Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I understand why you’re sad to see your OS retire; he has put a lot of himself into helping you. If only all doctors cared so much!

Sounds like you’re making progress and that is terrific. After everything you’ve gone through ... I am in awe of your strength and your positive attitude. I pray that your healing continues and perhaps, one day, you will find a reason for the swelling and be able to get back some of the things you’ve had to give up. In the meantime, thank you for sharing so much of yourself on this site. You make a real difference to so many of us!
 
I had my 6 week check this morning. I'm doing well, and after I walked for him, he said you can't even tell by my walk which leg is the surgical leg. That's a great comment! I am walking with a good gait, no limp and am walking faster than I have in years. I actually drove myself to and from the appointment (a 45 minute drive each way)-that has been something I've been unable to do for a very long time. To top it off, after my app't I did some shopping! It's also been a very long time since I went into a clothing store, shopped for clothes, tried on and bought them! On the way back to my car, my knee/leg was noticeably tired, and I noticed I did limp a bit on the way. But I was fine to drive home, and am fine now, other than being tired.

We had a nice chat about a bunch of stuff unrelated to my leg, he told me our granddaughter was in great hands as her doctor is one of the best around for her problem. It's apparently a fairly common problem, and her doctor has done a ton of these surgeries. He gave me his recommendation for a doctor if ever I need one, I gave him a gift, thanked him for all he's done, hugged him and left. I'm sad that he will no longer be my doctor, but so very glad I had the privilege of having him as my doctor for the last 18-plus years.
 
What a wonderful post, Kim. After so many years of pain, you are finally seeing the end of it!
 
Glad you got such a good report, Kim! And I can understand why you’re sad to lose this doctor - he seems like a wonderful physician and a truly lovely man.
 
Kim, so happy to read your recent update. It took bravery to go for that extensive revision and now, bless your heart, it is starting to pay off. Congratulations.
:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
 
Kim,
What a wonderful update! I feel your gratitude and that sense of elation in getting back to life. I was just typing here on the forum to someone the other day about that high that goes along with being able to do simple things in life again, things that we took for granted on a daily basis as our deteriorating joint held us back. Like painlessly getting in and out of a car, driving for a length of time without squirming in discomfort. Leisurely shopping and trying on clothes because…you can!

It sounds like your surgeon is very pleased with your progress and that’s always uplifting also. I’m sure saying goodbye to him was bittersweet. He’s been a big part of your life. Eighteen plus years is a long time. Thanks for sharing such an encouraging update. Well deserved and long overdue!
@lovetocookandsew
 
painlessly getting in and out of a car
Unfortunately, due to the continued swelling, I haven't achieved the luxury of painlessly, or easily, getting in and out of a car, and it's unlikely I ever will. But, other than ROM issues, and limits on some activities, I can function well enough. Just being free of that awful pain, other than some incision pain that is fading, plus the tibial issue, which the doctor is hoping will also fade with time, is so wonderful that I'm not going to complain.
 
I gave him a gift, thanked him for all he's done, hugged him and left
I love this! I have to remember to give my doctor a gift. I know I've paid him a ton and very likely put one of his offspring through college but the idea that he is largely responsible for helping me regain my life is important to commemorate.
 
@beachy Welcome back! So sorry you have to go through it again, but having a matched set of good functioning knees is a blessing, so you'll be glad when it's done. Thanks for stopping by, and I'll be watching for your posts as you travel the TKR road once again.
 
Anyone have a good idea for that ”Thank you, Doctor” gift? I love the idea of giving one!
 
Anyone have a good idea for that ”Thank you, Doctor” gift?
I know my doctor a little better than most, plus his staff will mention things about him from time to time. With all that in mind, I bought something along the lines of his particular interests, plus wrapped the gift in paper that had fishing flies on it. I know he wants to learn to fly fish so the paper was perfect. If you don't know anything about his interests, then maybe ask some of his staff for what he may like. Failing that, you can always write him a nice thank-you note. I know from experience that doctors love when we take time to write a personal note. I gave mine a card on the gift, along with a longer note tucked in the gift box that I wrote, detailing some of what we've been through and thanking him for his excellent care. I thought about having a nice plaque made for him, but went in a different direction. I think that just knowing they're appreciated is thanks enough, so IMHO, a nice note is a great gift.
 
@CamGram I made the mistake of giving a gift to early to my surgeon, I gave him a large jar of natural honey from our bees in the North. However, after his last egocentric comment, and lack of understanding to my situation, I wholly regret having given him a gift, I doubt it will make him sweeter :rotfl:
However you can rarely go wrong with a homemade gift or just a simple Thank you card, the majority of surgeons are appreciative, sadly mine wasn't and deserved a boot in the posterior instead :heehee:

Kim I'm so happy for you, its been such a long ongoing battle and you truly deserve a break and normality back in your life, its so uplifting to see that you are driving & shopping with little pain and I sincerely hope this continues for you xxx
 
I realized this morning, after thinking about it, that I have really not been pain-free since the day I injured my knee, which, as far as I can tell, was around 2003 or 2004, but don't quote me on that date-I really don't remember exactly when it was. After my original TKR, I started having issues not too far into recovery. I think I did have some time there where things were going well before they took a turn for the worse.

I continued in pain, eventually needing the revision. After that, I started having the tip pain in both my femur and my tibia, which is why I eventually had the surgery to place the graft and the metal, etc. I don't remember if there was any time where I was pain free after that as at some point the metal started causing issues, which meant more pain.

This is now the first time I can remember not being in any significant pain in a very long time. Yes, the tibia area is an issue, but I can take Ibuprofen when needed, and that will cover much of that. For the most part, I am no longer in pain, and for that I am extremely grateful. I'm walking without a limp, other than a little one at the end of the day sometimes, or after a lot of walking, but that will resolve with time. I'm walking with a normal gait, and I'm once again walking around quickly. I always walked fast, to the point where some people told me to slow down so they could keep up, but haven't walked that way in years. Granted, I'm not as fast now as when I was young, but I am walking much more quickly.

My doctor nailed it (as usual...lol..) when he told me it'd be about six weeks for this recovery. It was six weeks exactly when I saw him on Tuesday, and I consider myself to be recovered from the recent surgery. And, actually, I also consider myself FINALLY recovered from the surgery 15 months ago.

My knee, and the surrounding area, is still quite swollen, but that is an issue that will likely remain forever, unfortunately. But if that's the only issue I have, I can deal with it.
 
@CamGram After my THR, which my OS said scared him more than any he had ever done, I wanted to give him something symbolic. Because he gave me back my mobility, I chose to purchase a prosthetic leg in his name through COPE, an organization in Laos that helps ongoing victims of bomblets dropped during the Vietnam war. It’s hard to know what to get someone when you don’t know what they enjoy.
 
Oh, @Vida, I love that idea! The fact that my hubs is a Viet Nam era vet makes it doubly special to me. I will definitely look into something like that! You all had interesting and creative ideas. Thanks to everyone for responding.
 
Kim,
It is wonderful to hear you are finally mostly pain free and have your mobility back. :walking:
Happy to hear your surgeon highly recommend your granddaughters surgeon. It must give you peace of mind to know she is in good hands.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom