stomach is recovered totally. This has been an awful ordeal, but I think I'm finally on the mend, albeit slowly.

I also finished home PT on Monday I think it was, even though I didn't do too much that day. But my ROM was okay and I think I may skip outpatient PT this time around also as I don't think I need it even though my OS says I can have it if I want.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you do have an infection you're body is working hard to fight it as well as heal from the surgery. So doing anything is going to tucker you out. My OS wanted me on a high protein diet to help the tissue heal. So I ate eggs and sausage for breakfast, a burger pattie fir lunch, pasta with lots of meat sauce etc to include lots of protein.
 
So sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time. Sounds like things are finally improving. Its so hard when you can't keep enough food down ( or in!) . Makes it so difficult to regain you strength. I luckily was able to take Tramadol. My stomach problems came when trying to get off of them !!! I will make 6 months this week and finally starting to feel almost normal again. Hang on, better days are comimg for you. Good to hear your arm is doing well too. That first shower always feels spool good ! Keeping fingers crossed for good news on Tuesday.
 
Back
Top Bottom