• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Walking is getting to be almost impossible much of the time. Sunday the pain was really bad but I had to get some groceries after not cooking or shopping lately due to the move, and was forced to use an electric store cart. Yesterday morning was even worse; I couldn't walk at all unless both hands were holding surfaces and it was still excruciatingly painful. Finally, in total frustration, I sat on my bed, stretched out my leg, bounced it and pushed down on it with my hands. After a while of doing that I tried walking again. I could sort of walk; the pain was still bad but it wasn't excruciating as it had been. It's like the post was stuck against the bone, and I had somehow jarred it loose. I know that's not really possible-it just felt that way.

For a while I was able to walk, albeit in some pain; then a sudden sharp pain stabbed me and I couldn't walk without support again. This keeps happening-I'm walking, but in some pain, then all of a sudden a sharp stabbing pain hits and I can't walk due to excruciating pain, then it eventually lessens enough to allow me to walk, but it's still painful, then the sharp pain hits again, and so on. I'm officially sick of this knee/leg!

Today was a little easier to walk-even though it still hurts a lot with each step it wasn't the excruciating pain. I messaged my OS about all this and he knows something has to be done, but is concerned about my post-op issues. He said If my post op care wasn't so challenging for me, he would try the bone grafts, but since it's such a major issue, he wants to be sure whatever we do next will solve the problem (don't ask me for details as I'm clueless about the procedure he's talking about). But I think we both realize I'm at my limit with this knee/leg and we are going to have to do something since it's obviously not getting better.

He told me some time ago (when I first asked him about this pain shortly after the revision) that only some minuscule percentage of people have the problem with their bones not remodeling; I think it was less than 1%. And naturally, my crazy body looks to be in that teeny percentage.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Attachments

Cementless

senior
Country
@lovetocookandsew, I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I'm beginning to think something is wrong with my revision too, like a loose patella button. I see my internist this coming Friday and I am going to ask her to order me a CT scan to see what is going on. These doctors make me sick that they can't get things right the first time.....beginning to feel like a guinea pig!!!

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
This problem has nothing to do with my OS "getting it wrong". and everything to do with my body not healing properly. Bone usually fills in as it heals-but for some reason my bone is not doing what it should, so I am still having problems. Hopefully your scan either shows all is well, or if you do have a problem, it shows what the problem is.

sistersinhim

Country
Kim, what a terrible thing you are going through. Hopefully, you can get some rest and let that knee settle down.

I'm sure you've tried all kind of things to help the bone to grow. When I broke my foot/ankle I googled bone healing. Amazon has all kinds of products, and I bought two different things. Whether they helped or now, who knows? But, I did heal.

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@sistersinhim I recently broke my toe and it healed as expected. This is different-the bone doesn't have to just knit back together, it has to grow new bone to fill in the space created when he drilled it to put the looooong posts in. And that isn't happening. I am taking it easy, and we even relaxed in the hot tub last night.......:bath: This morning my upper post area is really painful. I managed to walk as it's not the excruciating pain, but it's pretty darn painful. Even the lower post area really hurts, whereas originally it just ached but I could deal with it. Granted, it's not as bad as the upper pain, but adds to it so the entire thing is unbearable at best and agonizing at worst.

eaglemom

senior
Country
A hot tub thought. My OS said I could get in the hot tub at 7 weeks - with the following requirements. The temp isn't above 95, your not letting any jet directly hit the front of the knee or the back, no more than 15 to 20 minutes and once your out of the hot tub and your body is back to room temperature - elevate and ice. The heat feels good but adds to swelling.

Just tossing that out there. Of course each one of us is different. I've wanted to get in our hot tub, but I've not mustered up the courage yet. I figure by the time its time to get out I might need the jaws of life to help me out!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Maybe later on today.........

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@eaglemom You do realize my revision was 1 1/2 years ago, right? :) :-) (:But, thanks for the thought. The swelling in my knee doesn't change so a hot tub won't hurt it at this point. We would have stayed in longer, but they kicked us out so they could close it up for the night. :bawl:In the future we'll get in earlier. I was going to hit the pool today, but my suit is still wet and walking to the pool in a wet, cold clammy suit in the rain somehow doesn't appeal to me. I bought another one online so as soon as it arrives I can rotate them so I can walk the pool by day and soak in the hot tub by night. It won't help the pain or swelling, but it'll alleviate the boredom. I'm so bored I'm watching an NCIS marathon. :heehee:

eaglemom

senior
Country
You are right, I didn't look back to see how long it had been since your revision. However, from my first several revisions I was still swollen at the year and a half point. We are all so different, but yet the same.

Glad you ordered another swimming suit. It is awful trying to wiggle your way into a damp suit!!!

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Some time ago I gave my nifty folding cane to a friend who needed one as I wasn't using it. I hate to give in to it, but I am (again.....grrrrrrrrrrrr) at a point where I really have to swallow my pride and admit to needing one. I hate the very thought of a cane, but I hate the pain of walking without support even more, so tonight I broke down and ordered a new one................:sigh: The catalyst was falling today as I turned the corner around my bed, was hit by a sharp stabbing pain that made my knee buckle, and I fell. Luckily, I fell onto the bed so no harm, no foul. It would not have been a good thing if I had fallen onto the hardwood floor as that may have done some damage. But, for a long while after that, I couldn't walk again as the pain wouldn't stop. Thankfully, it eventually settled down enough for me to walk around and fix dinner. Tonight it still hurts with every step, but I am walking again.

Attachments

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Kim.. I am so sorry to read about your recent problems and pain with your knee. Pain with each step sounds horrible. At least you will have the pool and hot tub to keep yourself somewhat active.
hugs..

sistersinhim

Country
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry you are having these problems. You are a huge help to others while going through what are you going through. What a giver you are and a blessing to Bonesmart members!

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I've been having an ongoing discussion with my OS lately via email. I had told him since the pain isn't getting better, and is actually getting worse, I'm ready to address the problem. I also told him that since I'm basically in a place for the next couple of months with almost nothing to do, if the fix can be recovered from so I'm able to move when our house is ready in Feb, this may be a good time to do it. If not, I'll have to wait.

Today he told me that he's going to discuss my case with his team, and then he'll get back to me. I don't know what the repair entails, but if I can fully recover in time to move I think I'm going to let him do it if he thinks it's the best way to proceed. But he will have to detail the entire thing for me first, and I'm sure he knows that, considering it's me and I always want details........ Whenever I'm in his office he tells me to pull out my list of questions as he knows I always have one....:heehee:

My cane is due to arrive tomorrow-I hated to swallow my pride and buy one, but it's become necessary in order to walk a lot of the time now. I'm really frustrated with the whole thing, and it's pushed me into a decision to get this thing fixed asap. Am I happy about it? NO! But I am even more unhappy living with this pain, so I have to do whatever I can to fully take my life back. If it weren't for the post pain, I'd be doing really well, other than the limits the swelling puts on my life, but that doesn't cause too much pain and I can live with it. I can't live with the post pain though, so it's time to fix that.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I’m so sorry. :console2:

With less to do the next couple of months you won’t feel guilty taking care of yourself, but 2 months isn’t very long for a full recovery, considering how much has been done in your leg so far, and we all know how much is involved in moving into a new house. But waiting several months isn’t good, either.

I hope you bought a pretty cane. That’s what I’m going to do when my eventual revision comes around.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
davidmcc
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom