Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lolli’s Right TKR

Many of us struggle with hip and back pain during our TKR recoveries, @Lolli.

My surgeon explained it this way: Prior to surgery, as our knees deteriorate, our bodies make adjustments to ease the pain. These changes are subtle and, because they occur slowly, we don't even notice that we are favoring the leg or limping or splaying our foot out to the side. We live with "bad alignment" for so long that, when the knee is fixed and our alignment is corrected, we develop issues in our backs, hips, legs and even ankles as our bodies compensate for the changes.

Like you, my TKR made one leg longer than the other because my OS had to straighten my badly bowed leg during the surgery. But, at almost 2 years out, I don't even notice it any longer and the back and hip pain is gone.

It does get better. It just takes time for our bodies to completely adjust to the new alignment created by the surgery.

:console2:
 
Your chiropractor should be able to give you adjustments to ease your sciatica. I've had a tipped pelvis all my life and regular visits help keep me going. Also try putting a tennis ball right under the pain and roll on it just a bit in that area. You can also ice/heat it ... whatever works best for you. Argh! It's so frustrating.
 
Well I ended up having L3,4,5 laminectomy last Monday because of compression that an April MRI disclosed. Never ever had back issues. But I do think things change after a TKR especially if they’ve had to fix a bit of bow leggedness! At 6 months now my knee is still a stiff and sometimed a little sore. 6-12 mos eh? Once my back heals, I guess at 75, I’m good to go!! All the best Lolli
 
I am now 10 days post op and so miserable. I thought being the second go round it’d somehow be easier but it’s not. This knee is reacting very differently than my right did.
I’m experiencing itchy areas from time to time that last 1 1/2-2 hours. Little nerve zings thst are driving me crazy.
Any suggestions on what to do to relieve the itchiness?
 
I am so sorry you are having so much pain with your recent TKR. Are you icing and elevating enough? How about being too active? We always say that no two knees are the same, even on the same body. You, unfortunately, are an example of that. Try cutting back on your activities, and increasing your icing and elevating. That should help with your pain.
 
Is the itching on the incision? If it’s on the incision, it might be related to the skin healing up and will probably go away pretty soon. If it’s not on the incision, does your dressing have any adhesive that you might be reacting to?
 
Yes I’m icing a lot and elevating in an adjustable bed.
I don’t feel like I’m doing too much - walking around the house 3x a day besides bathroom trips and doing some gentle stretching. I’ve cancelled the home pt after two visits because even after I explained I’m not wanting to do movements that cause actual she continued having me do things rocking back and forth side to side or front to back. I was not happy.

The flare ups of itchiness in random areas on my leg is what is bothering me the most.
 
The flare ups of itchiness in random areas on my leg is what is bothering me the most.
Ugh...miserable. If you haven't already, try icing the itchy areas, it may help.
Best Wishes as you're healing!
 
I did do the icing and it definitely made for some relief and now it seems I’m all done with it and I’m sooo glad!
 
How long was everyone on a walker before graduating to a cane?
Today is 3 weeks since surgery and I’m on a cane. At least for indoors.
 
Hi Lolli,
That varies from person to person. Some use it for a week, or two, some for three weeks and some for even longer. We use the walker for stability and normally begin transitioning once our balance is good and we're not walking with an abnormal gait. Starting out by practicing indoors is wise, then once you're feeling confident enough you can use it outdoors / away from home.

Many also find that carrying the cane when they're no longer using it, I'm speaking in the early weeks or months, helps signal to others to give you some space. Also, I kept my cane it in my car for the first couple months after I was no longer using it, just in case I ever felt l needed it, but thankfully I didn't.

Heel -toe, heel-toe and away she goes! :wink: :thumb:
A great weekend to you!
@Lolli
 
Outside, I was still on the walker for 6 weeks. In the house, about 2-3 weeks. I found myself taking off and walking without it inside. As long as I was close to something I could grab hold of, I was fine without it in the house after then.
 
5 weeks outside for me. Stopped using it in the house earlier but I don’t remember exactly when. Then I went straight to nothing and skipped the cane. I would carry a cane if I expected to be walking on unlevel ground.
 
Ok thank you for your replies. It feels good to be able to touch base with you guys to know how I’m doing!
 
I did my RTKR December 29, 2022 and I was curious is it common to still have some slight tenderness just above the knee right about where they began the incision? I also have some tightness in bending my knee / nothing painful just somewhat tight at about 120 degrees… just wondered if I’m normal-ish or not lol
 
I don't think there is anything to worry about. Of course, if it gets worse, be sure and call your doctor. Since you had your latest knee replaced that first one had to take on most of the work. That, more than likely, angered it. Baby it for a few days to see if it gets better. You can ice and elevate it along with your newest TKR.
 
I agree that as long as it's not getting worse it's likely from having to work harder.
My arthritic R knee got much worse from supporting my initial L TKA, and the I developed some minor soreness and tightness with my nearly year old L TKA from it having to support my R TKA!
 
I had a lot of improvement in my second year, and I only had one done, so I would think you’ll see that, too, with your first knee. :flwrysmile:
 
Is it your knee or the bottom of your quadriceps muscle? I had muscle pain there for quite a while.
 
Yes it’s definitely my quad! You always hear it takes a full year to be completely healed so I’ve wondered about the lingering tenderness when I rest my left ankle on it to say put a sock on for example. Neither the tenderness nor tight feeling have worsened since my RTKR it’s just there. The tightness isn’t really painful and doesn’t impede walking or stair climbing. I just would have thought it’d be looser after a year.
 
Back
Top Bottom