Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I made it through surgery. Due to the fact that I don't have my laptop yet I'm having to use my phone... Grrrrrr..... I'll give details later: I'm not doing badly but not great either. No veins to be had so a PICC line has been ordered. There's more but I'll catch up later on.
 
Hi @lovetocookandsew - and :welome: to recovery again.

I'm glad your surgery is done. I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Here's your copy of the recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Well hello there, :wave:
Great news you’re surgery is over, Kim.
I hope you’re able to rest comfortably.
Safe travels home once you’re discharged. :)
 
My care is excellent!!!!!!! From the nursing staff, to the doctors, to the rest of the staff, all are amazing! So far today I've had 5 IVs redone as they all kept blowing, thus needing replacement. Finally, instead of a 6th, they had some kind of tech come in a do a DOPPLAR IV, which is working.
Today also, they just took out the epidural from surgery and did a different type for longer term placement. They''ll check it on Monday, and replace it then, or in one more day, with the pain ball which won't work on the lower site, so we'll see what it does and if it's enough. Pain is totally controlled, no after effects as I had a spinal. I am a little spacey right now from whatever they gave me before the epidural they just gave me.

Yesterday, they got me onto the operating table, only to find it wouldn't work then tried to get it to work to no avail, so had to push it out of the room and bring in another. With the delays, he didn't start on my 2:50 surgery until 5pm. My husband said the surgery start to finish was 2 hours.

I was okay when waking except for whole body shaking, which they gave me something to stop them. ICU is full so they're planning to move someone out and move me in.
 
This new epidural isn't working as well as it should-my pain is a solid 5 now and 8 when I move around at all. My nurse has called the doctor to raise the drip.
 
I have a question I hope is not to “stupid”— with the epidural- does that take away all feeling - where you’re unable then to move?
im very happy to hear that despite ICU being full they have a trained ICU nurse to take care of you. I’m sorry that your pains been so high.
 
Provided it's done correctly epidural are great!! On the plus side your completely numb from waist down which is great ( it really helps with pain management ) on the negative side they only last approx. 24 hrs give or take as it wears off pain comes back. Having had epidurals and locals I prefer the epidural.
 
on the negative side they only last approx. 24 hrs

Actually, the epidural I have lasts until they remove it. Maybe you're thinking of a nerve block.

with the epidural- does that take away all feeling - where you’re unable then to move?
The kind I have can be turned up or down to allow walking. They will be trying to balance pain relief wih walking around.
 
My mistake your right I goofed!!
If you do not have them instead of the std crutches that go under the arms, the forearm are much easier to use. I have these since my 2nd or 3rd TKR
 
:wave:How are you feeling today, hope you are getting the correct amount of pain relief xxx
 
Just thinking about you- hoping they got the epidural dosed right so your pain can be better controlled.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom