Guest viewing is limited

MUA Limited ROM - CRPS

Hi @Wrangler The pain that comes with this surgery is not like any pain I have ever had. I wish you luck for the 14th and hope all goes well . I am not sure how a MuA works so cannot say but know that I had a threat from the pt during the second week home that my surgeon would do this if my flex did not improve. I was at the time leaving the hospital bending at 85. Not too long after it was 50, So much swelling no more bending. I was talking to my husband about this we were saying that when he broke his wrist it was not till his 5th week when the cast came off that they started to do pt on his wrist, It was allowed to mend for the 5 weeks and he asked why do they start so early should they not let it heal a bit first.

Wondering how a casted arm or whatever is left and still can with pt bend and a replacement does not get this time. Do not worry about what they will say I did and it just meant that I tried even harder and it bent even less with the swelling. I dread when they ask me to show them how far it will go back then try a little more can you go further. If I could do more would have done more when they first asked. So find push more it hurts so much and wonder why they need this I did not achieve full bending at first after the aggressive treatment and worry stayed with lots of working at it at 80,

I did not expect to gain more told that it was probably as far as it would bend. Now all healed will be 2 years in April bending as measured the other day at 115 just needed to be left alone walking and doing everyday stuff I need to do so the bend came when ready. I am happy you have your brother going with you. Do not let the surgeon play around with it making it painful it is obvious if it is painful you do not need anyone making it even more that way. I have been sick to but feeling better now hope you are feeling better to. All the best for you and your new knee and hope things get easier takes longer then we think it will but things will get better do not let anyone hurt you. . Holly
 
Hi Wrangler - glad to hear you are progressing! I know how frustrating it is to move along so slowly - I am in the same boat. I saw my OS this past week and was also concerned that he would poke and pull and hurt me, but he didn't do any of that. In fact, he didn't even measure my ROM and told me he didn't like getting too caught up in the numbers and was more interested in steady progress, even if it was slow. Hope all goes well!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi guys the cpm machine was torture they put me on it about 4 hours after surgery , it caused hip pain as my leg hadnt been straight for 5 years and there it was being stretched and bent, I was also going to say dont forget they move alot of your ligaments tendons etc and muscles about when replacing the joint , so its not just the knee bones that have got to heal its all the surrounding connective stuff. Dont compare yourself to others either, some people have athletic injuries and some from illness, everyones different and so is there rate of healing, I think your doing awesome so dont be hard on yourself , infact your brave and commited, and sounds like you have a real postive mentality which can sometimes be half the battle, keep going, do what you feel you can ( its your body not the pt, doctors etc) and take your time. I hope all is good for you xxxx
 
@kneeper yes, I see my OS on the 14th. I am dreading the appointment. I am at 59 degrees and still experience immense pain when I try and push for more ROM. I am worried that the OS will 'play' with my knee to see what's going on. My brother is going to come to the appointment with me for moral support. I am going to be direct with my OS re: my expectations (NO PAIN).!
Good idea to have someone there for moral support. Some pain is normal when you try to bend, but it's kind of individual as to what is PAIN and what is pain, if you know what I mean.
How is your swelling? If my calculations are correct you are at about 6 weeks.
My PT used a super icing compression machine (Game REady i think was the brand name) that could really bring my swelling down. She'd measure before she put it on and after and there was a measureable difference in the size of my knee when she'd take it off. And I'd get a couple of degrees more after than before the icing session.
 
My swelling isn't too bad but my knee is still very stiff. I have had a horrible time with the pain. Unfortunately, I experience PAIN every time I try to get more ROM - tear spilling, nausea inducing PAIN. I have no idea why my pain is so extreme. I thought at this point in my recovery (over 6 weeks) it would have mellowed a bit. I have a cryo cuff at home, it's not as big as the Game Ready sleeve but I use it religiously. I use heat at the start of my pt appts and that seems to help ease the joint a bit.
I think I am going to ask to be referred to a pain management clinic/doctor.
 
Hi @Wrangler Just read your thread - thank your for sharing your ups and downs. I loved the excitement when you got the leg lift happening - well done!! I hope your visit to the OS goes well on 14th - let us know how you got on. Keep the faith - you will get there - Maggie x
 
@Wrangler my OS always checks my knee at follow up visits. He bends it to be sure its tracking ok, noted any tenderness and hard spots. It is similar to what my PT does. It never hurt. Good luck on your follow up visit.
 
Hmm. Well, you can have *internal* swelling that you don't notice with the naked eye. I'd think some of that stiffness is that. A lot of my daily pain came in the form of stiffness. What are you doing for pain meds?
Tear spilling pain doing your heel slides is not good. Some pain is normal, but not that.
You should know more after your OS appointment. Keep us posted.
 
I am both dreading and looking forward to my appointment now. I am hoping I can get some answers as I seem to be stuck under 60 degrees ROM. Tomorrow will mark 7 weeks post op. Two days ago my good knee started acting up and now I am walking like the bride of Frankenstein. When it rains it pours....

Despite this I have my chin up. I have read so many great threads here and trust that time will take care of me.

@kneeper it is swollen just not grossly swollen. ;) I am taking dilaudid - up to 4 mg every 8 hours. If I am icing and elevating I find I do not need it. I do take 1mg at bedtime and again at 3 or 4 in the morning. I take 2 mg before PT.
 
@Wrangler - well Bride of Frankenstein - that lets the imagination run riot... you still have your sense of humor with your worries and pain - good on you being able to laugh at yourself - way to go :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Keep moving - do what you can - don't get hooked up on numbers - chat soon Maggie x
 
Hi Wrangler - just wanted to pop in and say hello this morning! Hope you find some answers soon - I will be very interested to see what they say, as I am a slow healer, as well. When I look at my knee (4 weeks post-op) I do not see much swelling, but my ROM is still not great and I reach a certain point and it is literally like cement. I am still using my ice machine (I bought one and I LOVE it) religiously and still taking OxyContin & Oxycodone. I have my fingers crossed for you and hope the stiffness lets up a little today!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Remember that the swelling can be internal--it may not appear to be grossly swollen, but if there is fluid inside the knee, the stiffness and the lack of ROM can all be influenced by this.
 
don't get hooked up on numbers
Let the PT folks obsess with the #'s---they are a very quantitative lot.

Just take it a day at a time and do not worry---thee things can take longer than we would like them to. IF you focus on numbers, you will become even more frustrated---just focus on recovering.

Please keep us updated as to how the appointment went!
 
I am anxiously waiting for the news after your doctor appointment today. I am now at 11 weeks TKA and with extreme effort I can get to 105 . I have a doctors appointment Feb 5 th and he wants 120 ! I was stuck at 65 for several weeks and thought I would never improve but with time and dedication I'm at 105! I will be watching all day for your next post.
 
@Wrangler i am four days ahead of you and have the exact same issues. ROM is 105/20 , SL we know where my issue is. I start outpatient PT tomorrow and my Dr has not called with a refill on my meds. 10mg oxycodone. I am trying to bump down to hydrocodone this week. Don't you just want to do nothing but sleep on this oxy? Anyway, if he does not call with the refill soon I am going to cancel pt. I have a searing pain where my OA was and it has been there now for a week. PT said this was not a good sign, so now I am nervous. Does anyone else feel a lot of jumbling about of the hardware?
 
Hi @Wrangler, that swelling will eventually get better. I'm 16 weeks out and I still have internal swelling. This recovery we are on is for up to a year.
To put some of this in prospective ( my new word for the day ), my sister in law had her 4th kidney transplant about 10 months ago. When she was about a few weeks post op she was doing fantastic. Just a little pain here and there. We had a knee replaced. One of the most tough and painful procedure we can have. They go in with space suits on to do our surgery. For my sister in law it was the full scrubs and gear. Nothing like what we had. Our pain and stiffness is all part of this rodeo we are on. It will get better and we all will heal!! And I do know one thing, unless someone has gone through it they have absolutely no idea what we are going through. I love this site cos we are in this together. Helping and encouraging each of us.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom