looks like i made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are on the road and sound like things are going as they should. You are right to listen to all your wonderful advisors. Someone told me " you only get one chance to heal correctly, why would you want to do it any other way" . Good advice don't ya think? Good luck on a speedy healing. -Cathy
 
First real outing

I decided to go with my wife to a neighboring town to. Get cigarettes yesterday. While at the liquor store, I ran into the secretary from work. I walked over to her car without an AD and chatted for a bit. She was happy to see I was doing well. I then went into the store without AD and realized that I probably should have brought one but made it out ok walking very carefully.
Then we decided to pick up some groceries etc. while we were out, so we parked in a handicapped spot and I took my walker in hand and waded in among the stretch pant and blue Jean short clad tattood wildebeests that inhabit Walmart on a Saturday afternoon.
I made it all around the store. I did use the walker for more support than I wanted to but it seemed wise, Since one old lady almost took me out with her cart. I figured that I would pay dearly for all the activity later but didn't even need pain meds when I went to bed. I did a good bit of walking around our little house w/o a walker but watching carefully for obstacles in my path. PT wants to move to using a cane next week so I think I'll be ready.
Surgery was 2 weeks ago next tue.
 
Re: First real outing

Bobslp
Your progress sounds impressive! Keep it up.
I had my first outing two days ago. I was sore afterward and took some Tylenol.
In the future I will do my outings during the quieter times of the day/week.
God bless you.
"Zorro"
 
Well done! My, you are doing well!

[Bonesmart.org] looks like i made it
​
 
Re: First real outing

PT wants to move to using a cane next week so I think I'll be ready.
Surgery was 2 weeks ago next tue.

Hi Bob,
Sounds like you are doing well, out and about to Walmart already!

I found it helpful to transition from the walker to two crutches and then one crutch and then the cane -- vs. walker right to the cane. Maybe this is the plan with your PT also.

Good luck,
Cardie

P.S. @Josephine: who are those girls in the photo and what are they holding....
 
Wow, you made it through Walmart safely? You deserve some kind of award haha. Glad things are going so well and you are getting on with things. Good luck with your transition to cane. At the rate you are going, I bet you will do fantastic. Happy healing -cathy
 
Re: First real outing

P.S. @Josephine: who are those girls in the photo and what are they holding....
Wondered if anyone would pick up on that!

Story behind it is: had a senior anaesthetist retire in my last manager job. He was really one for the ladies and like legs too! So for his retirement, this group of girls, all members of my theatre (OR) staff, volunteered to bring in black stockings, garters and high heels for the photo. I was the photographer! I had them do a variety of poses but this one seemed appropriate as they are making up to the anaesthetic tubing - with off screen encouragement from me!
They are also sitting on an operating table. We had this one, just the legs, printed off (no digital cameras then!) framed it and put a smaller version of the whole picture on the back to remind him which legs belonged to who! Lovely lot of gals, aren't they?

[Bonesmart.org] looks like i made it




[Bonesmart.org] looks like i made it


He absolutely loved it but it seemed his wife was furious and would only let him keep it so long as it stayed in his office! :hysterical:



PS. If the equipment and stuff look old fashioned it's because they are! This was done in 1985!
 
I managed to get up and down three full flits if stairs at PT yesterday. (non reciprocal) Did about 7-8 min on the stationary bike while the PTA and I discussed a case she is working on. I was able to balance on the affected foot for about 30 sec+ and am still walking without a limp.
I got out this morning and planted some tomato plants, took a misstep and my ilipsoas sang to me lol. The sun felt sooo nice.
 
Yay for no limp!! I hope your discomfort has gone, gotta be careful with those missteps...owie!
 
Holy moly batman, you are doing so great! Good for you. Wow a singing psoas, will wonders never cease haha. Hope your success continues and hooray for you on no limp -Cathy
 
Hi Bob,

Sure sounds like you are doing well! Are you on the cane, off the cane?

I do see you over in the other person's thread about the numbness & I think that you'll experience lots of changes in sensation at your incision over the next few weeks. Try not to worry about it too much, especially since your surgeon had mentioned that it was something his patients usually experience.

Have a nice weekend & hope your tomato plants do well, how do you protect them so early in the season?

Take care,
Cardie
 
We went to vivid family/friends in KY this weekend. Rode 50 miles down there and visited and walked a good deal. On the way back, we stopped and did the Wal mart thing again and I did it without ad.
Sunday, I went back to bed and enjoyed the cool, gray weather. I slept most of the day. Today in PT, I did a very little with recriprocal stairs and when I got home (I drove myself) I walked up to one of the Lake Nowhere donkey pastures to check out how much composted donkey doo I might be able to acquire for my raised beds. I plan to get out in a few and kill some of the bamboo shoots that are taking my yard over. I am Learning to listen more to my body and not push it past what it tells me not to. I think I may just make it...
 
Back at work today, surgery was 1 month ago tomorrow. Not hurting as bad as I thought I thought I would although the other lateral hip area is singing to me as I walk down the hallway. Must be the pelvic realigning thing. Leg still feels longer but not so much as before. Still pain in the hip flexors that remind me not to move certain ways.
I got out this weekend and applied colorant and algaecide to my lake. (from the bank with a sprayer), used a weed trimmer and knocked some weeds down around the house, took a sprayer of roundup and walked my 700' driveway and sprayed all the weeds along the edge of the woods and in the cracks etc. and burned up a pile of wood where I had some trees cut before surgery.
The PT at sjri told me to expect pain with each major increase in activity and she seems to be right. lol. Luckily, they are also very generous with pain meds.
I must be back at work, it's lunch and I'm rambling.
 
I started doing assisted supine leg raises in PT with the accompanying pain. I took as many opportunities as possible to use the flexors and adductors in their natural patterns of movement as I could.
Yesterday, I carried 5 50lb bags of potting soil on my shoulder to my beds from the truck (about 50'). That's 5 trips back and forth stepping over about a 1' wall each trip. I think if I can get the flexors and adductors fully functional and get the verve on my thigh to wake up, I'll be well on the downhill run.
 
Oh my Bob, what's that I see in the sky..... Superman :)

Fantastic, but do take care, still early days... gosh I sound like my Mom! ::hysterical:
 
Ohmigoodness :hate-shocked:. You are making progress. Continued good luck with your recovery...I am jealous and inspired---except for the 50 lb bags of soil. I prefer hiring a good looking, single, 28 Yr old dark haired, green-eyed male with any kind of accent....

Sorry I digress......:th_heehee:
 
Back at work after only 1 Month wow keep it up buddy hope all goes well for you.
 
Hey Carol...... I live with exactly what you just described @Mad Rocker:

he just doesn't do what I want him to.... no wait, maybe it was a dream !

Sorry to highjack your thread Bob.... you are doing so well.. must be building those upper body muscles too ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom