MUA Limited ROM - CRPS

@Wrangler
I know it's hard! This recovery really is a test of patience.
Around the 4-week mark is what we call "The Dark Days of Recovery". You feel as if you've been recovering for ever and you want to do more, achieve more, but you body isn't ready yet for where your mind thinks it ought to be. You're also beginning to get a bit "stir crazy" from having to be mostly at home.

We understand, because we've been there, too. It will pass, though!
 
You're discovering that youth has little to do with your recovery. But like you said, you will get there.
Can you get your leg up at all--even 1 inch? With my first knee I started with only a little lift. With my second knee I had no trouble. Go figure.
Some people just have a quad that's snoozy :zzz: and all of a sudden one day, off you go. :)
 
Leg lift - nope, not even an inch. I am icing at the moment but will be doing my pt session soon. I will definitely give it a go again.
Thanks @Celle for the pep talk. I am feeling more optimistic today!
 
Snoozy quad then. :alarm:
 
Hi Wrangler, I'm just dropping in for a visit to your thread. That pain, I think, is related to the sleepy/offended quad phenomenon, for I had it, too. Your quadriceps will wake up, though it will likely remain sluggish for a while. Hang in there!
 
Wrangler, the PT had me put a large rolled up towel under my knee and then try to lift my leg. Really focus on tightening your quad. Also PT would hold my foot to assist in lifting it at first. My quad is still sluggish at 8 weeks but it was weak before surgery. I know how frustrating this is for you but it will happen when it is ready. Patience is the hardest part of this recovery!
 
They are working with me to increase my ROM. At around 52 degrees, I get a very sharp and intense pain (8-9) on the inside of my knee. My PT said this could be caused by damage to the Medial Collateral Ligament.
At only 4 weeks out? I don't think so! Much more likely due to the swelling and pain. I take it you read the articles Kelly left for you? There was one on the swollen leg - very pertinent to this.
I guess I just didn't expect to have this result. It's almost 4 weeks and I am still unable to do a leg lift and my ROM is horrible. Leg lift - nope, not even an inch.
You know it's perfectly okay to use a leg lifter to help get your leg going. This is a leg lifter - it's stiff so you don't have to go crazy trying to 'lasso' your foot! Or you can make your own. But just use it to help your leg into the air. You'll find that eventually it will make a big difference.

[Bonesmart.org] Limited ROM - CRPS
 
Hi @Wrangler
Remember that you are only a few weeks out. The healing process takes awhile. I found that out. I'm 13 weeks now and it is still a healing process. I have to work each day on my exercises and stretching. I no longer go to Pt so I'm on my own. I don't mind since I love to exercise and have added all the exercises that I did at Pt. I just don't have the guy stretching me out. I do that on the stair step, lunges. I'm not brutal like he was.
Your leg lifts will come as your leg strengthens. The muscles are healing also. This is one of the most extensive surgeries we can have. We have a new body part that we never had before. Be kind to yourself, this has to take the time it needs. Rest assured you will get the ROM that you want, just needs time.
Dana
 
Hi Wrangler, Iam having the same kind of pains on the inside of my knee like you when trying to push my ROM up! I am 8 weeks out and when I went home from hospital I was at 85 now down to 77. My P T has been aggressive to the point of a pain of 8-9 to get my numbers up. This forum is a wonderful place to connect and get great advice. I have learned a great deal here .You are not alone many of us are having the same issues you are having and it helps to talk to others who understand. Try to have patience and most if all have Patience with yourself. Take care.
 
@Wrangler - I feel like you could've written my story completely. I am at Day 10 and am incredibly discouraged at my pain levels and lack of progress. I am seriously considering getting a new PT as I think my current one is too obsessed with ROM and she even brought up MUA with me. Basically, she is trying to scare me into working harder...the issue is, I don't need to be scared or motivated by anyone, as they won't meet someone more motivated than me to get better! I, too, am in my 40s and I was in good shape before surgery. I did my pre-hab and was very optimistic. Today I either got to 50 or 55 unassisted (she was a hesitant about telling me for some dumb reason).

I ice every minute I am not up and walking or doing PT and I regularly elevate.

I will definitely keep up with your recovery, as you are a little ahead of me and I will be interested in seeing how you get things under control! I am sure you will, guess we just fall into that "slow healer" camp?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I DID IT!! Woot, woot! Five leg lifts with a slightly bent knee!

Happy Holidays! And thanks to all of you for dropping in. I appreciate the advice and encouragement.

@lunula I wish you every success and I will continue to share my story.

@numbzee I try and be patient but sometimes it is very difficult. I often check in here to remind myself to just let it be.
 
I accidentally posted my reply before I was finished.

I am still struggling with ROM - 53 at my last PT session. I have started massage therapy which seems to be helping. I really like my therapist and she is not too aggressive.

I really don't know where I would be if I hadn't found this forum. Once again, thank you all for your posts and for sharing your wisdom! :)
 
I have started massage therapy

Lymphatic massage therapy around my knee helped me immensely!
Great to hear you are improving; each day a little more and then.... you'll look back and see all of the progress you've made. :thumb:
 
:yes:
Hi @Wrangler, You did it!!! The massage will also help with your ROM. Keep reminding yourself that it is a one day at a time thing. Recovery is still going on and give your knee the time it needs.
Dana
 
Good news, Wrangler!!! So great to read that you've reached an important milestone!!! Time for celebration....things will keep improving....honest!! Patience is important, though.
 
Thanks! I got a couple more degrees today - 55 with no pain!!! Slow and steady ...
I am learning to take each day as it comes and to think positively.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom