THR Live Man (Still) Limping

Hope all is going well with your recovery.
About to hit your one month anniversary...guessing those thigh muscles still remember all that trauma but hopefully that hip pain is a thing of the past.
Hope you have good week. Onward and upward
 
Hope all is going well with your recovery.
About to hit your one month anniversary...guessing those thigh muscles still remember all that trauma but hopefully that hip pain is a thing of the past.
Hope you have good week. Onward and upward
Thanks for thinking of me @Mojo333, it was indeed 4 weeks ago tomorrow that I went under the knife/saw.
I think I’m progressing ok, although its a little difficult to gauge exactly where I am or where I should be at this stage, but at least I don’t (knowingly) have any major issues at this juncture. I guess I will find out more tomorrow at my 4 week physio assessment. I’m moving about well on the mandated 2 crutches, the use of which may be reviewed in said 4 week assessment if I’m lucky, fingers crossed!
 
Hi @Strod, good to hear you are doing well. I envied you your dip in the hydrotherapy pool last week. I am cleared to go swimming but have to convince myself that I can climb in and out!
I'm sure you will be glad to get rid of the crutches once you get the go-ahead - good luck with the physio assessment tomorrow.
 
Top of the morning to you all.

Good news from the 4 week physio assessment is that I’m down to 1 crutch around the home. However, I’m still advised to use 2 crutches for another week when outside, seems like extra contingency to ensure stability now winter conditions are setting in and additional support for ongoing bone growth when walking longer etc.

For evaluation the physio had me perform various exercises, walk with 2 crutches, walk with 1 crutch, traverse stairs unaided / without crutches etc. I was also subject to them testing the strength in my leg in various positions (e.g. resist the physio pushing my leg to gauge strength from behind, side, front) when either standing or laying prone on the bench/couch. They were very pleased with the strength attained following the home exercise regime, so that is a positive. So pleased in fact I’ve been given additional, harder, exercises to perform at home over the next 2 weeks and advised to increase walking distance.

The not so good news following my exploits is that I now ache like an achey thing on an achey day. There was also an interesting but pain free click/clunk sensation around the hip in one of the lateral strength tests when I was laid prone on the bench/couch, I’m hoping that is nothing to worry about. Whilst I will walk today (with crutches), I think I will studiously ignore the exercises until the aching has subsided.

i now wait for my next OS consultation to confirm when I can drive, but I can live with that.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing very well!
So pleased in fact I’ve been given additional, harder, exercises to perform at home over the next 2 weeks and advised to increase walking distance.
As you have already experienced - these exercises will only result in aches and pains. Walking is really all that is needed to strengthen that leg and hip area.
 
All positive news there Strod fantastic that your recovery is going so well.
Also very wise to listen to your body with regards to exercise. If it hurts don't do it and as you are doing give time to recover afterwards :0)
I have been walking a lot more this week with a walking stick and like you very achey afterwards, icing in the afternoons has helped with it so make sure you get those ice packs out again.
Not sure about the clunk-click noise! My sister has both her hips THR and in the early days one of her hips had a loud squeak which drove her nuts... thankfully after 3 months the noise stopped, hopefully yours will also :0)
 
Strod,

We went under the knife same day! So interesting to read the completely different recoveries. My bruising was all on the inside of my leg, had swelling for a couple of days, very few painkillers - not from being obstinate but because I truly didn’t have pain. I am using a cane - my only “pain”/ache is stepping forward. I can work in my small kitchen leaning full weight on either leg no problem. It is those steps that give me grief.
PT gave me some exercises to warm the muscles before walking that are helping. I went to a meeting at my office Monday. I was driven there, only 10 minutes away, stayed a couple of hours in a boardroom on my cushion and home. I was totally exhausted.
I sleep on my back propped around with pillows although my OS gives no restrictions other than no outward motion of operated leg until 6 week check up. I just can’t get comfy on my side right now.
Oh...and I still have a terrible limp...

I bought a Fitbit bracelet that tracks steps but also vibrates every hour..that is my cue to get off my butt and move. I am working from home and can easily get lost and forget to get up. I also have tried to beat the steps from the day before to keep me on my toes.

I went into this thinking my eyes were wide open - they were not! It is harder than I expected but I see progress and know all will be so much better down the road. Reading so many stories has been a great help in this recovery process! There are some great caring people in here!

A wonderful day to all..
 
Last edited:
Very common. Muscles and soft tissues still need to firm up again around the joint. Just give this time. In most cases this feeling eases on its own.
Pretty much exactly what the physio said at the time, she also felt it given she was pushing down on my leg as I was resisting her in the lateral leg raise position whilst laying on the couch. It’s the only time I’ve experienced the sensation since the operation, so it must be directly related.

Anyway, the new hip still seems to be working ok, went out for a short walk with SWMBO and the dogs today, according to the Fitbit I clocked up about 4500 steps without issue or discomfort. So far, so good...
 
Sounds like your recovery is going well @Strod
Did that massive bruise disappear completely yet? That was a doozy!
Wishing you continued healing and a great weekend.
 
Sounds like your recovery is going well @Strod
Did that massive bruise disappear completely yet? That was a doozy!
Wishing you continued healing and a great weekend.
Hi @Layla, thankfully the bruising was pretty much gone 2 weeks or so after the operation, it cleared up surprisingly well. Still popping a mini aspirin daily though, just in case there is any outside chance of residual clots floating about somewhere in there.
Hope is well with you and have a cracking weekend!
 
Good you are easing on the PT.
Plenty of time to strengthen and tone after that trauma your leg has been through heals some.
Finally resigning myself to give mine the time to heal first, I'm able to handle this busy time of the year at my work for the first time in years with renewed energy and NO hip pain.
Giving my legs time to heal has now let me get back to active and almost normal.
 
Hi @Strod hope your 6 week check-up goes well and that you are cleared to resume normal life.
 
I have now undergone my 6 week review with both the Physio and OS.

The physio assessment consisted of various exercises, strength tests, walking with and without crutches etc. Thankfully, all went well and resulted in my being released from further regularly scheduled physio sessions. I should now only need further physio assistance if the ongoing recovery develops related mobility or joint/soft tissue issues. I have been released from using crutches when at home and I’m down to one crutch when outside the house for at least another week or two. This is for both stability (if required) and to act as a sign to other pavement users.

However, this “release” from the scheduled physio sessions is a double edged sword, given the physio has now doubled my daily home exercise regime targets right up until I hit the 6 month post-op mark. Every silver lining and all that…:)

In the OS consultation, the major check was prosthetic placement/alignment verified via X-Ray. Whilst it’s still too early to confirm the extent of bone growth knitting with the prosthetic, the X-Rays confirmed that the prosthetic had not “sunk” into the femur, is a good fit and has remained in the designated position etc. Phew! The OS also confirmed that he is in agreement with the physio and happy for me to start reducing my reliance on crutches as I feel comfortable to do so (no rush, I may also invest in a folding walking stick for contingency).

Excitingly, for me at least after this period of semi-incarceration, the OS confirmed he is happy for me to resume driving, predicated on my being able to competently perform an emergency stop using my operated right leg.
Disappointingly, my other half has declined to be the errant jay walking pedestrian “target” on whom I can test my ability to stop the vehicle pre-collision. This is despite the car having an automatic “intelligent emergency braking” feature, it seems she just has a complete lack of trust in both myself and the technology! :snork:

Suppose I should say that I commenced a phased return to work last week, reduced hours working from home. I may attempt to visit the office a couple of times next week for a change of scene and social interaction.

Other observations, I can now go to sleep on either side but may wake up later with the operated side aching a bit (nothing bad, just an annoyance). I will also need to learn to walk properly again, to try and eradicate the limp my brain/body defaulted to whilst living for years with the arthritis.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Strod hope your 6 week check-up goes well and that you are cleared to resume normal life.
Thanks @EmEm, I only saw your kind message after I had submitted my 6 week update.

I hope all is still going well for you!
 
Great news! @Strod
All great progress. Keep it up.
Try to concentrate on heel-toe walking. It's what my PT
recommended to get rid of a limp. Heel strikes the ground first then toes.
I think you'll notice a difference. It's something I felt I really needed to concentrate
on after walking improperly for so long.
Wishing you a great rest of the week!
 
All sounds good @Strod, I’m sure you are glad to be able to drive again. I started a phased return to work at 5 weeks which was easy because I work at home. I am gradually building up the time and worked for the whole morning today. It’s 8 weeks since my surgery and I’m very pleased with the recovery so far.
 
i also had the glue and dissolvable stitches. While I wasn't supposed to take a long bath until the 2 week point (really enjoyed that bubble bath), I was allowed to shower the day after surgery and didn't even have a dressing/bandage after the second day.

It struck me reading through this thread how much having a hip replacement is like having a child. You have all of this lead up and then go into the hospital where your life changes forever. The sleep deprivation makes you forget what life was like before. It takes you much longer to go somewhere, you have to take more paraphernalia with you and you have to consider whether the outing is appropriate. At some point along the way, your new baby hips begin to mature and you sleep better, don't have to take as many contraptions and don't have to take as much care but there will always be concerns about whether your baby hips should be doing everything they're wanting to do.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom