TKR 3 Year Update

Those random aches and pains will happen for a while yet @Goma, but it sounds like you are making great progress!

Today is 4 months for me and I'm feeling good. I have no complaints, a little bit of stiffness after getting up but it doesn't last. Stairs are coming along and I feel my knee coming down not going up. Off pain meds completely and sleep straight through. Now I have to deal with the bakers cyst in my other knee and I'll be fine. Hoping it's not the start of something new as the other knee has never bothered me before.

An update on my left knee, I had an ultrasound which confirmed a baker's cyst for which I will have a cortisone shot. The pain in my knee is inflammation and I need to exercise my quads and take anti inflammatory pills. Fortunately there's no osteoarthritis on the x rays so all good and treatable without surgery. This has most likely happened because I relied heavily on this leg after my surgery. I hope that's the case.

Should I take antibiotics before I have a cortisone injection into my bakers cyst. Just worried about infection. Thank you.

Today is my 5 month update. I'm going well and have no issues that concern me.

I live my life doing all I the things I want with no complaints. I can walk stairs normally, shop and carry shopping for several hours, walk the dog to the park and do laps on the grass no worries, garden, bend, lift, swivel, do all my housework, and use my leg without being overly careful as I was in the beginning.

However I still am aware of being careful, it's a habit and I guess scared I may do something to damage my leg. It'll pass.

Sitting for hours in the car and standing don't bother me. Rarely I will get an IT band ache so I sit down with my knee elevated for a few hours and take it easy. It always passes. No more swelling or hotness so no more icing, it just makes me cold. No clicking, clunking or the feeling of giving way, my back pain is resolved.

As I rise from bed there's some stiffness but this passes after a few steps; to alleviate that I do some heel pumps and bend my knee a few times if I remember.

I'm focused on strengthening my quads by walking and doing squats. I don't ride a bike or care about long hikes or running; that was a past life and not in my future. No regrets.

I'm very happy that I can get through my day pain free and to move freely. I get tired, I suspect inactivity has made me unfit or it may still be healing, probably both.

I know that there are lots of uncertainties and not all recoveries run smoothly, I also struggled with many problems after surgery and thought I'd done the wrong thing but I'm there with I hope more improvement.

Without this forum and the helpful information and support, I would have been a mess after surgery and still check in to see how others are faring because unless you have replacement surgery, no one knows how tough this can be. My family see me carrying on normally and think I'm over it all but I'm not even though I'm cruising along nicely for now. Small steps.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are doing so well @Goma! :happydance: Even better is the fact you still have more healing to go so things should just continue to improve from here!

I had an MRI on my left knee this week as I've had a pain on the medial side of my knee that wouldn't resolve. Previously I had an ultrasound and X-ray which showed nothing other than a baker's cyst. The sudden pain happened after a day out with alot of walking on uneven ground. I saw the professor today and I have an "insufficient fracture". Small fracture and bone bruising which only shows on an MRI. I have some mild arthritis as well. Treatment is time to heal, staying active and pain management. he was surprised that I didn't need crutches to start with but I was OK. Should heal in a few months. So glad there's no surgery on the horizon as I was sure it was a meniscus tear. I had a cortisone injection in the back of my knee and this possibly caused more inflammation around the fracture. He questioned bone health and medication. I'm stopping anti inflammatory as it won't help. My right knee is great and now my really good knee. If there are any articles on insufficient fracture I'd be interested.

@Goma ... we don't have any BoneSmart articles specifically on insufficient fractures, but in taking a look at some of the scientific studies out there, I noticed that there seems to be a correlation between it and osteoporosis. If you haven't had a bone density test, I recommend that you see your GP about scheduling one.

I had one before my tkr and my endocrinologist said the reading was good. Bone density testing was the first subject he raised. Now I'm wondering if I should have another one to be sure although I don't think I'd go downhill that quickly. I'm going to raise it with my GP next visit. Thanks Jamie.

Can you change my title to Lily's 7month update. Thanks.

An update 7months on from my surgery. I'm living life and using my knee and leg as well as ever.

All the swelling is gone and the pain is nearly non existent. If I feel a twinge, I sit and rest for a couple of minutes and I'm up and about again. Usually it's my IT Band. I don't limit myself with any activity.

Now, I'm not running or jumping but I can walk and stand all day long and I'm fine. Stairs are good, ladder climbing is easy, carrying heavy shopping is fine, in the past my leg would buckle and swell. I now consider my operated knee my good knee as I have to nurse my other knee due to a fracture which I'm told will heal in time.

I still read all the forums and remember the physical and emotional pain, the sleep deprivation and the worry of will this ever get better. Time and patience in bucket loads is what's needed.

I'm so happy with my outcome to date and it's been all worthwhile although at times I wished I hadn't have done it. I can't squats, kneeling feels weird, occasionally there's little periods of quick bursts of pain, nothing prolonged that doesn't pass quickly.

Overall considering how I was pre surgery to now, no complaints whatsoever..

Lily, FANTASTIC report and one that should cause great optimism in all our struggling members! And you will continue to improve, I’m sure. Keep us posted.

Thank you for posting, Goma, gives us all that are still battling a hope for the future.

@Goma Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and post an update. It is so inspiring and comforting for those of us still going through recovery to see stories like this. You had an excellent surgeon and positive attitude AND you listened to what your body could do during recovery. I think that most people have good outcomes -- they are just too busy living life to seek out advice anymore! I hope that is where I will be sometime soon. Glad you enjoying life.

I'm so happy with my outcome to date and it's been all worthwhile although at times I wished I hadn't have done it. I can't squats, kneeling feels weird, occasionally there's little periods of quick bursts of pain, nothing prolonged that doesn't pass quickly.
At “only” 7 months post op you will most likely continue to see improvements as you continue to heal.

I‘m glad you’re doing so well at this point!

I read the new posts and about the struggles of recovery every night. I fully remember that pain and uncertainty, the associated worry and especially the depressed feelings. I still don't feel myself and I don't know why. I just feel different from before.

Recovery is different for everyone but it can be life changing in the best way in time. That's how it's been for me, I'm in awe of my new knee. Thank you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022