Guest viewing is limited

TKR Loosening of implant.

I’m taking 300 mgs of Gabapentin. It’s been absolutely useless.

Sorry, I meant I had 129 flexion and 0 degrees extension.
 
I don’t know how to write a new post, so I’m asking my question in this “reply box.” Has anyone experienced a grinding sensation when bending and unbending your knee? It is on the lateral (outside) part of my knee where that horrible burning pain is coming from.
 
Writing in the reply box like you did is exactly the way you post any questions you have, and it’s how you reply to responses you get. You did great.

I have often had that grinding experience, especially after overdoing my activities.
 
@bookread I get that grinding in my unoperated knee when I bend it with weight on it, but not on the new knee so far so couldn't say whether it's ok or not. Sorry. I hope you get some answers soon.
 
Thanks. I go in for a EMG test (nerve conduction test) on March 5th. I am having terrible nerve pain. My knee is “waking up” and it’s horrible. Then, on March 13th, I find out the results of the test. So....I’ll wait to find out, before I start to worry too much.
 
I'm sorry your going through this, ugh. I do think, as others have stated, you started back to work far too early. However, that's water under the bridge now. Ice as mach as possible - its a great pain reliever.

Recently I had an EMG test. Its nothing to worry about. I'm curious how your appointments will work out. Please keep us informed. And remember elevation / ice.
 
How do I change the title of my posts? I’d like to change the words, “Eight Weeks Postop” to “Nerve pain during recovery.” Thank you.
 
We’ll change that for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Apart from Gabapentin, are you taking anything for your pain? Even though you can't take narcotics, you could take Tylenol on a regular basis. 1,000 mg four times a day (6-hourly) should help to decrease your pain. Just check your other medications, to make sure that none of them contains Tylenol/Acetaminophen. If they do, reduce one or two doses of Tylenol, so you stay within the safe daily total of 4,000 mg.

Although you have nerve pain, I'm sure that some of your pain is still from over-use of a knee that is still trying to heal.

It's still only just over 11 weeks since you had your TKR - many people aren't even back at work yet.

Complete recovery from a TKR can take as long as a full year - sometimes even longer - so your knee isn't even a quarter of the way yet. There is still plenty of time for improvement.
 
I didn’t think of taking Tylenol. I’ll try taking Tylenol tomorrow. I have my EMG (nerve conduction test) on Tuesday. Do you know what will happen if they do find a nerve that is acting up?
 
Is it normal to have fluid behind your knee? My ultrasound showed a Baker’s cyst in the back of my knee, which I had even before the surgery. Will it ever go away?
 
My ultrasound showed a Baker’s cyst in the back of my knee, which I had even before the surgery. Will it ever go away?
It can do. It can swell up and go down again. If you read the article, you'll know why
 
Is it normal to still have pain, right below my knee cap, at 11 weeks into my recovery? I believe it’s the spot where my quad muscle attaches to the tibia. Like the spot where a runner would be diagnosed with “runners knee.”
 
There will continue to be pain here and there for a while, especially if you are active. 11 weeks is only about 25% healed in this one year, (52 weeks) on average recovery.

I am retired so I was able to baby my knee much more than you have been able to, having to go back to work so early, and I still had plenty of swelling and pains at 11 weeks. It’s par for the course for many of us.

I feel so bad that it was necessary for you to go back to work as early as you did. It requires you to be on your feet a lot and do more walking than your new knee would like. Unfortunately our knee does not understand our circumstances, it’s very self centered, and it is rebelling with pain.

Sleeping all night with your leg elevated can be good in helping the knee settle down after a day of activity. I still sleep with both legs elevated all night.

Do you have a Spring break coming up? If so can you give your knee a lot of rest and elevation during that time?
 
Believe me, I know about nerve pain! When I had my TKR last June, the pain was excruciating for weeks. I knew the biggest part of it was nerve pain because it hurt all over my leg, from my knee down to my ankle and even behind my knee. And it would be quick stabbing pain. Some of it felt like there was someone stabbing me with a knife and then twisting it! I believe it was 6 to 8 weeks before it settled down.

Then I had my revision done Jan 29, 2019 and didn’t experience any nerve pain for the first 3 weeks. I was so happy. Then in the 4th week I started having nerve pain again though not near as bad as before. And yes, just two nights ago I had the pain on one little spot on upper medial side of my knee. It lasted all night long and pain meds wouldn’t touch it.

I understand that you haven’t been able to take pain meds but wondering if you have tried Tramadol. It is a synthetic type opioid and not near as bad on your stomach as true opioids.

I too am appalled that you started back to work so soon. Thank God, I am semi-retired and don’t have to go back until I’m ready. I cannot imagine going back to work at 4 weeks. I am 5 weeks out right now and have only been out to go to rehab.

I wish you the best of luck with your recovery. And I hope you find some relief for your pain soon. My heart goes out to you! Please keep us up to date on how you are doing.
 
Oh my gosh! It’s so wonderful to find someone experiencing the same nerve pain as I am! I thought I was the only one in the entire world experiencing this pain. Nerve pain is most excruciating! I was almost in tears today. Thank you, “Ilovecruising” for posting your comments today. Now I know I am not hallucinating or going mad because of this nerve pain I’m experiencing! No one that I know who has had a knee replacement seems to have suffered with nerve pain.

I do have a spring break coming up. It will be March 18th—22nd. I’m hoping to rest my knee a bit more during this time.

I will ask my doctor, when I see him on March 13, if I could try Tramadol.
 
Hi, I had Rt knee revision on 7/17/19 which makes me how 8 months post op. I'm still having pain /stiffness and my OS tells me that the pain is nerve pain. Saw neurologist and he told me that the pain that I have around the knee is from small nerves and will hopefully regenerate. I have been on Gabapentin 600mg twice daily and tried to reduce it gradually what you have to do with this drug. However when I do I get more pain so I'm back up to that dose and is helping with the pain. 300 mg Gabapentin is very low that you are taking. What did neurologist say about that dose? How about your OS? You may want to ask when you go for your next appointment. I also take 25mg of Tramadol at night if I have pain.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom