THR Linette333 is in recovery<

@linette333 I'm sure they were being complimentary.
@fanny23 Your post made me giggle, and I'll bet your friends mean you really do look nice. ♥️
 
Yup it just occurred to me we aren't 20 even though we boomers like to think we are so I would assume anyone over a certain age gets stiffer than when we were younger and then all irons out and even before we had arthritic issues.My Pt wants me to walk like I was 20. I dont want to be 20 and how do I know if I ever walked like that. Just because we have new hips doesn't mean we are 20 again.I think in retrospect we hope that these new prosthetics gives us the fountain of youth. I don't think so. I think it gives us a new way of living and maybe we should seize that. Just my take.
How I agree! Such wise words @mikeycat! And @Barbaraj ! I must remember!
I was working until 2 years ago, and going on trips on the train exploring, and going to the theatre etc - but always full of painkillers and often struggling. If I look back honestly there were years e.g. being in agony with what I thought was sciatica in Northumberland, and walking miles round the Roman remains at Chester and wondering how I'd make it back to the station, and popping pills in the staff room at lunchtime. How silly I was to keep going I think now!
But I'm 70 and very content now to be largely painfree and hopefully increasingly mobile but realistically so. In my 20s I was teetering on platform heels and wrenching my ankle a couple of times! I've never run anywhere except for a bus and only ever walk to get places. I'm sure many of the problems I still have like dry sensitive skin, insomnia, dry mouth, allergies, mood swings, are probably part of the ageing process and something I need to deal with separately and accept if they can't be sorted. But I'm so grateful for my new hips.
 
Oh, I remember those awful platform heels! So many teetering moments. Lovely thing about aging is that comfort is always the number one concern when shopping for shoes. Sure, it is nice is they aren't too boat-like in shape, but as I'm sitting here writing in my extremely comfortable but not all that fashionable shoes I am grateful that I don't care anymore. And @linette333 choosing to believe that "you're looking well" is a compliment and not a snarky comment (unless said comment was made by a known snarky individual) is a positive choice--an should be accepted and appreciated. I think being able to stand straight again which often means tucking in your stomach, squaring your shoulders and walking with greater ease, will mean you are truly looking better.
 
Oh dear, @fanny23 - and there was I thinking they were being complimentary! :snork:

That's good! Why take a compliment any other way. If the "giver" is lying, being sarcastic or patronizing, that's on them.
Stand tall and walk confidently...you're doing great and you're on your way. :walking:
Have a nice evening!
@linette333
 
I had my second session with the physio on Monday. She took me through various movements and stretches, then went straight to the 2 points which are painful and gave me a massage. I was then pain-free for the next 48 hours!! Amazing! My problem appears to be to do with the piriformis amongst other things, along with tightness. Of course the pain and discomfort has now returned, but it definitely gives me hope that it's not permanent. I have stretches to do at home and also the tennis ball massage that I have heard others mention on here.
I go back in 2 weeks, but really I need one of those massages every other day!
 
Wow, great results--48 hours with no pain?!! That's remarkable! Glad to hear you have some home exercises to do before your next session and, if it were me, I'd try to do those as often as directed, daily if that's what's indicated. I did home exercises daily after I got into PT following first surgery, and continued with them daily up to the day before surgery #2. I griped about them, of course, but I was really firm with myself that carving out about a half hour daily to do these exercises really did help after surgery #1 and then helped me stay in reasonably good shape in preparation for surgery #2. I keep reading about everyone getting a massage and saying how helpful it was. Once I'm back in PT, next Tuesday, I should really ask about that as an option. Sounds like it really worked for you, @linette333, and so many others as well.
 
Oh so wonderful massage helped. Makes me think I should have opted for this instead of what I did. I am so happy you were 48 hours pain-free. Wasn't that just splendid. Have a great week-end linette333.
 
It's a special day....your Three Month Anniversary.
Happy Anniversary!
I hope you're having a great Saturday. All the best as you move forward in your recovery. :loveshwr:
@linette333
 
It seems to be time for a three month update!
Before I had this surgery, I imagined that by three months I would be fully recovered - why I thought this would be the case I don't know, but I suppose I listened to too many exaggerated recovery stories. However whilst I am certainly not fully recovered, I have come a long way.
I am driving, have resumed all the activities I did pre-op and I can do them without that arthritis pain. I am walking well and using the cane less and less. When I first get up in the morning, I am still stiff and limping a bit, but it loosens and I am definitely walking without a limp now. When I think back to how limited my life had become pre-op and how much pain I was in constantly, I am amazed at the transformation.
I can lie on both sides now, although I haven't actually slept on either - it's just too uncomfortable. I seem to have got used to back-sleeping now! I can go downstairs normally, but not upstairs yet.
My only real problem is the piriformis syndrome on my left side - very painful! I am seeing a physio and doing exercises and stretches daily - I remain hopeful.
Meanwhile I am building up my walking distances and strength.
Whilst I still have a long way to go, this surgery has already given me so much of my life back and I am so grateful!:roseshwr:
 
Is yours the "perfect" three month check in, @linette333? Nope, but it certainly sounds positive overall. To be able to resume the activities of daily living without that miserable arthritic pain must be such a blessing and it sounds like you're over the proverbial hump and can see and appreciate a really bright future ahead. I think working with the therapist on that piriformis, and continuing to work on strengthening and flexibility will pay off. Like you, when I get up in the morning I am stiff and move slowly to start and a bit awkwardly. But it does loosen up, as you've commented. I also am turning--horror of horrors--into a back sleeper which I still don't like, but sleeping on either side isn't comfortable and back sleeping feels okay and the normal position for sleep these days. I think lying on my back somehow contributes to morning stiffness but that may just be an illusion. Anyway, you're doing great and although you have a way to go, you ARE getting there every day Cheers, and happy Sunday.
 
@linette333 Happy 3 Month Anniversary! You're doing really well, had a few bumps along the way but sounds like you're on your way to happy healing! Isn't is just amazing to not have the arthritis pain anymore! You're a month ahead of me so it gives me comfort watching threads of you and others that have taken this journey before me. Have a great Sunday!
:flwrysmile:
 
:hi: Happy Monday to you.
What a wonderful update! You've come far, are doing well and continue to enjoy progress. You also have a grateful heart! You're driving, walking well without pain or a limp and engaging in all of the activities you enjoyed pre-op. Since you now realize a full recovery does not happen within three months, but more like a full year....you're in a good place. Hopefully the exercises and stretches you're doing for Piriformis will ease your symptoms soon. Thanks for taking the time to update. I hope you have a wonderful week as you continue the journey!
@linette333
 
Hi @linette333 , your 3 month and mine sound remarkably similar. It's soooo amazing, isn't it? Sure, there is always s niggle or two somewhere that needs attention, but we're well on our way! I'm looking forward to 6 months for the next milestone check, but know that there will be 6 MORE months after that to enjoy recovery revelations. So onwards and upwards, my friend. Celebrate your successes. Happy hipaversay!!! :cheers:
 
I am so happy to hear you are recovering so well and with such a positive attitude--any to spare? Seems like you are making steady upward progress. The PT will help with the piriformis mine did and I don't suffer from that pain anymore. And here's the thing about back sleeping. I was allowed to sleep on my sides from the get go (having bilateral) but chose not to. When I started to sleep on both sides I found I slept far worse. I became used to back sleeping and this turning thing was disrupting my sleep--so who knows for you.
 
Thank you so much for the supportive comments @mikeycat - very much appreciated, especially when you have so much stress going on in your own life at the moment. It's not always easy to maintain a positive attitude, but I am doing my best!
 
Happy 3 months @linette333 ! Sounds like you are making progress and finding out what is causing the pain. That is great as not knowing is horrible. I must admit I still sleep on my back often as I am quite used to it now and on the plus side its supposed to keep wrinkles at bay as one doesnt scrunch the face up. Every cloud and all that :heehee:. If I do sleep on my side I use a pillow between my legs but sometimes wake a bit achey so often dont bother. I was given a golf ball for massages, it really got into the muscle and did help to loosen it I think. Still have that darn ball in my bedside table :rofsign:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom