Hi everyone! Well...I'm back from Portland...FINALLY! (I hate the drive to get there) Hubby went with me, and we saw Dr. McGrory at OA. He's a nice fellow, but we both knew he was the "2nd opinion" doc, so we summed up the past 2 years in a nutshell. He was also reading the op notes and xrays on the computer while we talked. He's a nice guy, but Dr. Kelly and I are very detailed in our thinking, and I think that's why understand each other well. No second guessing...just the facts, maam! LOL
He had me walk with my cast on, then walk with it off (that's a joke!) and then he decided to poke and prod my knee. OUCHIE! Well..it had to be done, so I just gritted my teeth. He asked me what I knew about fusion, and I think he was quite impressed with the information I told him and the research I've done. Pretty much, I think this 2nd opinion was to be sure I wasn't going "cookoo bird" on Dr. Kelly and just looking for a quick fix...and not realizing what the outcome would be...as in permanent.
We just talked for about 15 minutes, and I told him my frustrations, the good, the bad and the ugly and how much better my life has been since "Peg" has been around. (that's the cast, for anybody that didn't know)
He told me that he was sure I had RSD, but go figure....my leg didn't turn that ugly purply-red color that is often does, even after he poked, prodded and tugged. He also said he was sure I had PTPD (post-traumatic pain disorder)...new one on me! But if the shoe fits.....LOL.....and it certainly does!
To sum it all up, he believes that a fusion would be my best option for stability and less pain and a more active life. We discussed the types of fusion, and he said that he was sure Dr. Kelly would use the metal plates, but to discuss that with him. He said he didn't think they would use the rod, as it could really reek havock with the RSD, and the risk of infection would be greater. (Input, please!!!!) He said he would talk to Dr. Kelly on Monday and let him know that I'm mentally stable and know the risks and what life is going to be like with a fusion. He did say that my leg would be 3cm to 4cm shorter than the other one, but lifts in shoes, or addition to soles of shoes will help with that. Also back pain and ankle pain...heck...I've got that already! He wasn't sure if the fusion would take away ALL the pain, as there have been too many surgeries done to my poor 'ole knee and it's had enough. The RSD would probably still be there, but would come in spurts like it does now, but not so severe. But....nobody really knows. It's the given outcome that I have to be able to handle, and I'm sure I can do that.
I know complications can arise, but the only alternative would be to live my life in a brace (don't know what kind, or how cumbersome) and I don't want to do that. I have (2) very "nice" braces now, and neither one gives me confidence in the wintertime, nor stops the twisting and turning of the knee. Again....OUCH!
We did discuss having nerve blocks (again) and going that whole route...of course, we had to discuss ALL options. I told him I'm done jumping through hoops and living the "maybe" life. He agreed that I've been through a lot with the knee and sometimes you just have to say "enough is enough" and make the decision that is right for YOU. Very well said, I might add!
So...if anybody want to give me input, thoughts, advice, info....PLEASE do so!!!! He did say he (and Dr. Kelly) would not do the external fixation method, as that is mostly done for patients who have had severe infection. (?) also...the "rod" would not be an option as well, for reasons I've written about above. I'll check in tomorrow. THANKS EVERYBODY!!! :ThankYou: