Guest viewing is limited

THR Linette333 is in recovery<

Yup it just occurred to me we aren't 20 even though we boomers like to think we are so I would assume anyone over a certain age gets stiffer than when we were younger and then all irons out and even before we had arthritic issues.My Pt wants me to walk like I was 20. I dont want to be 20 and how do I know if I ever walked like that. Just because we have new hips doesn't mean we are 20 again.I think in retrospect we hope that these new prosthetics gives us the fountain of youth. I don't think so. I think it gives us a new way of living and maybe we should seize that. Just my take.
 
But I was walking and active for a full day less than a year ago. Surely it's not unreasonable to hope to get back to that? :beg:
Of course, it's not unreasonable! I average 13,000 steps per day. It takes time to build up to that and I'm more than 9 years post-THR. I know it's hard, but try to be patient. You have all the time in the world to reach your goals. Look at how far you have come already. There's no reason in the world that you should not continue to progress, as long as you can avoid the ODIC.


Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 
@linette333 I agree. A year ago I never even thought about my hips. They worked great. Where did it come from? Some people struggle for years with hip pain and put off surgery, but when you are blind sighted by it, and because the good days are still so fresh in your mind, like "this is what I was doing last year at this time and no hip pain". You just want to go back to that blissful place. I was just telling my granddaughter, remember when I was out and about and I playfully would run and jump in the air and click my heels together in the air, yah well that ain't happening anymore. I was really good at it and they tried to copy me. lol. We should get back to a new normal but for me it will never be my old normal.
And when I was out walking the other day, two boys jumped out of my way cause of my hiking poles and I said thanks and complained about my hip surgery. They said, "But you are walking". Gave me something to think about. Then I went back to complaining....to myself.:shrug:
Human nature.:snork:
 
I am sitting on ice packs this evening and doing deep breathing to cope with aching calves and groins - all caused by standing up for 3/4 hour weighing out portions of raw chicken (yuck) for our dog for the next month and intermittently disinfecting everything. It is so reassuring to read that you @linette333 and others have the same issues when doing too much, thank goodness for Bonesmarties!
 
Oh by no stretch of the imagination did I mean not doing what we did a few short years ago . I too question my decision as I was walking albeit with difficulty but no pain. I was a marathon runner but I realize I will not be doing that nor do I want to. My goals are simple walking for a stretch, hiking on straight trails, carrying my groceries and enjoying life with ease and no pain.
 
I’m in the same boat. I’m 3 months out and still really sore when I get up. I’m still doing PT. Seeing dr today, 3 month follow up. I’m trying to be normal, walking, going to gym but I get so sore. But we need to remember what it was like before the surgery. Good news, once I get going, it gets better.
 
As I seem to have done nothing but whine and moan on here recently, I thought I would record a couple of positives for a change! :SUNsmile:
Two small but significant milestones achieved today:
1. I walked downstairs normally without any pain several times ( still hurts to go up though)
2. I rolled over onto my non-operated side without the horrendous pain of a few weeks ago. Still can't lie on it for more than a couple of minutes, but I was amazed!
So today I am trying to focus on the positives! :yay:
 
Wonderful update @linette333 ! Sometimes it is so much easier to focus on the negative so its great that you have been able to walk downstairs and not get so much pain rolling over. I still cant lay on my op side for too long, it seems to pull at the scar but sure it will come. Enjoy all your successes :flwrysmile:
 
I agree with all the above, being one week out, AGAIN, it is that twisty path of recovery I saw a picture of somewhere.
The mornings are the worst, because I sleep on my back without moving a muscle and said muscles are stiff. I have pretty much arthritis everywhere which i will deal with long after the hip is healed.
I agree with @Barbaraj above that there is no set in stone schedule of recovery, you just test the limits and if it doesnt work out, backpedal a little and take it easy and try again.
When folks talk about the fabulous pain free life they have gotten to I think its meant to be encouraging but at times it's like WHEN will it happen for ME. Human nature, and agreed, it is frustrating! But were all headed in the right direction and that's what matters in the end.
 
Well, having the body and walk of a 20 year old woman doesn't seem that appealing to me, either. I'd just like to get back to being able to walk and do low-impact activities without pain and, I agree, we should all be able to set that as a reasonable and achievable goal. Focusing on the positives is a great way to proceed, @linette333, but you also get to acknowledge (and whine about) the slow and inconsistent pace of recovery. This hip surgery and recovery is not a picnic, but we all are just plodding along the same path. I can't say I'm enjoying the journey, but it is what it is and I'm choosing to believe that I will have a level of recovery which will restore a full and active, age appropriate (not the life of a 20 year old...shudder...I do not want to be 20 again) life. We ARE going to get there, and as @ahipgma notes, that is what matters in the end.
 
@linette333 great news rolling onto side! That took me a LONG time to do without aches. My op side incision was very tender till just recently. Going onto the other side (pillow between knees) was easier but op side of hip started to ache very quickly. After several weeks of tossing and turning my op side isn't painful at all, but I can't stay on either side for more than about 30 minutes. Sigh. Lots of tossing and turning and pillow shifting is still going on ( much to hubby's grief) but it's getting better each week. Keep the faith, we'll be back to side sleeping at some point! :sleeep:
 
Congrats on your achievements! :yay:
You'll get there, it's just taking longer than you hoped it would.
Concentrating on the positives is a great idea because you are making progress.
Hang in there and enjoy the weekend!
@linette333
 
Good day, @linette333 I hope you're up and about and, perhaps, feeling a bit better--focusing on the positives when we first get up in the morning, being grateful for what we have achieved (despite the distance still to go) can set the tone for your day and put a wee bit of extra spring in your step no matter how faltering it might be. Have a good day, knowing it's one day further along in hip recovery!
 
Like @linette333 I think I should try to think of the positives in my recovery ( at 6 months!). I can walk up and down stairs normally most of the time, I can walk round the garden without a stick and I can sleep on either side fairly comfortably. Like others I am very stiff in the mornings, I still have a good deal of pain in my calves, groin and lower back and I run out of energy quite quickly. Hopefully these will also improve during the next few weeks and months!
.
 
Plenty of positives there @fanny23 ! When we were expecting to be so much further on by now, it's not always easy to see just how far we have come, is it? I am always surprised when people comment on how much better I look and how well I am doing - I really need to focus on that.
And so the journey continues ..... :whistle:
 
We are such critics of ourselves, aren't we @linette333? But focusing on how far we've actually come, and soaking up praise from folks who comment how much better we look and are doing, surely those should serve as mood boosters. Are you "there" yet? Nope, but you're definitely headed in the right direction. Remember, 2020 is going to be YOUR year! Have a great day.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom