THR Live Man (Still) Limping

Hi @Strod
Sounds like you're doing well! A change of scenery is needed once in awhile as long as you recognize your
limitations.

I remember on Day 11 of my recovery it happened spontaneously that about 6 family members ended up at our house for dinner. Needless to say I wasn't playing Hostess With The Mostess. I'm quite sure I was in pjs, or sweats and a pony tail. About as good as it got in those early days.

I recall it was one of the first days I was really trying to graduate from the walker to the cane. Between the company, noise, mess and trying to weave around my house with a cane I wore myself out. I was exhausted, not even kidding. But I guess it was a good, fulfilling tired.....so I get it. It's great you had a good time!

Let the healing continue....best wishes for a good week.
 
Hi @

Always good to get out and about to relieve the 'Cabin Fever!' That's for sure :0)
It's crazy to think that an outing we once wouldn't give a second thought about has now become such a major thing! organizing chairs, cushions, toilet seats (you are lucky on that score ;0) seems like a mammoth task! But well worth it in my book. And the wonderful thing... it's only for a short period of time :0)
I actually got excited going to the store with hubby yesterday to do a bit of food shopping!!! a chore I usually hate! but there I was elated to be shuffling around the isles on my crutches ha ha
Got to keep up the humour and smiles to get us through this :0)
 
Hey @Strod. Can't wait till you get to drop the limping.
You know we are going to beat you about the head with the "take it easy on that new hip" but yes, some normalcy is necessary for your soul sometimes.
I paid for some over activity several times so just be careful. Your body will definitely tell you when you have pushed it too far, usually after you stop...not while doing.
All in all, you seem to be doing super for a few weeks out.
Don't blow it!!! We are rooting for you.:friends:
 
Yup it's good to get out. I stayed home the first month. My wife is a little thing and would hurt herself to help me if something went sideways. So for me it was easier to just stayed put.
 
Hi @Strod, pleased to see you got out for a while. Lunch out and a nap sounds like a perfect way to spend Saturday. My first trip was to Waitrose for coffee and cake which was enough to feel part of the real world. I progressed to M&S and Sainsbury’s for flat places to practice walking. Never before have supermarkets been so appealing! Warning though, avoid going when little people might be on the loose.
 
Whilst I appreciate each individual recovery and outcome may be unique, are there any general guidelines/advice for returning to motorcycle riding?

I have an Adventure style motorcycle with a fairly high seat height, so this won’t be an option unless I have the requisite mobility in my right leg to enable safe mounting and dismounting. Realistically, I think spring/early summer 2018 may be a viable target timeframe, does that sound somewhat reasonable? I’ve no desire to risk a winter return for obvious reasons.

We also have a ‘step through’ Vespa scooter which may be an option fill a gap come spring. Ultimately, I will let my body and the medical experts guide me here.
 
Of course you will know more then, but I had terrible time getting on my ATV...not sport...Rubicon, very wide and tall for me to get leg over as I'm only 5'3" tall. Didn't get on because of the jarring until 4 months out and threw my leg over like a 20 year old gymnast, lol. I was amazed.
Still cautious about rough rides, jarring, hitting holes, etc seems risky for all that bone healing...
Same for rough seas for fishing trips in smaller boat.
Just because you can.....well, you know. Don't want them to have to revise this thing if can be avoided.
You will get to it, you will know.
 
Last edited:
@Strod, I couldn’t agree with you more! I HATE sitting around. The confines of my house make me cranky, but boy was I glad to get out of the hospital. After 2 weeks I went to get my staples out and it was so good to be out. I made my husband drive me to the beach and just sit for a while! A taste of freedom!

Yup, I had to rest when I got home too.
 
We also have a ‘step through’ Vespa scooter which may be an option fill a gap come spring. Ultimately, I will let my body and the medical experts guide me here.

I imagine the Vespa would be a good mode of transport due to the seating position. Not having to stretch or straddle anything. Just don't get your fishtails caught up in anything.:vespa:

@Mojo333, I'm so jealous of your toys (Rubicon).
 
Minor update, just back from hospital having had a 2 week wound check and physio session. All going well, now have a hydrotherapy appointment on Monday morning followed by an appointment with the OS that afternoon so he can evaluate my progress. So far, so good...
 
Hi @Strod
Great news, you sound well! If you don't mind me asking, did your OS recommend hydrotherapy? Or was it physio? Many here...including myself, were cautioned against submersion for up to three months after surgery.
In my case my OS recommended no baths, hot tub, lakes, pools until 3 months post op. I guess since you're not even three weeks out that concerns me for you. You don't want to risk infection. Something to ponder.......
Debbie Downer, signing off
 
now have a hydrotherapy appointment on Monday morning followed by an appointment with the OS that afternoon so he can evaluate my progress.
If you just had your 2 week wound check I would definitely check with your surgeon before any water activities. There is a major risk of infection and in most cases no water activities are recommended until the wound is totally healed.
 
Whilst I appreciate each individual recovery and outcome may be unique, are there any general guidelines/advice for returning to motorcycle riding?
Can't say much about post op but as my hips got worse I found riding my Royal Enfield very uncomfortable I resorted to lowering the foot rests this help a bit but couldn't go round corners without them grounding out ! I did find that my Harley sportster 48 with forward foot controls was more comfortable but only on short journeys so have given up for winter and hope that by spring I will be fixed must admit a scooter looked a comfortable option . Hoping that post op with decent recovery riding shouldn't be a problem.
 
Hi @Strod
Great news, you sound well! If you don't mind me asking, did your OS recommend hydrotherapy? Or was it physio? Many here...including myself, were cautioned against submersion for up to three months after surgery.
In my case my OS recommended no baths, hot tub, lakes, pools until 3 months post op. I guess since you're not even three weeks out that concerns me for you. You don't want to risk infection. Something to ponder.......
Debbie Downer, signing off

If you just had your 2 week wound check I would definitely check with your surgeon before any water activities. There is a major risk of infection and in most cases no water activities are recommended until the wound is totally healed.

Hi @Layla, @Jaycey, thanks for your feedbck, that is indeed something to ponder and in no way a ‘Debbie Downer’. I saw the physio today, who recommended the hydrotherapy session. I will meet with the OS on Monday afternoon.

Interestingly, I’ve already had one 30 minute hydrotherapy session, which took place on the second day (the Friday) after the THR operation (on the Wednesday). However, the incision wound (glued with dissolvable stitches) was covered by a waterproof dressing at the time. I was not the only THR patient undergoing such soon after the procedure.

As of the wound check today, the current in situ waterproof dressing was removed and the wound was then dressed by what will be my last non-waterproof dressing, which I am to remove after a shower tomorrow morning (Saturday). Thereafter, I will not have any dressing in place. Whether a waterproof dressing will be applied for the the hydro session on Monday, I know not.

I may drop an inquisative email to the OS to verify he’s happy with the hydro session positioned for Monday, but that said, it was his rapid recovery program which led to me being in the hydro pool a couple of days after the operation?
 
Last edited:
We have a waterproof dressing left over from the supply the hospital provided on discharge, I will put that on for tomorrow’s hydro session...
 
Good idea. Terrible infection stories I've seen related here...no testing fate for me.
Glad you are doing well.
 
Wish you wouldn't.....but if you insist.
Put on two waterproof bandages....No, put on five.
Then wrap your leg in plastic wrap.
Then a large garbage bag
Then you might be ok....
Happy all is well for you, we want it to stay that way. Do I sound like your mother yet?
@Strod
 
Reverting back to the hydrotherapy conundrum, I spoke to both the physio conducting the session I had yesterday and the OS later that same day.

The physio said she has been conducting hydrotherapy sessions with THR patients soon after surgery for over 10 years and is not aware of any infections being contracted as a consequence. The physio also believes that the water treatment for the hydrotherapy pool means it is cleaner/safer than having a bath at home. Obviously, I cannot attest to the accuracy of said comments.

The OS confirmed he supports the hydrotherapy approach to help regain mobility, subject to the preceding wound checks etc. His point being that the wound is effectively “dressed” by the medical glue used to seal it
(in conjunction with internal dissolvable stitches), thus not requiring external dressings earlier in the healing process, with the wound not being of particular risk to infection from the hydrotherapy pool. In the consultation I still had the waterproof dressing which we applied at home prior to hydrotherapy, which the OS removed to inspect my incision wound to confirm that no external dressing is required for hydrotherapy or otherwise.

However, I do appreciate that opinions/medical approaches may vary significantly on this subject for a variety of reasons, hence I guess that you have to go with what you feel is the best course of action for your scenario based on medical advice / research etc. I guess there is probably no definitively right/wrong or one size fits all answer...

I do still have my fingers crossed though! :)
 
Last edited:
I'm glad you got clarification and I know that I would've loved to have done some water work earlier on. Josephine and others did advise me that due to the lack of gravity can be susceptible to overdo...so just edit yourself I'm guessing and see how you are after some sessions.
Different surgeons, different advice...guessing no rights or wrongs in a lot of cases.
I tended to work with an overabundance of caution - normally not my nature - but though the experience was lots of fun...don't want to do it again:heehee:
 
You are so right @Strod
Decisions, decisions....
It's difficult to discern at times which way to proceed.
I always felt that in choosing my OS I was also making a choice
to follow his protocol, whatever it may be in relation to.
When I first found this site I was surprised to read all the information about overdoing PT.
Naturally it didn't make any sense, at the time. But in following the BS way myself and reading
of countless others who did, with good results, I became a believer.
As long as you are aware of the benefits and possible risks of any given scenario......the choice is yours.
Wishing you continued recovery and a great week!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom