Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Looks like I'm in the lucky 1%-

Unfortunately sports medicine docs, though they may be good at sports medicine, aren't the best for replacements or infections. My original OS was a sports med doc, but my second was a revision specialist who was trained in infections and how to deal with them.
 
@Bikesouth, I don't know anything about infectious disease or tkr infections... But I am extraordinarily sorry that you are going through all this. My feeling is that anyone who has had the misfortune of dealing with infection is an incredibly strong person, indeed. Wishing you the best (and all the good luck since it can't hurt) in recovering from this.
 
My personal opinion is we cannot eliminate these bacteria permanently from our bodies
But we can reduce them to a 'normal' level. All these staph bugs are normal commensals in the human body. In fact, we couldn't actually be healthy if we did eliminate them permanently because they keep our immune system active.
any operating room environment is bad exposure even for irrigation & debridement.
That is just SO not true! Any orthopaedic theatre has specially filtered air conditioning over the operating table and everything is kept as clean as is humanly possible. Staff are required to wear freshly laundered scrubs and to keep their hair completely covered. There are also strict protocols about who can touch the sterile trolley and contents and in what circumstances. Any staff touching the trolley or instruments has to be scrubbed, gowned, gloved and have their mouth and nose covered with a surgical mask. I could go on but having spent most of my life as a theatre nurse/sister/manager, you can take my word for it!

I sprained my LTKA about 90 days post op
how do you sprain a new knee? What exactly does that mean?
You don't sprain the new knee - you sprain the soft tissues around it!
 
@Bikesouth you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads

2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated

3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary
 
My personal opinion is we cannot eliminate these bacteria permanently from our bodies

I realize that but I like to keep them at a safe level and where they are supposed to be. I hope your appointment goes well and you are given good news.
 
@Josephine
That is just SO not true! Any orthopaedic theatre has specially filtered air conditioning over the operating table and everything is kept as clean as is humanly possible. Staff are required to wear freshly laundered scrubs and to keep their hair completely covered. There are also strict protocols about who can touch the sterile trolley and contents and in what circumstances. Any staff touching the trolley or instruments has to be scrubbed, gowned, gloved and have their mouth and nose covered with a surgical mask.

I know the industrialized nations of the world have the best facilities and protocols. But there are three places you don't want to be if a bacteria or virus is busting loose: Commercial airliner, Hospital or Cruise Ship.

Like my thread title says I am in the 1% or less club. Overall ID control is good. Having worked in the ventilation field for 30 years I can say that surgical ventilation is theoretically clean or pure. In reality laminar airflow can distribute pathogens. Building age, maintenance, location and layout all affect the operating room.

One thing is 100% for sure if your going to be cut open the best odds are for it to be performed in a surgical unit.
 
We are all pulling for your and are here when you need us!
 
@Josephine

I know the industrialized nations of the world have the best facilities and protocols. But there are three places you don't want to be if a bacteria or virus is busting loose: Commercial airliner, Hospital or Cruise Ship.

Like my thread title says I am in the 1% or less club. Overall ID control is good. Having worked in the ventilation field for 30 years I can say that surgical ventilation is theoretically clean or pure. In reality laminar airflow can distribute pathogens. Building age, maintenance, location and layout all affect the operating room.

One thing is 100% for sure if your going to be cut open the best odds are for it to be performed in a surgical unit.

@Bikesouth, I'm also in the 1% group. I have a son who is a commissioning engineer, MEP. He tests and commissions ORs. He has come home and mentioned that he has come across hospital ORs that have a negative air pressure, which is not a very good thing at all.
 
@Bikesouth, I'm also in the 1% group. I have a son who is a commissioning engineer, MEP. He tests and commissions ORs. He has come home and mentioned that he has come across hospital ORs that have a negative air pressure, which is not a very good thing at all.

@lpolovchik I have worked in dogfood plants that are cleaner & better kept than some pharmaceutical or food processing facilities.

Waiting on labs it will be 10 days or so. Still have trouble with my patella floating around grinding. Doc's cannot explain why other than fluid.
Drained another 70ml of bloody fluid 4th time in 9 months.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.
 
Negative culture came back this morning:).

Follow up in 4 weeks and do it again. Now if they can figure out why my patella is moving around so much.
 
:yes!:Glad to hear that you had a negative culture. I hope you continue on the road to recovery.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom