lovetocookandsew
Former BoneSmart Staff Member
- Joined
- Aug 9, 2013
- Messages
- 6,176
- Age
- 70
- Location
- Northern California
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
@Jamie @Pumpkln I have a question sort of relating to my Aesculap knee implant, so thought I'd ask it and see if either of you (or anyone else) can answer it. I should have asked my OS, but keep forgetting, although I may need to if no one has an answer. I know my knee is nickel free-or doesn't leach nickel-I forget exactly how it works, but I keep wondering what metal(s)the long rods are made from. I realize there may be various types and so differ depending on which ones the surgeon chose, or it may be that the rods have to fit the exact knee implant so are also nickel free, or maybe they're titanium, and so on. But I have been wondering, so thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had any knowledge or ideas on the subject.
I asked my OS the other day if he noticed any more remodeling of the bone on my new x-ray since the previous set showed little to none, (I forgot to ask him the day I had the recent x-rays done) and he said there was a "Slight increase density around the stems", which, while better than no increase at all, tells me my bone is not in any hurry to mature, so I can't help but wonder why. I've wondered if it's because my bone doesn't like the rods, or if it's my particular anatomy, which is always contrary, or what. I know some people get the same stem tip pain I have, but only for a short time until their bone fills in, but my bone is not really filling in, and the pain is not going away, and is actually gradually increasing around the bottom stem.
I don't get the unexpected sharp stabbing pains in the lower post that I get in the upper post, it's more of an ache in the lower that is getting stronger with time, but I still get the awful stabbing jolts of pain with certain movement on the upper post area, plus it still hurts around both post areas when I walk more than a short distance, stand for longer periods, try to walk up stairs, and so on. The recent bone scan did show that both stems are irritating the inside of the bone, which shouldn't still be happening, as the bone should have filled in, remodeled or matured by now, whichever phrase is the more correct one...lol. It's a puzzle to me (and maybe to my doctor also) as to why the bone isn't really maturing, and why I still have so much swelling in my knee and leg. Plus, lately I am actually getting pain in the knee area itself, which I hadn't been getting before. My OS thinks that the pain fibers are amplified in my whole leg and the chronic swelling isn't helping, and that's why my actual knee area has been hurting lately.
I know I've been on it a lot more without taking as many breaks to rest and elevate it between tasks due to how busy I've been with selling the house, etc, so maybe that's the simple explanation. But I would think at 16 months I wouldn't really be thinking about my knee and needing to rest it so much during the day, so that's annoying, to say the least.
I asked my OS the other day if he noticed any more remodeling of the bone on my new x-ray since the previous set showed little to none, (I forgot to ask him the day I had the recent x-rays done) and he said there was a "Slight increase density around the stems", which, while better than no increase at all, tells me my bone is not in any hurry to mature, so I can't help but wonder why. I've wondered if it's because my bone doesn't like the rods, or if it's my particular anatomy, which is always contrary, or what. I know some people get the same stem tip pain I have, but only for a short time until their bone fills in, but my bone is not really filling in, and the pain is not going away, and is actually gradually increasing around the bottom stem.
I don't get the unexpected sharp stabbing pains in the lower post that I get in the upper post, it's more of an ache in the lower that is getting stronger with time, but I still get the awful stabbing jolts of pain with certain movement on the upper post area, plus it still hurts around both post areas when I walk more than a short distance, stand for longer periods, try to walk up stairs, and so on. The recent bone scan did show that both stems are irritating the inside of the bone, which shouldn't still be happening, as the bone should have filled in, remodeled or matured by now, whichever phrase is the more correct one...lol. It's a puzzle to me (and maybe to my doctor also) as to why the bone isn't really maturing, and why I still have so much swelling in my knee and leg. Plus, lately I am actually getting pain in the knee area itself, which I hadn't been getting before. My OS thinks that the pain fibers are amplified in my whole leg and the chronic swelling isn't helping, and that's why my actual knee area has been hurting lately.
I know I've been on it a lot more without taking as many breaks to rest and elevate it between tasks due to how busy I've been with selling the house, etc, so maybe that's the simple explanation. But I would think at 16 months I wouldn't really be thinking about my knee and needing to rest it so much during the day, so that's annoying, to say the least.

It's just tissues or whatever's in there that's already irritated by all the swelling, it's not the knee implant at all. But it is aching, so now I have that to contend with as well. I'm sure it'll settle down in the next day or so, but until then I just need to carry on. We're in the final couple of days of our first of two moves, so I can soon get off it and rest. 