Looking for Info from Other Hippies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the well wishes Newf! I went to my GP first who referred me to the OS. During my first visit with my OS, he took one look at my xray and said I needed a THR. I was shocked, expected him to be suggesting injections, PT, more of a 'try this and we'll see attitude'. I cried. He asked if I had any questions which at that point my head was spinning. I ended up making another appointment about a month later after I had calmed down and did some research and had all my questions written down. Now my surgery has arrived! I'll see you on the other side!
 
Hi Newf by now you will realize you are not alone and certainly NOT too young to have a hip replacement!! I had mine done on Saturday and am still in hospital at the moment but the pain in my right leg, knee and hip has gone! Stick with this site there are some lovely people here who can help, advise and just bolster your spirits, it helped me enormously. :)
 
I just found out yesterday that I have an appt with an OS on Apr 3rd.I can't stop running all different scenerios through my mind.It will feel good to get some real answers, good or bad.
 
Newf Good that your appointment is so soon! Maybe let the OS run the scenarios? I know, I know, that's so much easier said than done, and as a matter of fact I can't follow my own advice. I just keep hanging around here where the calm is sure to rub off on us :)
 
It's hilarious to me how people on here in the 30s and older have been told they are too young to have a thr. I'm 24 and both doctors I saw never told me that. One wasn't thrilled a out doing it on someone my age but said it was a quality of life issue.
 
Josephine, you might be interested in this long term survival paper:

Primary total hip replacement with a Furlong fully hydroxyapatite-coated titanium alloy femoral component

Results at a minimum follow-up of 20 years

Abstract

We present the extended follow-up (≥ 20 years) of a series of fully hydroxyapatite-coated femoral components used in 72 primary total hip replacements (THRs). Earlier results of this cohort have been previously published. All procedures were performed between 1986 and 1991. The series involved 45 women and 15 men with 12 bilateral procedures. Their mean age at the time of surgery was 60 years (46 to 80) and the mean duration of follow-up was 22.5 years (20 to 25). At final follow-up, the mean Merle d’Aubigné and Postel hip scores were 5.5 (4.5 to 6), 3.8 (3.5 to 5) and 3.3 (3.0 to 5.0) for pain, mobility and function, respectively. Of the patients 92% were very satisfied at the time of final follow-up.
There were seven revisions: six of the acetabular component for aseptic loosening and one of both the stem and the acetabular component for loosening due to deep infection. The survival of this prosthesis at 22.5 years with revision for any reason as the endpoint was 91.7% (95% confidence interval (CI) 84 to 99). Survival with aseptic loosening of the stem as the endpoint was 100% (95% CI 90 to 100).
This prosthesis provides pain relief in the long term. Survival of this component is comparable to the best results for primary THR with any means of fixation.
Cite this article: Bone Joint J 2013;95-B:467–71.
 
having bthr in 3 days but whats bothering me is the pain in my knees and legs! Is this normal with hip pain?
 
having bthr in 3 days but whats bothering me is the pain in my knees and legs! Is this normal with hip pain?

Very much so, it took forever to even diagnose my pain as hip pain because I was so convinced that the pain was coming from my knees. It could be compensation with how you're walking because of the hip pain. It will hopefully cease after your surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom