Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

:) :-) (:
Good to hear Good News.
Hope all continues in an upward trajectory.:egypdance:
 
Had a very nice visit w/ Cookie. She is gaining on this thing!! PT & OT daily, gaining some strength and a bit of weight (back). She still has a very long road to recovery, but is “up” for that. No weight bearing & several more weeks before they will evaluate for another prosthesis. She did complain a bit about the other hip bothering & the thought of having that 1 replaced too. Is a Good Day!!
 
Sure like hearing she is doing so much better.:) :-) (:
As she is non weight bearing, I'm sure her other hip is catching it.
Perhaps with the new one finally settled that one will ease.:fingersx:
Hope you are doing well and staying well @SCaprae
 
Love these last few posts! Things are looking up. Thanks for updating, I’d love to follow this story to Cookie’s happy ending. I wish she’d join us here for encouragement, but certainly understandable if she doesn’t want to.

The best news is her renewed sense of hope. It seemed like she was in a free fall for a time and it was a bit frightening. Its so wonderful to hear about this turn around. The news that she’s mentioning her other hip and the need to address that one day is very encouraging. I’m sure after this nightmarish recovery, the other hip will feel like a piece of cake.
Have a great day and week! :)
Temps cooling leaves changing, my favorite time of year! :happydance:
@SCaprae
 
Texted w/ Cookie a bit today & things a continuing. Next appointment at Mayo is the 28th, may include discussion about the next prosthetic. We’ll see where that goes.
I received a follow up questionnaire a couple weeks ago for my left & right hips. Since filling it out & trying to get the local Clinic to accept the orders for the necessary X-rays: my right leg has been giving me “that familiar twinge” of pain. Gave up on the locals & scheduled the X-rays and a consult w/ the surgeon who has done the procedures. I wish I was just a hypochondriac, but my leg has brought back my limping. We’ll see where this goes too.
 
I sure hope there is a logical explanation for your symptoms, like you’re suffering sympathy pains for your friend, Cookie. :wink: Things have been going so well for you!

In all seriousness, I’m sorry for any stress, anxiety or physical pain this is causing you. Hopefully your appointment is soon and whatever you’re feeling is non threatening and resolves on its own quickly. Prayers for both you and Cookie. :prayer:
Please keep us posted.
@SCaprae
 
I also hope your appointment is soon... Some reassuring x-rays would be nice from the architect.
 
Appointment today: X-rays looked good & bloodwork showed nothing to be alarmed about. Bone scan and aspiration scheduled for Monday.
Cookie’s appointment to discuss replacement implant is Monday as well.
 
What wonderful news. Now for the same great news after Monday’s procedures.
Great update on your friend, Cookie, also. It’s encouraging she’s finally reached this stage and hopefully can move forward without incident. It’s been a long haul. Something you certainly have in common with her. I’ll say a prayer for each of you. Please keep us posted.
Enjoy the weekend!
@SCaprae
 
Bone density and hip aspiration (forgot how “fun” this was) completed. Culture results in 2 weeks and waiting on density results. The fluid was darker than “straw” colored but not “too cloudy”. Spent the day in different waiting areas & had enough time to read/research all options & am fully prepared to move forward with their recommendations.
Texted w/ Cookie & her husband: they will be there most of the day tomorrow. Hoping for the best.
 
Hoping for the best for you and for Cookie. :fingersx: :angel:
 
Well, let’s hope for the best for both of you.
Hopefully your pain eases and you receive favorable results. Please keep us posted.
A good week to you.
@SCaprae
 
Cookie didn’t get the news she was hoping for. Infection still present & she (and her husband) are still digesting the news & options.
 
Ten months in and your friend is still coping with challenges. It’s heartbreaking. I hope she finds consolation in talking with you as you share all you’ve learned through your own experience. Prayers for both of you.
@SCaprae
 
Results from bone scan. Bright areas indicate white cell activity / potential infection sites. The longer stem is the right leg/side.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Life After SCaprae
    EE1D951B-DD1D-44ED-A08E-82F8A1FD4321.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 253
  • [Bonesmart.org] Life After SCaprae
    E84152C7-88DF-4E71-A24F-DD19DFDDC10B.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 260
I’m sorry you could be dealing with infection again. :sad: Hopefully the results you’re waiting on indicate otherwise.
@SCaprae
 
Appointment at Mayo today, mixed results: no infection in the cultures, unable to determine if the prosthetic has loosened. Treatment prescribed for “stress reaction” / 40 lb weight restriction and crutches or walker for 6 weeks (ODIC club life member). Follow up appointment in early January.
Have been in contact w/ Cookie, she is “hanging in there “ but not a lot of good news to report.
 
Hello and Happy Friday to you :wave:
Good news the results showed no infection. Sorry you have to endure the restrictions. Dealing with those limitations should take you right up to, or through Christmas. Hopefully you’re rewarded for your efforts, the “familiar twinge” goes away and you can begin the new year back on track.

I hope 2021 brings healing for Cookie also.
Best wishes for a pleasant weekend. :)
@SCaprae
 
Into the third week on crutches, have seen improvement w/ regard to “that familiar twinge”. Have been following care providers directions: 40 lb weight limitation for right leg/hip & the use of crutches or a walker (6 weeks). Though it’s a bit difficult at times to resist the”siren song” of the ODIC, I have managed. Next appointment is on January 6, new X-rays will be compared to the most recent at that time.
Cookie is now at home (bed & lift and familiar faces providing care), waiting her next appointment at Mayo to see what the next step is. She did get thru a bout of COVID w/o too many issues, though it was instrumental in the decision to move her home.
 
Yay...for the twinge not rearing it’s ugly head as frequently, or intensely, whichever pertains. :banana-santa: I hope you continue to behave, feel stronger week by week and receive good news to start out the New Year at your appointment on January 6th.

Poor Cookie...almost one year later, I believe, since it all began. It’s good to hear she’s home at least. I can’t believe she had to deal with a bout of Covid along with everything else. All we can do is hope and pray things turn around for her drastically in 2021. Keep us posted and have a good rest of the week!
@SCaprae
 
Back
Top Bottom