Knee Infection Looks like I'm in the lucky 1%-

Thanks everyone. I am a little confused as I had two positive cultures previously. But they were not fast growing so IDK what to think.
 
My surgeon had refused to do an aspiration culture, telling me that they were not reliable. He absolutely wanted to visually examine the tissue and culture when I was open.


Linda
 
My surgeon had refused to do an aspiration culture, telling me that they were not reliable. He absolutely wanted to visually examine the tissue and culture when I was open.


Linda

I can certainly understand if you have biofilm then it may not show up with aspiration and then boom it rears its ugly head.
 
I think he was being overly cautious of my weak immune system due to my rheumatoid arthritis and years on DMARDs (Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs).


Linda
 
Negative is such a positive word in this instance! What wonderful news!
 
Synovasure alpha defensin testing soon. Doc ordered a kit yesterday. Still having problems and developed scar tissue so bad my knee pop, locks up & cracks everytime I get up from a seated position or getting out of a car on the LH side. Persistent pain, swelling & stiffness present. Blood work for inflammation was slightly elevated but not high enough to conclude over active inflammation response.

So another surgery to remove scar tissue & possibly address infection.
 
Are you seeing your original OS or a revision specialist?
 
@KarriB I am seeing a 2nd opinion OS. My original surgeon is fantastic and a true genius.

Kind of feel like Bonnie right now.
 
I understand. My original was good too, but even he said my revision specialist was the best and exactly who I should be seeing.
 
Fresh aspiration sent off today for culture and the Synovasure vial also.

This is the third aspiration in a row to be extremely bloody.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Looks like I'm in the lucky 1%-
    Fluid - Copy.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 257
That does look dark,,,mine just had faint tinges of red. I hope everything keeps coming back clean.
 
@Bikesouth I am thinking of you and praying for a good outcome for you. This is a tough road for sure. Blessings to you to have a good day today.
 
@Bikesouth

Sorry you have to keep going through this. I'm some ways, I'm glad I have the wound vac to drain my knee, otherwise it would look like yours when aspirated. It stinks that it's not getting pinker.

I hope that they can fix your patella so you can function well again.

Jen
 
Infection confirmed, staph capitus a wimp bacteria that causes the same discomfort as the more aggressive ones.

Not up for a two stage revision at this point and do not know what to do. Tired of this ****.

I do recommend the Synovasure test in conjunction with cultures. So my CRP was 7.4 & WBC was nearly 18,000.
 
Did they find it through an aspiration culture or blood work? What does your infectious disease dr say?
 
Oh no. Thank God you caught it. Now, on to the cure! You have lots of people here praying for you!
 
@KarriB it was confirmed via culture from aspiration & Synovasure test which is an Alpha Defensen biomarker. It looks at peptides in the fluid.

My Dr. Is sending the test results to ID doctor for an opinion. Maybe DAIR is a possibility but I have a history with staph & hardware.
 
Maybe DAIR is a possibility but I have a history with staph & hardware.
I had to look up what DAIR is. It's not an abbreviation we use here, so if you're going to use it, please add a definition. What I found was that DAIR is sometimes used as an abbreviation for "debridement, antibiotics, irrigation, and retention".

I'm glad that your doctor is consulting an ID expert. I think that treatment of any infection in a joint replacement should involve consultation with an expert.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom