Guest viewing is limited

Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary-Pat....your post made my heart ache for you. All I can say is to keep working, keep searching for people who can help you and never, ever give up. For some the journey back is very long....but it doesn't mean that you won't reach your goal.

Please know that we care about you and will be here for you. The same goes for you, Audrey. You have been through so much already and handled it with grace and dignity. I know you will continue to push for what is best for you and we're right there with you!
 
Thanks everybody! Mary-Pat and I are mirror images of each other. Please continue to post! Well...we are off to Portland! Will post later today!
 
Oh bless your hearts, both of you. If only I could think of something to suggest ... But sadly the brain cupboard is bare.

Mary-Pat, here's some info about Astym therapy
 
Hi! I'm back from seeing the Dr............ let's start this out on a good note! Positive: Knee is able to bend to 70 degrees without great effort. Some, but not pushing it. Wish I had more, but sadly......nope.

After 4 weeks of trying my darnedest to get to 0 degrees, I am not able to get below 15 degrees without MAJOR effort. I can get to 10 degrees, but it takes me about 5 minutes and it's quite painful. The areas of pain that I have on the lateral side of my knee is due to the released tendons. I was not aware that he released a large tendon that runs along the side of my thigh and along the side of my knee. Sorry... don't know the name of this tendon, but I know it used to attach to the lateral side of the femoral head. Where it's not there any more, (????) there is no cushioning in that area. Thus, the intense, sharp pain I feel when I slightly touch that area. He said in time, that pain may go away, but with the RSD/CRPS being the main culprit with me, he just can't say.

So...that's the focus now. RSD/CRPS. No more surgery. He says there isn't anything left to fix/remove or repair. Whereas I am able to get to 70 degrees flexion, he is pretty sure he doesn't want to do an MUA. He is VERY concerned about making the RSD/CRPS worse than it is now. He did say that managing my pain after this last surgery was very complex... not like the one he did before. When I came out of anaesthesia, I was in a lot of pain, even with the Ketomine and the other pain drugs that were being infused. The day after surgery, when they tried to get me out of bed and I screamed and said they were being barbaric was the day he knew the RSD/CRPS was not in control, so he ordered more pain meds. I can remember I had (2) IV's with different pain meds going into each one. I'm glad he explained more about what went on after this last surgery, as I was really upset in the hospital and "out of it" most of the time. Now I understand what was going on and know that he did his best to handle the situation.

So.... the calf pain is due to me trying to walk with a bent leg... and overdoing it. There is nothing wrong with the knee replacement or the new "spacer". My knee is rock solid, as he says. My quad muscle may or may not return... in time. Again... we don't know how much "time" it may take. When I pressed for his thoughts, he said "if we are lucky... 2 years, and that's getting ½ of it back. We just have this roadblock called RSD that is in your way". I asked about spinal cord stimulators and all that other stuff, and we both agreed that it was a band-aid for a problem that I might have to learn to live with.
Plus..... I've really had enough evals and appts with specialists to last me a lifetime. I really, REALLY need a break, so I'm going to take one.

I see him again in 4 weeks and he is hoping that I can gain another 10 degrees of flexion and possibly get down to 10 degrees extension. I have GOT to pace myself and not do too much. He said "I can't stress that enough". Small gains followed by plateaus is what I need to focus on both physically and mentally. He knows that winters are very hard for me, as the cold wreaks havoc with the RSD.

I'm going to keep using the neoprene "Donjoy" brace with the hinges on both sides. I've got 45 degree stoppers in it now, and he wants me to get 75 degree stoppers and keep those in for 6 months. My BIGGEST fear is falling and having my knee bend further than it has in 2 years, and that would not be a good thing. First... it would really, really, REALLY hurt, and doing so would make the RSD soar! So... I'm going to be very careful not to bend my knee further than I can. Also any "strike" to the sensitive area beside my knee would not be good either.

So.... gotta keep my knee area warm, don't over-do it, pace myself and know that I cannot compare myself to another knee replacement patient as I am "special". Not the kind of "special" I want to be, but he promised me he's in this for the long-haul with me.

We ended the conversation with me asking "should I have had a fusion?".... to which he replied I would still have the same pain because of the RSD/CRPS and have a non-functioning knee. If patience is a virtue, I've got a lot of it!!!!!
 
{{{Hugs}}}, Audrey. I'm glad the OS was able to explain in more detail why things are the way they are with your leg - but the way they are still stink! I do hope that you can find the right balance between stretching to get the ROM and, at the same time, backing off a bit to keep the CRPS at bay. Your doctor does sound very supportive and caring, at the very least. That means a lot, especially when they don't have a lot of things to offer that might help you - except to give it time, LOTS of time. It truly does sound like he is sticking with you for the long haul. That is exceptional (in a good way) LOL. I am so over my "specialness" re my knee. I am sick of hearing from health professionals that they have never seen a knee quite like mine, ever!

I haven't traveled down as long a road as you - but I am definitely running very low on courage, patience and perseverance. I need a boat load of all 3 right now! LOL I will take inspiration from you and your positive attitude despite the challenges. I really appreciate your sharing with me - and the rest of the BoneSmart Forum.
 
And Josephine and Jamie - thanks for your kind words. It means a lot to me.
And thanks for the link re ASTYM. I am hoping to start with that next week.
 
Mary-Pat,
I think your OS and my OS should get together and compare notes! :wink1:
 
Well, at least you know where you are with him, Audrey. And everything that happened.
We ended the conversation with me asking "should I have had a fusion?".... to which he replied I would still have the same pain because of the RSD/CRPS and have a non-functioning knee.
I also thought this which I why I haven't brought up the subject. And you are patience personified! :thumb:
 
Audrey, I do think your "slow and steady" approach is the best thing for now. Your surgeon is refreshingly honest and helpful. I have a lot of respect for him based on what you have written. I hope that a little break from all the doctors will be helpful for you. You know what to do (actually what NOT to do) and you are amazingly patient. Here's a big ((((HUG)))). We're here for you!
 
Hi everyone. I'm sorry that I haven't posted lately. I try really hard to be up-beat and postive, but the past month(s) have really got me down. As you know, we said goodbye to "Gracie", our Shetland pony. A month ago, our oldest Pomeranian, "Candie" stopped eating and we made the decision to say goodbye as well. I just feel like I've been hit with too many "sucker punches". John (my hubby) has been my rock, and I don't know what I'd do without him.
As for this knee of mine....I'm really not doing well. I'm back on my pain meds (hydrocodone and dialauden and sometimes diazapan) pretty much every day. The only time I don't take them is if I have to drive, which isn't often, but I pay dearly at the end of the day after my "outing" or errands that I did. I have extreme pain behind my knee in areas that tendons would be, and along the outside of my knee. I still have that VERY senstive spot just to the left of the top of my knee that is you touch it, or it gets bumped I just scream. What is happening to me is very strange and I just don't get it.
I can bend my knee during the night to almost 85 degrees. I can sit in a chair and my knee will bend (without pain) to about 75 degrees. Here's the bafling part: I cannot straighten it. It just won't go! I have tried everything from putting weights on my knee to standing at the counter and stretching the leg out. More baffling is that when I do this, I CAN get it to about 10 degrees. It just won't go any further. After I do these "exercises", I can walk around (ha ha) with the use of one arm crutch for a short amount of time. However, if I sit down for even a couple of minutes in a chair, or put my leg up in the recliner...when I go to get up, my leg will not hold me up and will not go to the 10 degrees I worked so hard to get to. It's BENT! I'd say a good 20 to 25 degrees. So....when I get up out of the chair, I'm bent over so badly just to grasp at furniture and things to go from point A to point B. I can't put much weight on the leg either. Not easy trying to get around with your leg bent, hunched over and putting almost all my weight onto my right leg, arm, shoulder and that arm crutch. The pain I get behind my knee, calf and sometimes running up the outer side of my thigh is unbearable.
I see Dr. Kelly this Thursday...he is baffled and I sense a bit frustrated at this point. I am going back to using 2 arm crutches just to try to balance out my body from this contortion I see as "me". I am also going to try to put on one of the casts that I wore and see if that gives me stability. You can imagine that my fear of falling is pretty high!
I don't want to live this way anymore. I am crippled. I've cried about it, gotten mad about it and been depressed about it enough to just want to stay in bed all day and wish it all away.
I really think I should have had the fusion. I would much rather deal with a straight leg that I know will support me and allow me to stand straight and have RSD pain than what I'm going through now. Every day is the same. I was hoping for a break, but it hasn't come in weeks. The more I "work" my leg, the worse the RSD gets....a lovely purple-reddish color and swelling and an ache that just goes right through me.
Why is this happening?????
 
Audrey, my dear girl - what a rotten stack of cards you have been dealt. I so wish I had something positive to say. It breaks my heart to know what you've been through and there seems no end in sight. I can only imagine the frustration you must be enduring.

[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
 
Audrey.....I have been wondering how you were doing. I'm so sorry to hear all that you've been going through. Please know that your BoneSmart family will always rally around you. Don't stay away....maybe we can help you on those really bad days.

I'm glad you're going to see your doctor soon. Is it possible to have the fusion now? It does seem as though it might be the best alternative since you are having so much pain with the last procedure.
 
I am so sorry for what you have been going through. With losing your "babies" and having so much pain I don't know how your are coping now. I pray that something goes your way soon. You definitely deserve some good in your life...and lots of hugs :grouphug2:
Greda
 
Audrey,
I have been following your story for a while. It is just riveting.
Just remember that whenever you want to reach out and share what is going on with your knee, we are here for you. Stay close.:friends:
 
I am sorry for all you have been through and are still going through. I hope you find some relief, the sooner the better.
 
Audrey,

I am so sorry to hear about all of the pain you are having to endure. Not to mention losing your shetland pony and precious dog.:cry4: I don't have any "words of wisdom" for you. I just want you to know that we are here and that I will be praying for you. I hope they go ahead with the fusion so maybe you can get some relief! The way you are living is not "living," it is merely existing. You are one strong gal though, so I know that with your husband by your side that you will make it through.:friends:
 
Hi everyone! Well...I'm back from see the knee doc. I now have a permanent cast on my leg for the next 5 weeks. This is in hopes that it will calm my leg/knee down, plus allow me the freedom to walk without the crutch(es) and a hunched-over back.
Since it's winter, I chose a HOT PINK cast! It just looked "happy", so I said "what the heck"! Could have gone red and green, but.....no, I don't think so!
Dr. K and I agreed that enough has been enough. I will have a knee fusion using 2 rods (the name of which, I can't recall...it's some guy's name). One of the rods will go in from my knee and up half way through the bone in my femur. The other one will go in through the knee as well, and go half-way down my tibia. The 2 rods will then be fused to a specific degree somewhere between 2 degrees and 8? Gotta ask him more about this. I guess "0" degrees is too straight. ????
Yes, I will still have RSD pain, but we both agreed that from all the bending and trying to straighten, plus the stress of force from a bent knee, that this could be causing the most significant pain (RSD related). He said being in the permanent cast will help tell us if this is true, as my leg won't be bending for 5 weeks. If my pain level subsides significantly, we have the culprit.
I'm going to Florida with my daughter in late February, so I don't want the surgery before then. We still have a lot to talk about, but fusion is the plan.
My stomach kind of "jumped" when we agreed. I think it was a bit from relief, and a bit of anxiety. This is a BIG step, and a permanent one....and I am not taking this lightly. But...at the same time, I'm excited to think that my life will be more "normal" once this is done. I know all the cons...I've lived with them, so it's nothing new not to be able to go up and down stairs and sit in a chair with my leg bent...or get in and out of a car. I've got that down-pat!
Jo...can you supply me with a radiograph of what this looks like...the 2 rods fused? THANKS!
 
Audrey
I really hopes the cast helps alleviate some of the pain. Deciding on the fusion has to be a good feeling and scary at the same time. I hope that you have a better days ahead!
Happy Holidays!
Greda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom