TKR 3 Year Update

I rely still on my left leg heavily. My brain needs to be retrained to wake up to knowing I now have another good knee. Habits are hard to break. In a way I see my new knee as a bit of an alien, feeling a bit uncertain and unsure of what it will do for me and I haven't fully embraced it yet, probably because it's swollen and still intermittently painful. Everyday is a slog. I use my crutches more as the day wears on due to tiredness and stiffness. My right hip is sore which has never happened before and my left foot keeps cramping when I walk. I really need to concentrate on balancing my weight and walking with both legs. Just another problem to add to the list.
 
Yes, I'm concentrating, heel to toe and not walk rigidly, thank you for your reply.
 
Just another new pain I've been hit with, behind my kneecap is a pain that happens during the middle of the night. Sleeping on my side with a pillow to rest my operated leg on. I get up and walk around and it helps calm it down. What could be the cause, perhaps I'm not sleeping correctly but this is a new pain that's happened for 2 nights now. I don't do any pt at the moment other than daily walking. Thank you.
 
Pains will come and go for no reason with this healing. It's possible you moved wrong during your sleep and it angered your knee. It could also be what we call zingers, nerves reattaching causing shooting pains. When my knee woke me up paining I'd ride my recumbent bike for about 5 minutes. That would take care of it for a while.
 
Yes, activity helps and makes a difference. I'm having zingers all over my leg and an itchy scar as well. Every day brings something new.
 
Today the knee pain is gone. Why, I don't know but not complaining. I live in Australia and it's full on summer here so my husband and I went to the beach for lunch. It was the first time since surgery 6weeks ago that I've done something different. I was exhausted when I got home but mentally it really lifted me. Feeling positive and I slept well last night.
 
Not a good night, I have nerve pain from my thigh to my feet. It's excruciating tonight, swallowed a whole lot of pain pills and taken walks, massaged my leg, icing, leg pumps, hope I can get some sleep. Wow, what a rollercoaster, you think you're doing well and bam, something new hits you.
 
@Goma you said you went to the beach. Did you walk on sand by any chance? Walking on uneven surfaces sometimes bothers new knees. Ice and elevate and try to relax. All that activity is probably aggravating that tired knee.
 
No, not on the sand, wouldn't chance that. OK, to be honest, I had a bit of afternoon delight with my husband yesterday and I must have jolted my knee or extended it too much. I tried, I payed for it last night and bedroom activities are going on hold for now. Again, trying to do too much too soon. Hope this post is acceptable.
 
Aw @Goma , it's only natural that you want to get back to normal life (and of course your post is acceptable). Recovery is all about trying new things and finding the limits - then trying again another day. Take care!
 
It'll be more than days... My knee didn't approve...
 
I'd like to ask why there an opiod situation in the US. I live in Australia and there is no problem getting medication as needed.
 
@Goma You will notice I moved your post above to your thread. It's a good question and it's fine to discuss this. But the conversation would have derailed the original poster's thread.
 
Today marks 8wks 3 days since my tkr. I went to my OS today and he was extremely pleased with my recovery. I pointed out all my pains, aches, stiffness, numb areas, bouts of fatigue, zingers and swelling which can range from mild to agonising. He said it was all normal and would settle down even up to 6 months. He said it was major surgery and not to push myself, get plenty of rest and time would do the rest. He propped my leg on top of his knee, had a good look and feel and said it was looking good. No ROM measurement at all but he was more interested in extension which is where I'm lagging a bit. He advised stretching and said as swelling reduced it would improve. I had robot assisted surgery that provided 3Dimaging inside my leg that assisted with the placement of the implant. The day after my surgery he showed me photos of my knee in surgery and said that ROM and extension were checked so the full range would eventually be achieved. There was no discussion regarding physio or how much exercise I'm doing. I said my gait was off and my leg buckles, he explained that as my muscles got stronger that would resolve. He said my quad would switch on with passive exercise and as the weeks have gone by it has improved all the time. I have a great surgeon who only does knees and hips and has an excellent reputation especially with professional leading athletes and Australian sporting clubs and codes. I think my recovery and eventual outcome have alot to do with his skilled hands and expertise. I'm nowhere near out of the woods, still have alot of problems but I'll get there as the weeks go by. He doesn't want to see me for one year, I asked him, "are you sure? " he said "you're top of the bus" . Must be an Irish term.
 
Last edited:
No ROM measurement at all but he was more interested in extension which is where I'm lagging a bit. He advised stretching and said as swelling reduced it would improve.
There was no discussion regarding physio or how much exercise I'm doing. I said my gait was off and my leg buckles, he explained that as my muscles got stronger that would resolve
I love your surgeon and I've never even met him! I wish more of them felt this way. So many recoveries would be so much better.
 
I love him too, he's tall dark and handsome and so very nice and reassuring. Lovely Irish accent. With the amount of stress and concern on the forum regarding ROM and extension and other various ailments, I was worked up myself before my appointment but he didn't even ask. Just had a look at the X-ray and had a feel of my knee and said to take time and heal and stretch, walk and rest, sleep, eat well. He's an excellent surgeon with a stellar reputation and all my questions were clearly answered. I still have lots of aches and pains but I'm not freaking out anymore. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
I'm having a down week this week. Everything to do with this knee upsets me. Physically I'm having the same aches and issues as most people with recovery but mentally I'm spiralling down into a pit of being frustrated with myself, annoyed with resting, icing, elevation, nights of broken sleep and I'm moody which is the worst. My husband is supportive and helps when I need him but I feel terrible. Being needy isn't me. I know this will pass but it's a bad state of mind, inwardly I'm crashing ,outwardly I'm putting on a brave face so as not to concern the people I love. Just need to get it out there, tomorrow is a day closer to full recovery, thanks.
 
Last edited:
I totally understand how you feel. This recovery affects us emotionally as much as it does physically. :console2:
 
I did a lot of crying during my recovery. When I complained about it I was told to go ahead and cry, that crying is actually good for you. Physically, it helps to remove toxins in your body and emotionally, it a huge relief valve. So, cry as much as you need to. Don't be ashamed of your tears. Embrace them as being a good part of this healing process.
 
I'm not a crier but now I find I'm crying more often. I was watching a Harry Potter movie and was bawling my eyes out ,not my usual taste in movies and definitely wouldn't move me to tears. The recovery makes your emotions very raw. Anyway, it's 9am in Australia today and a new day, feeling more positive. Thank you for the replies.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom