looks like i made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home, sweet, home...no place like it. You have your meds, reading materials, wonderful wife, sounds like a plan...good for you. Hang in there, it takes a while but we all get there.
 
Good to hear you are doing better and at home. Hope your temperature is back to normal, if it rises let your doctor know right away. Learned the hard way about secondary infections with a family member. Otherwise sounds like you are on the way to recovery!
 
Glad for you that you are home and have all you need to be comfortable. It is so much nicer to be in once own home. Rest well this weekend. :sleep:
Bea
 
I'm having a little more pain today but I think it's because my nerves are "waking up" a little. There is still a good deal of swelling but the MD said to expect that as well as the bruising that is very evident. The incision area is still numb but that was a given and I was told to expect it for a few weeks.
I am using the walker but have moved away from it a few times with a sturdy table etc. Nearby.
I am scripted 15 mg of oxycodone every 4 hours but a taking it more like every 6-10 hrs.
The difference between anterior approach is like daylight and dark. I am putting am putting my anti clot hose by myself as well as regular socks. Getting in and out of bed as well as getting up from a chair is so much easier. I. Can bend over and pick up something I dropped. The list goes on. So far, the numbness is the most problematic but like I said, it should pass.
I'll post more later. It's nice to be posting in recovery :thumb:
I hate this iPad keyboard.
 
I had the same reaction. After the anxiety from the buildup, I was so relieved to be on the recovery side that I started posting from the hospital bed.:snork:
 
Pain is ok except for walking. I overdid it today. Too much walking. I probably need to slow it down some....

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the "other side" and back home!!

Remember, you have plenty of time to overdo it in 6 to 8 months time -- now is the period of rest & recovery to insure that your hardware stays put and heals into the proper place...

Listen to what all the other folks before me have told you in your thread about the pain meds & stay on top of your pain -- pretty sure one of the J mods will be here shortly to reiterate this :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Can't speak to the anterior approach but sure can to being at home after surgery. There truly is no place like it. Be good to yourself. Cathy
 
Hello Bob:
Congratulations on your recovery. Keep up the good work!
Zorro
 
I had my first PT today. The exercises were for the most part painless. The really great part came when the PT told me that one of the goals was to walk without a limp and That would probably be "mission impossible" right now. He demonstrated what the limp would look like and asked me to try to walk the parallel bars while putting as much weight as possible on my left leg. I proceeded to walk them 3 times without any limping. He laughed and said "yep, I think you got it" I also managed to stand full weight on the affected leg for about 5 sec. (PT goals from SJRI are to do that for 10 sec by week 3. So far, there is still an intermittent low grade fever < 1 degree and considerable swelling and pain but I have actually forgotten a couple of times and walked without my walker and the gait felt normal. I guess not bad considerin the surgery was a week ago tomorrow. So far, I likes this anterior approach.
 
Hi Bob,

Congratulations on your new hip! You sound in excellent spirits which is fabulous news. I love you can also move around so well and bend over to pick things up, I found those things pretty easy too. Don't over do things in early phase Im still a firm believe the first few weeks are about resting and healing.

The twangs and little spasms didn't last long for me, for quick and uncomfortable. Wow I'm writing thins feeling like I had my hip done years ago and it was 5 months approx.

Have a good week!

xxooxx
 
Man, I did a crash and burn yesterday. Overcome with fatigue and decided to do what I have read here so much and listen to my body. It told mr to go to bed and ended up dozing most of the day. More pain this AM, kind of like the muscles are continuing to "wake up" more.
Second PT in a about 1/2 hour and then Umayyads to get out and about some this sitting around is driving me nuts. I guess impatience can be potent enemy.
Holler at y'all later.
 
Bob,

Your on about the same track as I was at one week out. Starting to go stir crazy, feeling a little better and pushing yourself a little are all healthy signs. I remember knowing I had pushed it too hard when I had the day after crash. Learned pretty quickly to treat it with plenty of naps which I kind of miss.

Sounds like overall you are making great progress and already getting back into the action. I think you will be amazed at the progress you make during the next few weeks.

Don
 
Hi Bob,

Ok, I'll be the first to say that we don't like to know that you had a "crash and burn" on day 7 after your surgery and that you are now contemplating getting out and about b/c this sitting around is driving you nuts.

Dude, anterior approach is great -- however it is still major surgery where your leg muscles were pulled, stretched and otherwise assaulted for a few hours. Try to take it a little more easily for a little while longer. The goal in the early weeks is for your hardware to stay put and settle in to your body and healing from the trauma of a big surgery. Ice, rest, naps, nutritious meals & snacks, naps, bossing the family members around from the couch, naps -- more of this...

Don't let impatience be your enemy -- you have plenty of time in the weeks & months ahead to test drive your new hip, take it easy for a little longer.

Take care,
Cardie
 
I keep getting reminded of that by my body. After PT yesterday, I walked around the house a lot and ventured out in the yard to look at my roses. I paid for that with a painful night and mid thigh. Pain today. I think they should sent me home with a load of "chill pills" as well as pain meds.:sigh:
 
I, too, had a crash about 2 weeks post op. I was just doing too much too soon. I know it's hard being patient, but we really do have to. It took me a week to recover from my crash. Mine was fatigue related too. The hip itself was doing fine.

Take it easy ... really!

Dorothy
 
It is all about finding your balance isn't it? Everything in moderation as they say. I'll share what someone told me. "you only have one chance to do this right, why would you do it any other way". I know, I know, easier said than done, but so true. Be patient and good luck on the journey -cathy
 
Yes, taking it easy is hard to do. One has to find out what one can do without overdoing it. I am still trying to find that point. I think the majority of us hippies have had days when we overdid it.
I hope you rest well and take it easy for a while.
Have a great weekend.
Bea
 
I'm going to take y'alls advice and take it very easy today. Bed, exercises later, bed, ice, pain meds, eat, bed, TENS etc.
The pain is a little different today. If you've ever had a swollen gum that causes your teeth to feel compressed, that's kinda what my hip feels like. I think it's trying to wake up more. No sense in shocking it during this time.
I'll holler at y'all later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom