Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lolli’s Right TKR

:hi:Happy One Month Anniversary, Lolli!
I hope 2024 is off to a good start for you.
Thanks for sharing your journey here. I hope you have a nice week!
@Lolli
 
Lolli, wonder if massage would help? I was poking at my left lower quad and it’s a little tender but I’m not sure if it’s been that way the whole time or if I’m a little sore from PT.
 
So I am 5 weeks post surgery and my physical therapist said I’m measuring 90 degrees in my bend. At my follow up appt with surgeon yesterday I told him that number and he said if I’m not at 110 in two weeks they want to do manipulation. What do y’all think of that?
 
While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time.

I have a few posts to share of other members that may be of interest -


JusticeRider shared this -
I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.

I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked.
 
VolLady shared this -
I want to tell everyone that has went though TKR that it is a long journey to heal. I am going this spring to have my other knee replaced.

Please do not get discouraged and I know you will because I did with my first one and cried more than I had in a life time. Scared mostly.... Surgeons will not tell you everything that you will experience during your healing. It took me 7 months actually to feel more normal but not 100%.

For the ROM I only got to 112 at 4 months and still cannot bend it all the way back to reach 130. But I can drive, sit at a table, put my shoes and clothes on great without a ROM of 130 or 120. There is no swelling at all at 8 months but I still have some stiffness at times but I deal with it and walk. I also still ride my bike with no trouble.

I am telling everyone this because your body will heal without PT and pushing your limit beyond to the point there is more swelling and pain. I have decided when I have my other knee fixed this spring, that I will do my own PT since I have all the equipment and items that they use anyway.

I had a MUA at almost 6 wks., and regretted it from day one. Simply because it did not help me anymore with my ROM but it did set me back on healing. The swelling was awful. I will not have another MUA even if my ROM was 95 at the time.

I will go in with open eyes on this other knee comparing on what I went though with the first one. So, with all that said, I wish everyone a happy healing and let your body decide with healing than someone trying to push you until you scream with pain. Also don't worry about the ROM, it will come -- it might take a year or more, but it will come. I am 67 years old and I don't expect to get past 120, but I do what I want to do at 67. Oh! and I can even bend down with the knee need to kneel on it..... Best wishes everyone!
 
TortiTabby shared this -
“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
Thank you for all that Layla - I do still have quite a bit of swelling and not even just my knee but all the way down my calf and ankle!
 
Hang in there. Keep pampering that baby knee with ice and elevation, short walks and gentle stretching.
 
You're welcome, Lolli. It will improve, just give it time.
I hope you have a good week! :SUNsmile:
@Lolli
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lolli!
Hopefully some icing and elevation will help with the swelling.
Take good care!
@Lolli
 
Hey thank you!! Doing really well and anxious for the magical 3 month mark!

So of course I have what I believe is very typical numbness on both knees and mostly on the outside half of the incision on each knee. Is that something that is usually permanent for most?

My right knee surgery is 14 mos old and it’s ever bit as numb today as my 2 mos old knee…I am not a fan!
 
Crazy as it sounds, Lolli, for some, small areas have remained numb for a few years even. As an example, it happened with BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, Josephine, who had over 50 yrs experience in orthopedics. She shared that after her TKR she had an area of numbness for several years after a surgery, at some point finally forgetting about it. It came to mind around the time she was five years post op and she realized the area was no longer numb. I understand it may feel bothersome, but try not to worry about it and hopefully your OS will reassure you of the same at your next visit. I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Lolli
 
Is that something that is usually permanent for most?
I think how long the numbness lasts varies a great deal.

I had numbness outside my right knee, which was done in September 2021, for a long time although the area did seem to get smaller over time. Suddenly last June -- almost two years post-op -- I started having zingers again ( something I hadn't experienced since right after surgery). A few days later, I realized sensation had returned in parts of that long-numb area.

Our bodies are truly amazing!
 
Wow that really is amazing!!
Thanks y’all for your replies - always so encouraging!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the weekend and Happy Easter if you celebrate!
@Lolli
 
So of course I have what I believe is very typical numbness on both knees and mostly on the outside half of the incision on each knee. Is that something that is usually permanent for most
I think it does vary. At 16 months I still have a small patch that feels slightly different if I touch it. It is smaller than immediately post op and some sensation has returned- it is definitely not as numb as at the beginning. I really don't notice it unless I knock it accidentally ( like when my toddler grandson accidentally banged it with a plastic toy)- when it is more unpleasant than the other side. Like hitting your funny bone. I haven't had any zingers for about 3-4 months so I think this may be it now.
 
Yes the nerve pain and numbness are both really tough to deal with. And absolutely zero was said by doctors before surgery to let me know what’s coming which I think is so wrong. With my right knee I had a couple of weeks of feeling like my skin was on fire it burned so so bad. Thankfully I didn’t have that with my left knee. Just that excruciating sensitivity to anything touching it.

Thank you for replying!
 
absolutely zero was said by doctors before surgery to let me know what’s coming which I think is so wrong
Completely agree that this is wrong. And you aren't alone in this experience. Lots of others have commented that their surgeons didn't adequately prepare them for what to expect. Thankfully we have each other for information the doctors "forget" to share!

Hope you are doing well other than the numbness. My second knee was coming along wonderfully, until I overdid things a week ago and now have some new swelling and stiffness. Back to icing and elevating in the evenings!

:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom