Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Looks like I'm in the lucky 1%-

I'm glad to hear an infectious disease dr is part of the decision. Because I had debridement/washout/spacer exchange cultures were taken during surgery and the ID Dr visited me the next day in the hospital. While I no longer see my OS on a regular basis, I do still see my ID because I'm on a low dose of doxycycline. She runs labs once or twice a year to be sure everything is good.
 
I am so sorry Scott. I know it is not the result you wanted to hear but at least you know what the problem is. See what the ID suggests. I know it is a tough decision.
 
Thank goodness you're seeing an ID. You have your knee in the right hands.
 
@Karri I will be starting doxycyline once the storms pass & we can drive to the pharmacy.

Thank you everyone for the prayers & kind words.

It would no be so bad if I was not dealing with scar tissue & nerve damage too. The scar tissue on my patellar tendon is so bad that if I flex my knee beyond 60° it locks up & snaps. When it pops back into place it is extremely painful.
 
I wonder if the infection is adding to that stiffness and pain. I was on two different antibiotics immediately after the washout surgery, oral rafapim and another (I don't remember) that was through a pic line. After 2 months they stopped both of those because it was effecting my white cell count and put me on 200mg doxycycline, 6 months later I was down to 100mg and still take that along with a good probiotic. Don't be surprised if the ID changes up the script depending on the cultures.
 
Have you decided on what will be done?

Waiting on response from ID doctor. I am leaning towards washout & spacer change. Then long term suppression antibiotics.

Long term the odds are against clinical cure without two stage revision. But I just cannot handle that right now.
 
I totally understand. I did the same thing. I hope the ID comes up with something.
 
You are making the right decision for you, when you hear from the ID Dr you will be able to make a final decision. Thanks for keeping us up to date, sending positive thoughts your way.
 
I had the washout/spacer exchange with IV and oral antibiotics after surgery for 6 weeks. As soon as the staples came out my knee began to seep again and continued for 2 weeks. Eventually, after a lot of prayer, the seeping stopped and I was put on 200 mg of doxycycline. Six months later it went down to 100mg and I still take it. If this is what you do be sure to get a good probiotic. It has really helped to keep my stomach on an even keel.
 
Starting two new oral antibiotics for 3 weeks. Have to pick them up from pharmacy.

Follow up & decide whether to dig deeper. Staph Capitis can be held in check with supression therapy long term w/o surgery.

Of course the #1 protocol is 2 stage revision, #2 is deridement & spacer change or #3 SAT.

It will be my choice to decide if picc line & butt kicking dosage of synergistic combo is the next step at follow up.
 
I pray the two new meds work for you and knock out that infection!
 
My infection was a type of staph also, but I don't remember exactly which type. The PICC line was no big deal going in, showering with it was difficult. I needed to wrap it with Cling Wrap twice to keep the dressing dry and clean. A nurse came to my house weekly to change the dressing however I was homebound. At the same time I was on oral Rifampin which turned my bodily fluids red/pink. After 6 weeks my white cell count was dangerously low and it appeared the antibiotics had shocked my body into not making white cells. So the PICC was pulled and a week later the Rifampin stopped. After two weeks I started the doxycycline. But in between I was homebound because my body had nothing to fight infection and I was told by the ID to go directly to an ER if I had a fever. After the two weeks labs showed my body had kicked back in and white count was going up.
Be sure to get a good probiotic as soon as you go on the antibiotics.
 
I hope they find a solution for you. The only thing the ID would consider for me was the removal of first artificial hip, washout, spacer, antibiotic therapy then a hip revision 9 weeks later. I guess that is what you are referring to a two stage revision. My infection was Coagulase negative staph and the antibiotic that worked was Daptomycin. I had no side affects to mention and I consider myself lucky. Take care and good luck. This has gone on so long for you.


Linda
 
Hi! I know..I don't take Cipro because of my tendon issues. Along with the leg I have had partial tears on both Achilles and surgery on a torn posterior tibial tendon. The doctors won't prescribe it. Sending the good vibes your way,
 
Hi! I know..I don't take Cipro because of my tendon issues. Along with the leg I have had partial tears on both Achilles and surgery on a torn posterior tibial tendon. The doctors won't prescribe it. Sending the good vibes your way,

It will be interesting to see how much infection is found once they open me up. I think it will be minimal.

I have been working hard on PT for all the small muscles involved with the knee. Slowly improving.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom