TKR 3 Year Update

8months for me a few days ago. My knee is doing well and I use it without much thought throughout the day.

I do almost everything I want to, I can stand for ages, walk all day, cross my legs, bend at the knees, climb ladders, carry heavy bags, there's very little I don't do. My unoperated leg is much improved for now thankfully. I still get a minor twinge occasionally, at the bottom of my knee cap but I give it a quick rub and it's gone.

I still tire at times, depending on how busy I am. We're doing alot around the house during times we're locked down and I've painted two fences out of boredom during our most severe lock downs and my knee was good. Up and down a ladder and standing for hours. I hit my knee hard on a piece of furniture the other day, very painful and I panicked but it was OK. Hardware must be strong in there.

I still read the daily posts and remember all the same concerns. I still worry and strangely find reassurance in other people's progress. For myself this is a successful outcome, it was awful at the beginning and even for a while later but at around 5 to 6 months things improved and I became stronger and almost pain free. Mentally I look at my knee and scar and it feels a bit alien but I know it's a part of me but I haven't quite accepted that yet. I think the scar always reminds me of how I was after surgery and it's not a fond reminder, rather one of pain and anxiety and all the problems addressed on the forums.

Bonesmart is my lifeline and so glad I found this wonderful group of people who genuinely care and support people when no-one else truly understands. I always told my family I was fine when in fact my knee was excruciating. They felt bad when I told the truth, then I felt bad for them feeling sorry for me so I tapped into bonesmart instead and was able to talk to the wonderful people here.

Glad I had it done and where I am currently. To anyone else, hang in there, eventually the healing just happens and life with a good knee gives you freedom to move as you please. Happy days!
 
Last edited:
Please change me to 8 months update
 
Goma, WONDERFUL report, and so helpful for those struggling in early days of recovery! Thanks for sharing this. Keep up the good work. BoneSmart is the best!
 
Thanks for sharing this report! I'm just at 16 weeks post surgery and have ok days and bad days, so it is good to hear that it can get much better in the next few months. Thanks!
 
It really happens, truly, every milestone is joyous no matter when it happens. I had terrible pain which is the norm in most cases but it did get better with time and using bonesmart for support and most importantly guidance.
 
Thanks for posting your update. It helps those in those early days see that there is light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Well 10 months for me in a couple of days and I'm progressing well. The knee is solid, strong and getting me through each day almost pain free. First thing in the morning there is still some stiffness which resolves after a few steps and very occasionally I can feel the surrounding muscles tighten up a bit but this is fleeting.

As always and described in earlier posts I use my leg without any thought. I have a bad habit of still putting weight on and favouring my other knee and I have to remember to stand on both legs rather than just one as I did before.

I also purposely use my new knee to carry weight when I lift something heavy and it's very reliable and stable.

In past posts I've described how hard it was in the beginning and for months afterwards but it was worth it all and the best thing that I have done for my quality of life. Hang in there, I always still read the posts and can completely relate to everyone's concerns but it usually does improve with time and patience. Don't know my ROM, don't care, things are working.

A million times thank you to bonesmart for a gentle ear and helpful advice.
 
Congratulations!
And thank you for your update. It does give a lot of encouragement to those of us who are still struggling.
 
Today is 12 months for me. I had a consultation with my surgeon and X-ray's are good and I'm doing fine.
The knee is strong, stable and performs well. I have no complaints or issues at all. Occasionally if I twist or move awkwardly I feel a twinge of pain but it's gone very quickly.

I still read the forums daily, I can relate to all the pain and worry. Comparisons aren't helpful but for me I can say it was the right decision and has improved my life.

Now my leftie is playing up and after an X-ray and MRI my surgeon is talking partial replacement but that's not happening any time soon. I can manage for now and would consider it next year if my pain worsens.

Please change me to Lily's 12 month update.
 
That's great news @Goma! :yes!:
 
Yay, we love hearing the good news! I pray that lefty settles down so you won't have to have it replaced. I found that as my new knee got better that my old knee settled down, too. Having the new knee take on more of the 'work' let the old knee relax more.
 
My right knee is allowing me to live actively and the left knee is having trouble keeping up. If I have a busy day the leftie gets sore and inflamed.

I'm considering cortisone but I've read conflicting reports. My surgeon said surgery is the eventual outcome and everything other procedure is just temporary.

The partial makes me more nervous than the total. Thanks.
 
Congratulations on being a Nana. I know all of my friends just beam when they take about the grands. I think I have to be content with two granddogs.

Great report on the right knee. Now, for the left. Try icing and elevating it, that’s a good pain reliever. As for a partial vs total, you don't have to make that decision today. Even when your ready to do it you can have the surgeon go over the "why" of the partial and decide from there.
 
Presently only one compartment of my knee is bone on bone. The rest of the knee is perfect. He said a partial would fix things and if I needed a total later on he could pop one in. He's an excellent surgeon, I wouldn't go elsewhere but his last statement scared me.
 
Happy to hear your right knee is doing so well :yes!: I had my left knee replaced in 2019, at the time my right knee was also showing signs of bone on bone, I noticed as my left got stronger my tight weakened, so that whilst I am able to do most things with my left ( I too get the odd twinges ) my right can no longer keep up fully, I could probably manage another year without surgery but I think why wait if this time next year I should have 2 good knees at 60 I feel to young to be missing out xx
 
He said a partial would fix things and if I needed a total later on he could pop one in.
He won’t just “pop one in.” It’s another major surgery with the same year long recovery.

We have members who do well with partials, and some who haven’t. I have not. I will never agree to a partial again. Not all surgeons have enough experience doing partials to give you a good outcome. Recovery from a partial is not any different than from a total. And, could be worse, depending on said experience of the surgeon! (like my recovery)
 
I agree with Jockette! I had a partial 5 yrs ago and it has never felt right. I would think long and hard about having a partial. And now I know that I will most likely have yet another replacement in the near future. I was told at the time that total replacement couldn’t be done because only one compartment was bone on bone and insurance wouldn’t cover.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom