Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I'm sorry the explanation for the zingers isn't a simple one. But I'm glad that your OS is getting on top of things. :console2:
 
Thanks, Kneeper. I wish I had answers as the zingers are a real pain at times, but even if we knew the cause, it doesn't mean the problem could be fixed, so I'm just hoping they stop eventually.

My bone scan had to be delayed a bit since the hospital I use is down one machine; a new one is on order, but until then they're a bit behind, so my scan is scheduled for Oct. 1st instead of right away. I could have chosen to go to a different facility, but decided to wait the extra days as 10 days isn't a terribly long time anyway.
 
I had my bone scan, and according to my OS, the result was "Scan is as expected. Increased uptake along tibial stem and tip of femoral stem". I have no clue what that means, and have replied to his message by telling him I don't know what that means. I'm sure he'll get back to me asap with an explanation, so I know what the heck the result was......:chinstroke:
 
Sending best wishes for good news!
 
I googled it and it was all Greek to me! I hope it's nothing that's out of the ordinary. Are you still experiencing excessive swelling?
 
Lovetocookandsew,
Hope you get a positive report from your surgeon when you speak with him.
 
@sistersinhim Yes, I still have so much swelling that I can only reach about 90 degrees bend, although my extension is great. It may be a normal report-I have no clue so will wait for an explanation from my OS. I was hoping that with all this weight loss my swelling would reduce, but all I've lost is weight; my right knee circumference is still 2", and sometimes more, larger than the left.....grrrrrrrr.
Thanks, Chris!
 
I wish I knew something else I could suggest that would help you, but I'm at a loss. I'll continue to pray for you.
 
@lovetocookandsew I also had a high uptake in my bone scan . Also meaning a lot of activity . A lot of activity is a sign of loosening and inflammation. I am almost 2 years po revision. Monday they will be scheduling me for another surgery . Best of luck !
 
@patsortho I'm sorry to hear you're having so many issues. What exactly are you having done this time? I don't think it's a sign of loosening as it's in the long post areas; but I also don't know if it's normal or not. I am pretty sure the bone isn't remodeling around the posts, but what that all means is a mystery to me. I'm also pretty sure my OS is thinking surgery to fix something, so we shall see if he still thinks that after seeing the scan.

Thanks, @sistersinhim I can use all the prayers I can get.
 
I am so sorry your looking at another surgery. You have been through so much already but I'm glad you have such a thorough OS. :console2:
 
@Txmomgmom3 Nice to hear from you again. I'm not sure that I'll need another surgery-but it seems like a possibility. But until I hear back from my OS with an actual explanation in non-doctor-ese, I won't know. I'm glad I have such a thorough OS also. Have I mentioned I love my OS? :heehee: Thanks for you kind words and I'll be posting his reply when I get it.
 
Have I mentioned I love my OS? :heehee:
I liked my surgeon a lot until after the surgery and he pushed my knee to a painful place at every appointment. And after I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op I realized he was telling me to do things Bonesmart said not to. I won’t be seeing him again. My one year check up was the last time I saw him.
 
My OS has operated on me many times; not only my knee but my ankle and both wrists for carpal tunnel. My ankle is perfect, and my carpal tunnel is gone. He's never pushed or pulled my knee nor does he ever measure my ROM or hold me to some random number. He has me straighten and bend it myself as he eyeballs my ROM, and when he does handle my leg to examine it he has never caused any strain or pain.

He's been my OS for many, many years now (except for a short time frame when I switched doctors due to his extremely busy schedule where it was nearly impossible to get in to see him, but went back to him because I really need his expertise, and he seems to have lightened his schedule), I only see him-not his PAs or assistants, which I love. He is not only a dedicated doctor who cares a lot for his patients, he's well-loved and highly respected by all his colleagues and everyone else I run across when getting tests, while in the hospital, etc.

And, he puts up with me when I know I have to drive him bonkers at times. Now that's amazing! lol
 
I heard back from my OS today, and after multiple messages back and forth I have a little better idea of what's going on. He said, "Scans show bone activity along tibial stem and tip of femur stem. Suggests stems are irritating the inside of the bone". It’s another major surgery to fix the problem, and he thinks the best course is waiting for now, as he’s hoping the bone will mature and the pain will improve with time. I agree totally, and told him I also favor waiting, but at some point, if nothing improves, I will have to make a decision about the quality of life I still want to have.

He wants to see me again to revisit everything in 6 months, so we shall see....... He also thinks the swelling is unrelated to this issue, so apparently I have two separate ongoing problems. They've measured me for a hip length compression stocking which should be in soon. He thinks it will help, so I'm hopeful it will help reduce at least some of the swelling.
 
I pray your bone will mature and fill in those places and makes your implant immobile. Your OS sounds like he's a really good one and is happy to wait and see things improve before pushing surgery!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom