TKR Loneshark64’s recovery

9 weeks since TKR. I am getting around fine, going on walks, and the original pain is gone. I still get fluid from overuse. I am done with PT and have good range of motion, but less when it swells a bit. It gets achy from overuse. I was doing elliptical machine and exercise bike at home but stopped that because they were not helping. Now I am walking, stretching, doing normal stuff, and doing straight leg lifts with an ankle weight. I am taking Tylenol most days and icing occasionally.

The big problem is the knocking, with every step. It has not improved and is exactly the same. I feel that the knee implants are securely in place but my knee is loose on the medial side. I have torn my MCL a couple times in the past and it feels like my MCL is slack so my knee is loose. I talked to the De and he is willing to look at my knee when the office reopens (Coronavirus) but is not worried. He said it’s early, I had verybad prior trauma to the knee and a lot of scar tissue, it was a difficult 2hr surgery, so recovery will take a while. All the stuff I expected him to say but it was good of him to call my house personally and say it.

We had two nice days here in Maine so I took the Mustang out of winter storage in the garage. I can drive stick and handle the clutch no problemo. Also yesterday Was the first day of spring so I went down the 113 stair steps to the dock and put up the old Maine state flag (see picture), and then I came back up.


7044D190-92B8-431A-B8B5-12DA08CFF493.jpeg
 
Wow, brave soul! That trip to the dock looks intimidating.

My knees are clanking pretty bad right now. I'm walking more, and at a more normal gait. I hope they tighten up over time. At least the clanking is not painful. However, adding more distance to my walks definitely causes swelling and stiffness. I come home, elevate, and ice. The strength is building so slowly.

Hang in there. It sounds like you are doing great.
 
What a beautiful walk to the dock! I look forward to being able to walk steep hills like that
 
I can make my knee clunk simply shifting my leg in a certain way laying down. It's sorta weird but now I just don't do it and try to tune out when it happens on its own.

The knee clunking upon walking seems more spontaneous and varies upon what surface I am on. Not every step. I suppose it's just the way of the implant. Nice photo!
 
That trip to the dock looks intimidating.
Yes it is and that has been my ultimate yardstick. I need to be able to get down there pretty much daily by May. So getting there and back was good. The fear of not being able to get back to doing what I want to do has lingered. But time heals and we get better.
 
What a beautiful walk to the dock! I look forward to being able to walk steep hills like that
You will! It can be done. Last week I thought I might never.


My knees are clanking pretty bad right now. I'm walking more, and at a more normal gait. I hope they tighten up over time. At least the clanking is not painful. However, adding more distance to my walks definitely causes swelling and stiffness. I come home, elevate, and ice. The strength is building so slowly.
Same experience as me.
 
What a lovely picture going down to the dock loneshark64! Good for you tackling those steps. Glad to hear you are doing well.
 
Love your picture, you sure are lucky to live there! My surgery was 1 week before yours, and you are doing great, my knee ached when I pictured walking up & down those steps! This is just so up & down,
it is so unpredictable how you are going to feel everyday. I really iced and elevated it all weekend, and then it felt super stiff and sore this morning when I tried to walk. No rhyme or reason for how different it feels everyday!
 
Lovely picture. I think I’m Nearly 8 weeks on from the op. Not been out much recently due to lock down in France. Today walked round very big supermarket really for first time since op. Very quiet, all trolleys sanitized, everyone keeping ’social distancing’.
but spent a lot ( nothing else to spend money on as at home all the time.)
now of course knees and feet hurting. But they’ll recover.

This is Squeak, now.

image.jpg
 
It's been just over 3 months now. Knee is still knocking when I walk but otherwise I am doing everything. This knee is now my good knee. Some stiffness but I am doing all the stairs, walking as much as I want, and going fishing. Fishing is allowed here in Maine despite the lockdown if you do it alone. I have been fly fishing which means hikes bushwhacking through the woods with no trail, climbing over rocks and generally bashing about. It get's tired but I am fine. It doesnt hurt. I am not really doing any special exercises for the knee now, just doing everything else. It is not a great knee like when I was young, and it feels weird but it doesnt hurt. You do need to learn the difference between stiffness and pain. The arthritis is gone, and I can do basically whatever I need to do. I wish it didnt knock but I am getting used to that. Last week I went fishing and said to myself, ok let's not baby it, let's see if we can break this thing (within reason). I really beat on it and I was sore the next day (so was the rest of me) but fine.
 
My knee still clunks, too. It's something I've gotten used to. Doing the things you can do and you're only 3 months out is absolutely amazing! I think being able to do the things we love to do is a definition of a
of a successful knee replacement! That's what I was looking for and I got it! It sounds like you've gotten that, too!
 
That is GREAT!! My PKR clunked for about 9 months. It is a little sore in the morning, but other than that, pain FREE!!! You will forget you had a replacement in about a year.
 
It get's tired but I am fine. It doesnt hurt. I am not really doing any special exercises for the knee now, just doing everything else. It is not a great knee like when I was young, and it feels weird but it doesnt hurt. You do need to learn the difference between stiffness and pain.
Sounds like you are doing great.....I'm 6 months out on 4/28 and this describes my knee exactly. I'm fortunate in that I've never had clunking or clicking but everything else could be my status at 6 months. The arthritic pain is gone and I can function without always being aware of the knee. I've come to the realization I will just have to live with some stiffness which is much better than pain.
 
I had clicking since day 1 of my surgery, initially it really bothered me. Fast forward 6 months and I now only notice it on specific movements (swinging knee from side to side and knee raises) I do a lot of countryside/hilly walking and do now not notice it at all, give yourself a few more months and you will be the same, I've been told with time it will go altogether.
Every month you will be able to do more and more.
Great post - keep on enjoying the outdoors and new knee :realing:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom